Post winter watering

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
jerrytheplater

Re: Post winter watering

Post by jerrytheplater »

I brought my cacti and succulents that stay indoors all winter in the heated house outdoors for a few days last week and early this week. Getting them acclimated to full sun. They've been watered lightly all winter. I've given them full soaks and fertilizer twice now. Brought them indoors yesterday because of forecasted cold (high 30's-low 40's F at night) and rain. Back to the LED lights.

I still have not soaked my cold hardy and cool plants. They are outdoors in the shelter of the garage now. One of my Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus ssp. rubriflorus purchased last summer from Miles' To Go has bloomed already. My Eriosyce (Neoporteria) senilis has lots of flower buds. I see a few buds on my Sulcorebutia arenacea.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
MikeInOz

Re: Post winter watering

Post by MikeInOz »

Most Mexican and Sth Texas species should be given a late start. Mid to late spring regardless of the temperature. They are not really active until it's regularly quite warm. Astrophyum asterias and Ariocarpus come to mind. They get their first drenching in summer in my area. Rebutias etc should not be watered until their flower buds are quite advanced but a daily light spray is good for them. When the buds show definite colour you can water. There is no need to rush watering cacti in spring and a delay in watering will not bother them. I am a believer in small doses of water at first. I use a pressure sprayer to deliver small amounts. No nutrients are need at this time. Also, if the water is cold I use one of these to take the chill out of it. https://www.amazon.com.au/Immersion-Por ... e8ede8ac23