Cactus (Oct. 2007) Turbinicarpus roseiflorus v. albiflorus

A more in depth look at individual cactus species, a new one is added each month -managed by Hob
templegatejohn

Cactus (Oct. 2007) Turbinicarpus roseiflorus v. albiflorus

Post by templegatejohn »

Turbinicarpus roseiflorus v. albiflorus
(Backeberg) Frank

Growth Habits: The plant is globular and almost always solitary, up to 1.2 inches tall (3 cm), 1.6 inches in diameter (4 cm); fibrous roots. The body colour is a dull green, but if the plant is getting too much sun it can begin to redden, a sure sign that some light shade is needed. The ribs consist of transversely extended, rather prominent tubercles. It has 1 (to 2) central spine; 9 to 13 radials, the lower ones tend to be much shorter

Scientific name: Turbinicarpus roseiflorus

Common names: None that I know.

Synonym: None that I know.

Etymology: The name is derived from the Latin turbineus, meaning shaped like a spinning top, and the Greek karpos, which refers to the fruit. Roseiflorus of course means red flowered. Albiflorus means white flowered variety.

Origin: Mexico.

Light:
The plant will take some sunshine, but seems to be happiest in light shade. Check on your own growing conditions. The information in the growth habits section may help.

Compost: A good open compost is essential for this plant. Turbinicarpus are more sensitive to wet conditions than most.

Water: Careful watering is essential. Try not to water over the plant as the crown of the plant can become woolly and is spoiled by watering onto it. The plant can also rot at the crown if care is not taken.

Flower: White funnel-shaped flower, up to 1 inch long (2.5 cm.) The photograph describes them far better than I ever could. In the roseiflorus plant the colour of the flower is red.

Fruit: The fruit is oblong, about 5mm. and is a brownish colour at maturity.

Min. temp:
In winter keep at 55°F (12°C). The plant may well stand lower temperatures for a short while if the compost is nice and dry.

Cultivation:
Turbinicarpus can be a little temperamental, but if you have a little experience there should not be a problem. I have had the one in the photograph for several years and it has grown very little in that time, although it is healthy enough. The worst thing one can do is to try to stimulate the growth by over-feeding or over-watering.

Habitat:
The habitat is Mexico, but the exact location where the original plant was found is unknown.

Comments: Although this particular plant is listed in its own right in many books, there are on-going discussions as to whether it is actually a hybrid. Until these are finalised i will continue to keep the name as above. One of the advantages of keeping the genus Turbinicarpus, even though when they are not flowering many are very similar, is the fact that they remain small and quite a large number can be grown in a relatively small space.