Email notifications?

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
Lefty

Email notifications?

Post by Lefty »

Are email notifications sent for replies to one's posts? If so, how to enable? Doesn't seem to be working for me.
MrXeric

Re: Email notifications?

Post by MrXeric »

When you post a new topic, scroll down before submitting and click the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MrXeric wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:57 am When you post a new topic, scroll down before submitting and click the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box.
I believe I did so at least once to no avail. Is it the same as "watched topic" in |User Control Panel|Overview|Manage subscription| - as topics I'm interested in appear there but no email notification.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Lefty wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:35 am
MrXeric wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:57 am When you post a new topic, scroll down before submitting and click the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box.
I believe I did so at least once to no avail. Is it the same as "watched topic" in |User Control Panel|Overview|Manage subscription| - as topics I'm interested in appear there but no email notification.
You have to do it for every new topic you post or every time you reply to someone else's post. I looked around the settings and if you go User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit notification options and you'll get a list of notification types and you'll have the option whether or not you want an email sent for each one.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MrXeric wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:30 am You have to do it for every new topic you post or every time you reply to someone else's post. I looked around the settings and if you go User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit notification options and you'll get a list of notification types and you'll have the option whether or not you want an email sent for each one.
Did you mean 'Manage subscriptions' ? It says:
"Below is a list of forums and topics you are subscribed to. You will be notified of new posts in either. To unsubscribe mark the forum or topic and then press the Unwatch marked button."

This suggests the default is 'notify'. It doesn't expressly say by email (I get notifications at login via the bell icon). I've checked 'account settings' and the email is correct. As I'm typing I can see the 'Notify me when a reply is posted' in the 'options' tab is pre-ticked.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Lefty wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:54 pm
MrXeric wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:30 am You have to do it for every new topic you post or every time you reply to someone else's post. I looked around the settings and if you go User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit notification options and you'll get a list of notification types and you'll have the option whether or not you want an email sent for each one.
Did you mean 'Manage subscriptions' ? It says:
"Below is a list of forums and topics you are subscribed to. You will be notified of new posts in either. To unsubscribe mark the forum or topic and then press the Unwatch marked button."

This suggests the default is 'notify'. It doesn't expressly say by email (I get notifications at login via the bell icon). I've checked 'account settings' and the email is correct. As I'm typing I can see the 'Notify me when a reply is posted' in the 'options' tab is pre-ticked.
No, I am talking about these options:
cactiguide notifications.PNG
cactiguide notifications.PNG (82.17 KiB) Viewed 10161 times
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MrXeric wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:16 am No, I am talking about these options:
Somehow I missed that tab - thanks. I can confirm email boxes were checked for:
- Someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked
- Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed
- Someone creates a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed
- Someone replies to a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed

I'm not a regular so not getting emails isn't a big problem. Just have to remember to check the forum if I've left any queries.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Lefty wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:00 am
MrXeric wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:16 am No, I am talking about these options:
Somehow I missed that tab - thanks. I can confirm email boxes were checked for:
- Someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked
- Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed
- Someone creates a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed
- Someone replies to a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed

I'm not a regular so not getting emails isn't a big problem. Just have to remember to check the forum if I've left any queries.
Ah, OK. You may need to contact the site owner daiv. I remember unchecking some of these when I first registered, thinking I would avoid spamming up my inbox. But the forum ended up not being so active, so that would have not been an issue. :lol:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Thanks. I've mailed admin.