(Sowing) Where do you put the organic part in a pot: on top, in the middle or at the bottom?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
yonnoy

(Sowing) Where do you put the organic part in a pot: on top, in the middle or at the bottom?

Post by yonnoy »

Hello, I am about to sow new cactus and haworthia seeds.

I will use 80% inorganic part and 20% organic but I am hesitating about where to put the organic part in a pot: on top, in the middle or at the bottom?
(layers)

I think that in nature the "organic part" is at the top and I can reproduce it. Do you have experiences on this topic?
Last edited by yonnoy on Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerrytheplater

Re: (Sowing) Where do you put the organic part in a pot: on top, in the middle or at the bottom?

Post by jerrytheplater »

It sounds like you are thinking of making layers in your pot. That is not correct. You need to mix your potting mix thoroughly.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Tom in Tucson

Re: (Sowing) Where do you put the organic part in a pot: on top, in the middle or at the bottom?

Post by Tom in Tucson »

🖒
Last edited by Tom in Tucson on Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

jerrytheplater wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 pm It sounds like you are thinking of making layers in your pot. That is not correct. You need to mix your potting mix thoroughly.
🖒
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

I personally Do 90/95% gravel chips then add a thin top layer of topsoil just to keep the humidity and moisture. I grow in 100% gravel once they mature a bit and it works great for me but the growth rate is a bit slower