Degrafting moon cactus

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
anniedee

Degrafting moon cactus

Post by anniedee »

Hi all! I have never purchased a moon cactus before given their relatively short life span. However, I was recently gifted one with a green scion. I know the rule of thumb is that gymnocalycium mihanovichii cannot survive on their own due to lack of chlorophyll, but the one I received is green and yellow. Does it have enough green that it would be able to survive on its own if I attempt to degraft it? Or should I just enjoy it while it lasts? Thanks so much!
70A34D28-13F9-4F54-A3A4-2813911BB2E9.jpeg
70A34D28-13F9-4F54-A3A4-2813911BB2E9.jpeg (91 KiB) Viewed 7081 times
Douwe

Re: Degrafting moon cactus

Post by Douwe »

Wait until the moon cactus has grown pups. Then take few big pups and plant them in soil. If they survived it after half a year(They should have roots to tell if it can do photosynthesis) then you can degraft it.
Sorry for my bad English…
CurtisMarauder

Post by CurtisMarauder »

I'd say that's green enough to survive on its own, but in my experience degrafting these guys is very hit-or-miss. In my case, just miss. Don't do it without rooting hormone.
cacthis

Post by cacthis »

I think it will survive on its own root. If you let it grow bigger before degrafting, I think you will have better chance of success.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Douwe's method is probably the safest, if it does grow pups.

As was implied, rooting variegated cacti depends on whether they have enough green chlorophyll producing tissue to thrive on their own roots. The red and orange "Moon Cacti" of course have none therefore they or their offsets can only be grafted onto another stock, never rooted down.