Why does the seed pod root?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
kuzey_cephe

Why does the seed pod root?

Post by kuzey_cephe »

Hello, this is my first question/post on the CactiGuide.

First of all, I am very lucky to have found CactiGuide. I can find answers to many of my questions thanks to old topics. Thank you to all the growers who have shared their experiences.

As for my question, today I noticed that the seed pod of my hybrid lobivia formed some roots. I've never encountered anything like this before. Does anyone have any clue as to why it might have happened?
lobi4.jpg
lobi4.jpg (104.28 KiB) Viewed 675 times
lobi3.jpg
lobi3.jpg (55.45 KiB) Viewed 675 times
My Location: Istanbul, Turkiye
DaveW

Re: Why does the seed pod root?

Post by DaveW »

That is adventitious rooting (adventitious in botany = of a root, shoot, flower etc produced from an unusual part of a plant.) Whilst unusual in Lobivia it does occur in a few of the "chain fruit Opuntias" where fallen fruit will often root rather than the seeds germinate and also if remaining green on the plant the next years flower will form on the previous years fruit, often for many years giving a chain of fruits becoming effectively stem segments hence the "chain fruit" name.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0

Fruits and shoots are produced by the areoles in cacti and can occasionally even though starting off as one change into the other, flowers to offsets and vice versa. I note the small offset on your plant is also producing roots and its not unknown for cactus offsets to do this whilst still attached to the main stem. Maybe your flower actually is actually turning into an offset rather than a fruit and it will be interesting to see what develops.

Unlike many plants cactus flowers are actually a flower sunk into a stem end so that outside of the fruit is actually stem tissue anyway therefore is like an offset with a flower and seeds embedded in it. Theoretically any stem tissue with areoles can produce roots. See the explanation by Jackson Burkholder on cactus flowers halfway through the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JbAkV6XMbY

Another phenomenon in some cacti is endogenous vivipary where the seeds germinate within the fruit before being shed. I have had it happen in some Eriosyce (Neoporteria) fruits. How many actually survive compared to the un-germinated seeds shed I do not know.

Scroll down link to see pictures.

https://academic.oup.com/jxb/article/58/14/3865/458849
kuzey_cephe

Post by kuzey_cephe »

Thank you very much DaveW for your answer. I will carefully review the video and the article.
DaveW wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:44 am Another phenomenon in some cacti is endogenous vivipary where the seeds germinate within the fruit before being shed. I have had it happen in some Eriosyce (Neoporteria) fruits. How many actually survive compared to the un-germinated seeds shed I do not know.
I have read this before, but I do not think that the seeds will germinate and take root in such a short time. It had just opened its flower.

19 May 2023
19may2.png
19may2.png (326.82 KiB) Viewed 662 times
DaveW wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:44 am Maybe your flower actually is actually turning into an offset rather than a fruit and it will be interesting to see what develops.
DaveW wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:44 am That is adventitious rooting (adventitious in botany = of a root, shoot, flower etc produced from an unusual part of a plant.) Whilst unusual in Lobivia it does occur in a few of the "chain fruit Opuntias" where fallen fruit will often root rather than the seeds germinate and also if remaining green on the plant the next years flower will form on the previous years fruit, often for many years giving a chain of fruits becoming effectively stem segments hence the "chain fruit" name.

This is the first time I've heard of these. I will continue to observe. Let's see if it will turn into a Fruit Chain or Offset. If there is any progress, I will share it here again.
My Location: Istanbul, Turkiye
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Very intersting. kuzey_cephe, please do go on & show us, how your plant developed further.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.