Escobaria minima etc.

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
jerrytheplater

Re: Escobaria minima

Post by jerrytheplater »

jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:12 pm Hi Keith, in the seed swap sub forum you said to look over here to see seedlings you sometimes sell. What do you have available now?

Thanks, Jerry
Back on Feb 24, 2022 I bought some of Keith's seedlings. They included Escobaria minima. Two out of the three of mine just bloomed this season for the first time since I bought them from Keith. Thanks again Keith! The pots they are in are 2.5 inches in diameter and 3 3/8 inches deep. They are plastic containers I brought home from work rather than throwing them out. They contained electroplating metal salts, are very thick and are made out of Polypropylene, a #5 recycling code. Nice free pots once you drill holes in the bottom. I think I'm going to visit there and see if I can get anymore now that I am retired.
rsz 2023-6-21 Escobaria minima side.jpg
rsz 2023-6-21 Escobaria minima side.jpg (126.3 KiB) Viewed 12654 times
rsz 2023-6-21 Escobaria minima top.jpg
rsz 2023-6-21 Escobaria minima top.jpg (134.05 KiB) Viewed 12654 times
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
keith

Re: Escobaria minima etc.

Post by keith »

Hi Jerry nice :D I went back to work for some reason so have less time for cactus, maybe I'll retire again in a year :D

Of course now I can buy a greenhouse
keith

Post by keith »

Planted Mesemb seeds and had a little more germination than I planned on .. Lithops, Conophytums,
Argyroderma. Upper middle conophytums upper left and right Lithops , lower left conophytums , middle Argyroderma and Lower right lithops . Some from my plants many sent to me by a friend in AZ . Have more seeds Just need to find space .
Attachments
Winter mesembs
Winter mesembs
mesembs.jpg (134.05 KiB) Viewed 12423 times
Mesembs
Mesembs
mesembs2.jpg (88.53 KiB) Viewed 12423 times
keith

Post by keith »

Some seed grown conophytums not exactly sure of the species .
Attachments
conophytums
conophytums
20231118_131243-min.jpg (123.74 KiB) Viewed 12238 times
conophytums
conophytums
20231118_131252-min.jpg (126.53 KiB) Viewed 12238 times
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

keith wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:42 pm Some seed grown conophytums not exactly sure of the species .
Nice conos, is it their first year flowering? The tiny fuzzy one looks like C. stephanii (subsp. helmutii?)
keith

Post by keith »

Yes first year flowers. the little one is the oldest and only survivor from a mixed seed package from mesa which had poor germination.

It was my first try at conophytums back around 2018 ? I now have hundreds of tiny plants from my own seed they are not hard to germinate if you have good seed. I could write about my old soil mix working way better than a new mix I tried but individual growing conditions vary so much its hard to say whats going on .
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Yeah, the seed germinates easily. It's the keeping them alive, especially through their first summer, that I have trouble with!
keith

Post by keith »

Conophytums I think you have to get them as big as possible in that fist 6 months so they survive Summer dormancy . last years seed were in mostly sand and they look mostly dead now but my new seedlings are looking good so far :D

Lithops seem to be easier than conophytums from seed ? Cactus often the most difficult from seed , easy to rot and they stop growing if kept too dry. I think Mexican desert cactus need real heat something I don't have .
MiguelCactus

Post by MiguelCactus »

keith wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:15 pm Turbinicarpus dickisoniae grown in 2019 seeds from Aiko . Some grew up faster than other .
Turbinicarpus dickisoniae has radial spines, but the central one is flexible, nothing like in that image, maybe an hybrid.
"A cada paso que damos se nos recuerda que en modo alguno gobernamos la naturaleza como un conquistador"
Nino_G

Post by Nino_G »

MiguelCactus wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:06 am
keith wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:15 pm Turbinicarpus dickisoniae grown in 2019 seeds from Aiko . Some grew up faster than other .
Turbinicarpus dickisoniae has radial spines, but the central one is flexible, nothing like in that image, maybe an hybrid.
Also, T. dickisoniae has white to yellowish flowers, not pink.
keith

Post by keith »

Planted more cactus seeds Epthelantha bokeii a few up, M lenta , M humboltii , Escobaria robbinsonii nothing yet, Turbinicarpus Polaskii one up one rotted, Turb lophophorides nothing yet, M meiacantha many coming up very small seeds, M schumanii nothing yet.

These were planted about 1 week ago. Pictures when there's something to see.