Opuntia infested with Cochineal insect

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
gizzmo

Opuntia infested with Cochineal insect

Post by gizzmo »

Please help.
My large plant (over 10 feet tall) has this bug everywhere. Just a year ago it did not have any of this. I have tried Neem oil but that does not seem to work. I have not tried the water spray due to the location of the plant. I have to wait till the cars in the parking area are gone before i can do that, so I am waiting for that opportunity.
I will try attaching photo- I can not get real close to it due to my handicap but hopefully this will help.
:shock:
Kathy in Phoenix
Attachments
20230608_112248-1.jpg
20230608_112248-1.jpg (94.53 KiB) Viewed 293 times
20230608_112253.jpg
20230608_112253.jpg (110.42 KiB) Viewed 293 times
Steve Johnson

Re: Opuntia infested with Cochineal insect

Post by Steve Johnson »

See this and go to the section on Cochineal insect:

https://www.cactiguide.com/cactipests/#mealybugs

Unfortunately I can't recommend systemic soil soaks for cacti growing in the ground, so IMO the only thing you can do is take a garden hose with a sprayer attachment and blast the Cochineal off with water. Given the size of your Opuntia, I'd say that it'll be pretty much impossible to have it die from Cochineal infestations.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
gizzmo

Re: Opuntia infested with Cochineal insect

Post by gizzmo »

Steve, It is reassuring that this little bug will not kill my cactus. It started as bird droppings when I moved into my home 35 years ago so I am rather attached to it. Thinking of getting it trimmed a little. The picture of me standing next to it was 2018 and it towers above me now and is hanging over my patio wall.
I will do the water when my neighbors move there cars-I am hoping soon.
Thank you so much for your imput- :cheers: \:D/ O:)