Plant labels/ plant tags

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Carpkel

Plant labels/ plant tags

Post by Carpkel »

I am curious what all of my fellow succulent collectors put on their plant labels/ tags. What information do you put on and what do you use to mark the labels?
I put my inventory number and the common name on the one side. The other side will have the scientific genus and species name.
I use a sharpie to mark the label, but will have to refresh it after the markings fade. This year, I will be experimenting with a paint marker to see how well it holds up.
Aiko

Re: Plant labels/ plant tags

Post by Aiko »

For self sown seedlings, I put the year of sowing first, then a reference number to an excel sheet, then the genus and (sub)species name, and locality data (if available). I can write three lines of text with my label printer, so I make use of it. It's simple copy and paste from my excel sheet anyway.

Printed labels I stick to aluminium luxaflex I use for label holders and I have cut to size.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I'm currently pretty lax in labeling, relying on memory. But that is not working out. I use pencil on plastic labels to write the name and sometimes the source and date.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Carpkel

Post by Carpkel »

It was nice to hear from all of you
7george

Post by 7george »

jerrytheplater wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:56 am I'm currently pretty lax in labeling, relying on memory. But that is not working out. I use pencil on plastic labels to write the name and sometimes the source and date.
The same with me. Labels just mess with plants and pots. Have a notebook with some important notes about the seeding/purchasing history and transplanting schedule of plants. Also tons of photos of my and other plants seen everywhere.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8