cactus scar

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
yaarhamza

cactus scar

Post by yaarhamza »

Hi, can anyone help me identity the problem with my cactus? Is this a normal scar or what?
Attachments
IMG_20230620_003420 (1).jpg
IMG_20230620_003420 (1).jpg (64.42 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
jerrytheplater

Re: cactus scar

Post by jerrytheplater »

Looks dry and normal to me. Things happen we don't realize and the plant scars over it.

Let's see what others say.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
yaarhamza

Post by yaarhamza »

so this would stay like this forever or heal at some point in future?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Such epidermal cracks can sometimes be due to splitting of lignified tissue when the plant suddenly takes on water. Its right down near the base so will usually be lost as the plant grows. In many cacti with age the base lignifies and becomes like a trunk of a tree which we often term "corking" or "barking" (= forming a bark as a tree does) once that part of the stem can no longer photosynthesise. Collectors and Exhibitors like to postpone barking as long as possible preferring unblemished green tissue, but plants age just as humans do so we all get a bit gnarled with age.

https://janemming.com/2018/07/24/stem-s ... causes-it/

https://www.sublimesucculents.com/what- ... 20a%20tree.

http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/mauseth/Resea ... 20text.htm
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

Also, the "corking" although unattractive , serves a purpose in the cactus stability. "Corking" keeps the cactus from imploding on itself or collapsing if the base tissue isn't rigid enough to support the weight of the cactus.
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

Embrace the scars, they tell the story of your plant. I have a Ferocactus hamatacanthus that I forgot in my car on a hot day and 90% plus of the epidermis completely scorched in the sun and heat. That was in the summer of 2019. It scarred over and is now growing fine, albeit "with a story to tell."

In the pic you can see the scarring circumferentially around the base with the normal growth up on top. Adds character. :lol:
Ferocactus hamatacanthus.jpg
Ferocactus hamatacanthus.jpg (306.44 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hello, Yaarhamza,
what I think more interesting: How come this plant is that red? Looks like a Gymno to me that had been grafted & turned red, but then was taken off its "graft" to get its own roots again. :?
DaveW wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:26 am (...) which we often term (...) "barking" (...)
Dave, I love that: Loudly barking cacti! Hooray! :lol: And I'm becoming barking mad. :lol:
English is such a great language.
zpeckler wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:49 pm In the pic you can see the scarring circumferentially around the base with the normal growth up on top. Adds character. :lol:
Zpeckler, I like your plant. Just think how strong it is that it survived that day & with only a bit of scar...! I am impressed. =D>
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

All our UK trees bark as they get older, but they bark silently! :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bark_(botany)
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

DaveW wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:30 pm All our UK trees bark as they get older, but they bark silently! :lol:
Cool. :lol: :shock: :lol:
BTW, in German "Borke" (f., noun) is one word for "bark". Don't tell me they are not related.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.