Who's on Instagram

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Carpkel

Re: Who's on Instagram

Post by Carpkel »

My Instagram is: @sunnyside_cactus
Carpkel

Post by Carpkel »

mmcavall wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:06 am For a long time I avoided it...but I finally succumbed.
marcelo_cactos_etc
I tried looking up your Instagram page, but
could not find it. Is there a typo in your name?
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

@ohugal
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
EliWhitney3140

Post by EliWhitney3140 »

mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Carpkel wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:22 am
mmcavall wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:06 am For a long time I avoided it...but I finally succumbed.
marcelo_cactos_etc
I tried looking up your Instagram page, but
could not find it. Is there a typo in your name?
Sorry I quit Instagram and deleted my account
7george

Post by 7george »

Instagram is not what it suppose to be. Just chicks there showing their buts and small business advertisement.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

7george wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:23 pm Instagram is not what it suppose to be. Just chicks there showing their buts and small business advertisement.
True. I've unneccesarily spent a lot of time setting up filters to avoid this. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. I just skip the home page and only look at posts by the people I follow. There are people who put a lot of effort into their posts, e.g. indefenseofplants, crime_pays_but_botany_doesnt, ... I think it's a matter of being selective and not relying on the platform/format too much.

As I understand it, the more systematic you publish posts, the higher your visibility. Which means you have to publish regularly and I personally don't have a collection of such a size to achieve this. There are growers for example who have interesting collections, but in order to keep up with the algorithm their posts tend to become repetitive. Not to say I don't respect what they're doing, but sadly that's kind of how it works.

This always reminds of the statement made by the visual artist Douglas Huebler: "The world is full of objects, more or less interesting; I do not wish to add any more."
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
BenCSS

Post by BenCSS »

I started a page recently, I sell plants/ handmade pots at the Cactus and Succulent Society of Greater Chicago show and sale, and every year I get a few people asking for my Instagram page.
https://www.instagram.com/benswordcss/
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

BenCSS wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:10 am I started a page recently, I sell plants/ handmade pots at the Cactus and Succulent Society of Greater Chicago show and sale, and every year I get a few people asking for my Instagram page.
https://www.instagram.com/benswordcss/
That Operculicarya decaryi reminds me how utterly "obscene" my Etsy bonsai pot purchase was last night. When many collectors have exceptional looking succulent plants, they often like to present them in this pleasing visual style (including myself). Why not?
SarrCrazy

Post by SarrCrazy »

Personally, I love IG. Met so many good people and growers on there.