Temperature?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
JCcares

Temperature?

Post by JCcares »

Tonight where I live in NC the temperature will drop for a few hours to 48 degrees Fahrenheit.

Can I keep all my 98 different cacti outside while the temperature drops below 50?

Thank you very much ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
DaveW

Re: Temperature?

Post by DaveW »

Depends on how hardy the species or genera are? 32F (= 0C) is freezing point and will mark some plants and will kill the more tropical ones. If you have to leave them outside at such low temperatures cover them with a layer of newspapers and a sheet of polythene or similar over that until the temperature rises. How cold tolerant they are will also depend if they are still in growth and being watered or are now dry and being hardened off so not growing. 48F is not that much different to 50F, but 16 degrees above freezing.

https://www.necps.org/how-cold-can-cact ... hardiness/
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Hi Joe,

Based on years of experience, I can tell you that overnight lows in the upper 40s won't be a problem as long as you keep your cacti dry. I think you have all of them in your greenhouse, and if that's the case, you'll be fine. If you watered recently, hold off on watering again until the overnight lows are consistently above the low 50s.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Steve Johnson wrote: โ†‘Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:18 pm Hi Joe,

Based on years of experience, I can tell you that overnight lows in the upper 40s won't be a problem as long as you keep your cacti dry. I think you have all of them in your greenhouse, and if that's the case, you'll be fine. If you watered recently, hold off on watering again until the overnight lows are consistently above the low 50s.
Got it Steve your my Cacti hero. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

DaveW wrote: โ†‘Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:56 pm Depends on how hardy the species or genera are? 32F (= 0C) is freezing point and will mark some plants and will kill the more tropical ones. If you have to leave them outside at such low temperatures cover them with a layer of newspapers and a sheet of polythene or similar over that until the temperature rises. How cold tolerant they are will also depend if they are still in growth and being watered or are now dry and being hardened off so not growing. 48F is not that much different to 50F, but 16 degrees above freezing.

https://www.necps.org/how-cold-can-cact ... hardiness/
Thank you David. Iโ€™m glad they are all dry. You guys and gals are the best. Crazy weather. Todays high was 80
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

The smoke from the Canadian wildfires was really thick and plainly visible amongst the trees. Looked like the fire was right nearby. And it was chilly. Never got above 70 and windy. Nights are in the high 40's F. I've been bringing in my Madagascar Euphorbia overnight.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.