Aloe and agave seeds

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Mark

Aloe and agave seeds

Post by Mark »

I sowed some aloe lutescensa, aloefleurentinorum, and agave pygmae, seeds about 3 to 4 weeks ago and I haven't had any of them grow. I was wondering if there is any special things that I need to do.
Thanks
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Mark,

Heat is very important. I try to maintain at least 80 deg F soil temp. I also find that there is some seasonality to the germination process. Some species just don't like fall or winter.
Buck Hemenway
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mark, I have to be honest and say I have not had any experience of sowing either genus, but as Buck says the heat is essential and some of the seeds with hard coatings sometimes need a good soak before sowing, or even 'chitted' if they are large enough to do it (the seed coating nicked with a sharp knife, to allow moisture to enter). The other thing is (and I have only read about this) a trip to the freezer for a few days before sowing, sometimes does the trick.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS PATIENCE, DO NOT DISCARD THE SEED POTS, THEY MAY SURPRISE YOU. CACTI AND SUCCULENT SEEDS CAN GERMINATE VERY ERRATICALLY.

John