Handy Gizmos

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
FredBW

Handy Gizmos

Post by FredBW »

Just wondering what "clever" tools or devices others on here might have.
One I didn't think i would ever use for cactus is a Bonsai soil sifter. Seedlings get finer grit and perlite etc. Bigger cactus get heavier grit sifted out and put on top. Cactus soil often has things we don't want in it. I mix my own soil,and couldn't do it without one.The one i have has 3 different size sieves that set in a basket. My Bonsai interest has all but vanished,but my soil sifter gets used all the time.
Another one i wouldn't be without is a turkey baster. For watering (giving little sips) cacti in winter it is a must have. Watering smaller cacti in the summer it is also a must have.The cheap 2 dollar ones work just fine,and you can direct water exactly where you want it..

I am sure others on here have all kinds of ideas :wink:
Minnesota
Location: St. Louis Park, MN. Zone 4b, Great Plains/Upper Midwest

Re: Handy Gizmos

Post by Minnesota »

As most of the work in my space is with seeds, seedlings, and small plants, I have found that a couple of sizes of flashlights are helpful. As well, a small teaspoon for digging, planting, soil placements, etc. The more unusual would be a jeweler's loupe, a hand magnifier, several types, sizes, and lengths of forceps, small fine scissors, a blunt dental elevator, a mister, and a small watering pot. But, again, I'm working in large trays of seedlings/just-germinated plants. --bret
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes I use one of the Bonsai riddles or sieves. The fine one will remove the clogging dust from many materials used in potting.

They are freely advertised on British EBAY and probably originate in China so will be on most countries EBAY if you search for "Bonsai Sieves" or whatever you call riddles or sieves in your language. The ones with several different sized detachable sieves are best as Fred indicates.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... e&_sacat=0
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Do you know those cacti cloves? -- They are out of tough plastic to protect the hands and have long bristles as a hand brush to protect the cactus. I love to handle bigger cacti with them, especially those with strong spines as Stetsonia coryne.
https://www.kakteen-haage.de/en/accesso ... -3-cm.html

Interesting that there is a special turkey baster! (I am from Germany where turkey usually comes in small pieces, not as a whole bird. :-) ) I just know something originally from the doctor's tools:
https://www.kakteen-haage.de/en/accesso ... -tool.html

Just as Minnesota I use cutlery (tin versions) for digging, weeding etc. To get a small cutling out of the soil without harming the tiny roots, nothing like a fork or cake fork!
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

There used to be a UK cactus nursery that produced various bristle ended devices as well as gloves but seem to have stopped now. If I can't handle plants using my hands I use two balled up rolls of newspaper.

Even breaking the old pot at times to avoid damaging the plant. This may be sacrilege to Americans exhibitors who grow in fancy pots, but in the UK the plant is always considered more valuable than the container and we don't usually grow in fancy pots ours being cactus rather than ceramics shows. In fact most grow in plastic pots these days, plus the pots do not really feature in our judging anyway.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?&q=H ... ajaxhist=0
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Besides the things already mentioned here I would to add a ‘fan brush’, which is a type of artist’s brush. The soft haired ones are good for the occasional dust-off. The tougher ones are good for a wide variety of applications.
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Yes, Dave, rolled newspapers make splendid "handles" for big enough cacti. This is why I always keep a bunch of DIE ZEIT here, which offers the largest pages I know of. :D

About pots: Is it really true that in the US fancy pots are all the rage...? :shock: I never heard of that before and never saw pictures of that here in the forum.
Or maybe the US-Americans here in the forum prefer "practical", i.e. plain, pots...?
Would somebody from the US help me, please?

Curious thanks
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

nachtkrabb wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:34 pm Yes, Dave, rolled newspapers make splendid "handles" for big enough cacti. This is why I always keep a bunch of DIE ZEIT here, which offers the largest pages I know of. :D

About pots: Is it really true that in the US fancy pots are all the rage...? :shock: I never heard of that before and never saw pictures of that here in the forum.
Or maybe the US-Americans here in the forum prefer "practical", i.e. plain, pots...?

Curious thanks
N.
Speaking for myself only, I follow Dave's view. The cheapest plastic pots I can find or low fired clay pots sealed with clear spray paint. I like how some people make a kind of diorama in their pot by adding a rock/s or piece of wood to simulate a natural scene. That really appeals to me.

There is a thread where a member shows off his artistic pots that really do look cool. https://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47670
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

nachtkrabb wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:34 pmOr maybe the US-Americans here in the forum prefer "practical", i.e. plain, pots...?
I can help, although it's not just about our US members...

