Stapelia's shriveling

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Rob

Stapelia's shriveling

Post by Rob »

I've got two Stapelia gettleffii's which, ever since bringing them in from outside for the winter, have been shriveling from the tips of the stems down, a few stems at a time. The stems get slightly discolored first and then start shriveling. I've tried more water and less water, with no noticeable difference - any ideas on what's happening?

Thanks,
Rob
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Hello Rob, I can't say I'm sure what's happening, but first thing I'd do if I can't see anything obvious above soil level is check the roots, to see if they're healthy, or if there's some sort of pest infestation such as root mealy.

Heading into winter dormancy, I'd be wary of giving them water now.

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I transplanted the surviving one (of the two) yesterday and didn't notice any obvious signs of root mealy bug, but I guess they could still be there. So, what is proper winter care of stapelia's? Are there any good sites on the web with stapelia care info?
Thanks,
Rob
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Rob wrote:I transplanted the surviving one (of the two) yesterday and didn't notice any obvious signs of root mealy bug, but I guess they could still be there. So, what is proper winter care of stapelia's? Are there any good sites on the web with stapelia care info?
Thanks,
Rob
I'm guessing that your winters are probably a bit colder than here in Tas, winter temps where I live get down to about -2 degrees C, on frosty nights so I keep mine bone dry for the late autumn and winter months. I grow mine in an unheated glasshouse, and they survive those temp quite well. If your temps are colder than that there may be benefit in taking the plant indoors for winter. I definitely wouldn't have mine outdoors during the cold months, (never tried putting them outdoors in the warmer months either).I don't have many species, so am by no means an expert... probably more of a mug in fact.
I personally have found that a light well draining potting mix with good aeration works best, - I use perlite to provide aeration).

This cultivation info on the shoal creek succulent site seems pretty sound...
check it out here.

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Oh yeah, mine definitley come indoors for the winter (as do most of my succulents). They end up staying in for close to 6 months, unfortunately, because of the temperatures here.
Thanks for the link to the Shoal Creeek page - very helpful info there!
Rob