Simple beginners soil mixture help

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
CoffeeAddict

Simple beginners soil mixture help

Post by CoffeeAddict »

Well, I am the newbee who just got home from homedepot. I saw some cacti/succulants and snapped up 5 of them. Now I am trying to figure out a simple soil mixture for them as they each came in 1" clay pots. They will be house plants in the midwest area. I figured something like 1 part sand, 1 part peat and 1 part top soil. I have tried cacti before with no luck. They always die on me. :(

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

I'd replace the 1 part peat with either perlite, pumice or gravel. Try to use a gritty sand like concrete sand, they sell it at home depot for less than $3 for a 50lb bag, its with the cement products.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Welcome to the group here!

Have you read this page yet?

http://www.cactiguide.com/growcacti/

I would definitely avoid peat. If you are in the midwest, you really need a lot of inorganic material. Try something more like 10 parts pearlite and 1 part potting soil if you want something really simple. I've heard both sides for sand, but I generally consider sand not very useful. I think it is too dense and binds up the mix. You're better with loose airy material like pummice or pearlite.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CoffeeAddict

Post by CoffeeAddict »

I appreciate your help.

I have read that web page. After reading through it I thought I'd make my own mix with 65% pearlite, 10% peat & 25% topsoil. But I will probably try the system you mentioned as it is easier and I tend to be a bit lazy.

Problem is that I do not know which kinds, most likely both, that I have. Desert vs. jungle. I wanted to put them into the same pot but now I think I may have to do 2 pots. I have also read through many web pages from this site and it seems that there is no one solution for the mixture. I am going to go to a real greenhouse today and see what they have in terms of a pre-baged mixtures. Again, I am a fairly lazy person.

Again, thanks.
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

Hi,

If you have problem identifying your plants and deciding what's best for them, post some photos of your plants in the "Help With Identification", if you can. You'll soon get a response for your queries. And, keep the peat part out for many reasons. I think it would be better at this stage and much more convenient if you could get pre-mixed cactus mix.
-Mughal
ag10

Post by ag10 »

I don't know what the compositions of premixed / bagged cacti composts are in the rest of the world but here in the UK all the ones I've seen contain a large percentage of (sphagnum) peat.
I'd check the contents carefully before buying!
Alan