Nurseries in the US use square plastic pots to maximize their growing (and therefore selling) space. However, many dedicated brick-and mortar cactus and succulent nurseries grow specimen plants in what Dave calls "fancy" pots which they'll show at the nursery and at c&s shows such as the big Intercity show taking place in SoCal every August. I've visited a fair number of private collections, and I'll see a mix of plain and "fancy" pots in those collections -- the cacti and succulents in "fancy" pots are the ones collectors take to shows.

While I can't speak about what other US members are doing, I decided to go strictly with glazed/high-fired ceramic pots for a couple of reasons -- one practical and one aesthetic:
  • Compared to mass-produced pots, handmade pots come in a much wider variety of sizes. The pots I selected over the years made it easier to size the pot properly to the roots of my cacti. IMO that's the best way to avoid overpotting or cramming roots into a pot which is clearly too small. That's my practical reason.
  • Here's the aesthetic reason -- handmade pots by talented potters complement the plants. I have zero interest in ever taking my cacti to shows, but the show I get to see outside the front door of my apartment every day puts a smile on my face.
Ruth, go here...

viewtopic.php?p=401568#p401568

...and you'll see some of the ceramic pots in my collection. That's just a sample -- some of the "fancy" pots I have on the plant bench really aren't so fancy. Since I'm limited to 12 square feet of growing space, I can afford to stick with glazed and high-fired ceramic. However, if growers have the space to maintain hundreds or thousands of plants, it would only make sense to reserve "fancy" pots for the ones with the best growing qualities. It's all a matter of personal preference, and different people have different preferences.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hallo Steve,
thank you for your comprehensive answer. I do hate the standard factory terracotta which hurts the roots. But your "plain" handmade glazed pots really are beautiful. I wouldn't say no to such pots either -- not to mention your wonderful plants.
N. :P :o =D>
Last edited by nachtkrabb on Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I use various devices for cacti propagation. attached photos are some of them.

Photo 1: Various sizes of chopsticks are used for repotting of cacti including seedlings.
Photo 2: A small comb, Degrafted ariocarpus are hairy. I comb their hair from time to time.
Photo 3: A small tongs, I use Pereskiopsis as grafting stock and handling of pots is unsafe. I pick pots up by this tongs.
Photo 4: Small scissors, Off-shoots of Pereskiopsis stock come out vigorously. I cut off-shoots off by this scissors.
Attachments
Photo 1
Photo 1
IMG_3177 - Copy.JPG (95.3 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
Photo 2
Photo 2
IMG_3179 - Copy.JPG (74.15 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
Photo 3
Photo 3
IMG_3178 - Copy.JPG (89.53 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
Photo 4
Photo 4
IMG_3183 - Copy.JPG (142.68 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hanazono wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:14 am (...)
Photo 2: A small comb, Degrafted ariocarpus are hairy. I comb their hair from time to time.
Photo 3: A small tongs, I use Pereskiopsis as grafting stock and handling of pots is unsafe. I pick pots up by this tongs.
(...)
Hallo Hanazono,
that sounds funny to me having no Ariocarpus that you actually comb them. Do you get particles out of them, or are you giving them the latest hair-style...? :oops: :lol:
But such tongs I for sure would like to get, too. They look very handy.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

jerrytheplater wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:17 pm (...) There is a thread where a member shows off his artistic pots that really do look cool. https://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47670
Hallo Jerry,
somehow I missed your post last time. Now I followed your link -- thanks. Those pots really are a show. I should love to use some of those, too. Art but practical.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning nachtkrabb,
that sounds funny to me having no Ariocarpus that you actually comb them. Do you get particles out of them, or are you giving them the latest hair-style...?
It is not for the latest but it is for the hair-style. Since I keep Ariocarpus in greenhouses, no particles are over Ariocarpus species.

Hair on top area of Ariocarpus stand up because hair on this area grow newly. On the other hand hair on lower parts stick over tubercles.
I comb hair on lower parts and lift them up.

It depends upon your opinion but I think the ornamental value is increased by the above job.

Two photos of Ariocarpus which are attached for your information. They are combed their hair.

Frank
Attachments
A. retusus v furfuraceus cv Daruma Seiji
A. retusus v furfuraceus cv Daruma Seiji
IMG_1708 - Copy.JPG (126.04 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
A. retusus v furfuraceus
A. retusus v furfuraceus
IMG_1802 - Copy.JPG (106.29 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

Frank, You have some of the most perfect cacti I have seen pictures of. Truly awesome =D>