Compost ingredients

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
templegatejohn

Compost ingredients

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Everybody,

I wrote on this subject earlier regarding the use of Perlite and Vermiculite and got some interesting and informative replies.

Now I would like to ask if anybody is using leaf mould in their potting mixtures and if so what are the benefits and also the quantities (percentage) used? If it's O.K. to use I would probably sterlise it in the microwave when my wife isn't looking.

I live on the edge of a large wood and the stuff is readily available, beech, oak, sycamore, you name it.

Cheers, John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

John,
It looks like you haven't got any response on this one yet. One of the most experienced cacti growers I know personally uses Oak Leaf Mold in his mixture along with pumice, coir, and a couple other ingredients I can't remember for sure. I believe he keeps it down to around 10-15% of the mix. You'll see a lot of images on CactiGuide.com that are from his personal collection. The name is Gene Schroeder.
templegatejohn

Leaf mould

Post by templegatejohn »

Thanks for the advice Daiv, I was starting to get a bit desperate, as I am getting ready to pot on some of my plants. This is the type of advice you can't always get from books and this is what makes the Forum so worthwhile.
John