Eliott's Grow List

This forum is reserved for you to post a list of what you grow and/or what you want to trade -no discussion posts please
Eliott

Eliott's Grow List

Post by Eliott »

Last edited by Eliott on Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"And the sun sank again on the grand Australian bush—the nurse and tutor of eccentric minds, the home of the weird, and of much that is different from things in other lands." -- Henry Lawson, The Bush Undertaker
Tony

Post by Tony »

Well you have to start somewhere.
I started with an aloe that was left behind by the previous owner of my house.
Actualy it was the only thing still alive in the front yard when I moved in!
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
cactusplantqueen

Post by cactusplantqueen »

its a good start, atleast youve got one for flowers and one for foliage!

i dont have self control when it comes to buying plants, my tiny concrete garden is jam packed with plants, i could never do simple and modern! i first started with a really old holiday cacti from my nan that was left outside through summer and winter for 4 years! its been eaten by slugs and really until it puts on any new growth is quite ugly but kinda sweet! so thats why i called it betty :wink: for those who watch a certain show! and a tiny mammillaria cacti from a diy store, i didnt water it and the main stem dried up! but i managed to save a tiny tiny branch, its big now!
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

Be careful Eliott, if you dont watch yourself soon enough that list will be over 1000 pages long.

Your aloe vera plant will flower as well, and you can use the sap, if you havent already. only disadvantage is the excessive water requirements of the plants :roll: they deserve to be moved to a non succulent genus :lol: . I thought they were supposed to be succulents, the things need more water than any succulent plant ive ever known. (mabey its just my climate). also they really hate the sun, and will grow best indoors.
Eliott

Post by Eliott »

Haha, well, succulents are good at STORING water, but that's not to say they're always good at USING water. :P It could just be your climate though. Compared to a lot of places, Australia does have some harsh weather.

I keep my aloe plant indoors mostly, and it seems to need watering on about the same schedule as my Truncata does. I'd say I water them both, on average, every three to five days, depending on how dried out I let the soil get.
"And the sun sank again on the grand Australian bush—the nurse and tutor of eccentric minds, the home of the weird, and of much that is different from things in other lands." -- Henry Lawson, The Bush Undertaker
Eliott

Post by Eliott »

cactusplantqueen wrote:its a good start, atleast youve got one for flowers and one for foliage!

i dont have self control when it comes to buying plants.
I know the feeling! I'm looking at moving to New Mexico whenever I finish university in a few months, and I'm going to have a wonderful time there with all of the cactis. I should even be able to start growing some opuntias outdoors since the climate should suit them. After that, I might get some more aloe vera plants for outside.

Beyond that though, the only cactum that I desperately want to get my hands on is a Weberbauerocereus johnsonii or similar-looking cactum so I can have at least one that has the stereotypical Saguaro-esque look.