Cactus of the Month

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

May I make a plea for some less familiar plants? And from a wider range of locations?

I've been looking at the cacti featured so far and there is rather a heavy skew towards US & Mexican plants (approx. 2/3) and those in the tribe Cacteae (approx. half). There are many tribes as yet not featured: Browningieae, Calymmantheae, Hylocereeae, Rhipsalideae (within the subfamily Cactoideae) and Notocacteae and Pachycereeae only have one each. In the subfamily Opuntioideae only 4 plants have been chosen, from the Cylindropuntieae and Opuntieae tribes, all US/MX natives.

I realise that some of these tribes (though by no means all) are relatively small but it would be nice to the odd representative now and again.
Show us something we haven't seen before!
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all,

Almost the end of another growing year. this one seems to have passed really quickly (perhaps it is my age). I could not resist using the plant I have done for December, even if it is not the real Christmas Cacti. I hope that you all have a happy and peaceful Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

Best Wishes Everybody,
John
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Nice choose John. A true beauty the inspire to Christmas spirit.
Nobody can say Bah-Humbug to that one.

Oh, your not alone in the age bracket with years flying by :wink:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

I love these plants. I have several and I am so grateful to them for their beautiful flowers at a time most of the other plants are asleep.
Dominique
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Bill and Dominique,

Glad you both like the choice. Yes, age is a terrible thing Bill. I still feel like I could run through a brick wall and if I could run, I would. I am at that age where I have stopped fighting with the grandchildren, as they always win. Mind you one of them is nineteen years old and 210 pounds. I usually get him when he's not looking.

I love the plants for the same reason Dominique and they never fail to please.

Hope you both have a wonderful holiday season,

John
xturmin8or

Post by xturmin8or »

Thank you for doing that one. It seems that because most people have one of these laying around somewhere, it is often ignored for some of the more exotic species. Not that I am against the rarities, in fact schlumbergera opuntioides, or s. microsphaerica would be a good choice for next December, but I just wanted to say you're doing a wonderful job on these!!! :thumbup:
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!!" Patches O'Hoolihan
Adrian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I agree! I have two colors and they're both in bloom right now. (My only cacti in bloom right now.)
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hello Everyone!

I've been talking to John on PM and he is ready to retire from putting up the Cactus of the Month and the Succulent of the Month features. This feature was his invention and I think he developed it beautifully. He wanted me to share the knews and find if there was anyone who would like to "carry the flag" from here. So please do let me know if you are interested. We can have one person for succulents and one for Cactus too.

Daiv
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- John has done such a great job! His approach will definitely be missed. I would offer to do it but I've already posted pics of pretty much all of my plants, at least once. :-)

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Good point Peter. To you and anyone else interested, You do not have to use your own pictures. All of the pictures on this site are available for use.

We can get creative also. For example we can list out all the headings in a post and all users can contribute data, then one person can put it together in one post like John did.
hob

Post by hob »

i don't mind maybe having a go at the cacti, but i don't know anything about succulents. :?
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

Cactus of the Month is a terrible thing to lose, as well as Succulent of the Month :? I may contribute with some data, but since English not my native language I can only contribute :oops: But together we can do this, I guess :)
/Christer
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I'd like to help out, but my knowledge is pretty limited.

Maybe we could all work together on this...maybe a poll or something each month. The members pick a genus and then whoever wants to contribute, can pick a species and post it up. This way we could have 3-5 Cacti/Succulents of the month all within the same genus.

just a thought...
hob

Post by hob »

test post for cactus of the month

Echinopsis ancistrophora ssp. Arachnacantha (Buining & Ritter)

Growth Habits: Small heavily clumping plant with bronze or green stems each head is up to 1.5 inches (4 cm)

Scientific name; Echinopsis ancistrophora ssp. Arachnacantha

Common names: None that come to mind.

Synonym: Lobivia arachnacantha, Echinopsis arachnacantha, Pseudolobivia arachnacantha

Etymology: From the Greek echinos sea urchin opsis appearance
The species name "arachnacantha" comes from the Greek arachn- spider, spiderweb acantha A sharp spiny part or structure. Referring to the spider-like spines.

Origin: Bolivia

Light: Full sun to light shade.

Compost. A free draining standard cactus mix.

Water: Regular water in spring to autumn.

Flower: The normal flower colour is yellow but red and also white flowers occur in cultivation.

Min temp: Hardy to 25°F (-4°C), for short periods.

Cultivation: Easy to grow and remains quite a small plant.

Habitat. Stony, grass and scrub covered eastern and central valleys and slopes, in places with irregular and low rainfall.

Comments: A good plant for beginners as it is not very demanding and takes up little room. If allowed to go below 45°F (7°C) in winter and kept dry it should flower in spring to early summer.
incurable cactoholic
hob

Post by hob »

any comments on the above test would be welcome :) i thought keeping Johns format would add consistency to the look of the section and maybe in the future if there are enough pages a small booklet could be published for beginners. (with the permission of all the contributors)

i would also like to take this opportunity to thank John for his great contribution of 72 pages of reference work already done.

Well done John =D> and thanks for sharing this with us all =D>
incurable cactoholic