Which stage are you at?

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

okay, well if we're going by post count im an addict. :oops: 686 posts, joined 05 December 2007... 7.38 posts per day.... what more can i say.. i love cacti... i love this place.. and i love you guys!
but hey.. you just hit 300 Paul... joined 12 jan 2008...5.45 posts per day..not far off and haha youre profile is funny:
Occupation: Sitting at a desk trying to look like I know what I am supposed to be doing.
hahaha :lol:
cactusveda

Post by cactusveda »

very difficult to put myself in a single stage. to start with, bought a few cacti. then planted grafted ones in ground and first monsoon all in heaven! then joined the forum, learned to post images and now go allover india looking for cacti, buy them . plant them at my farm and now they are almost in half an acre. TO ME, SOME DIFFERENT STAGES ARE TO BE ADDED.....1.buying a camera and upgrading it just for pictures! 2.requesting the people having cacti but not caring them to hand it over to your collection! 3.probably the ultimate aim from my point of view....is to develope your collection into a BOTANICAL GARDEN KIND!!!!!!!!and last but not least to WELCOME THE GROUP OF CACTIGUIDE MEMBERS VISITING MY COLLECTION :shock: :shock:
bitten by cactus collection bug
lordarutha

Post by lordarutha »

You are as bonkers as the rest of us. :D
Paul.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

cactusveda wrote:3.probably the ultimate aim from my point of view....is to develope your collection into a BOTANICAL GARDEN KIND!!!!!!!!
Thats our thinking as well!!

Since getting bit by the bug, we've visited so many gardens and always marvel at the plants all living in harmony together. It's just such a mesmorizing sight, we just had to have it surround us at home.

However, living in Southern California, getting a large plot of land for a really big garden is next to impossible. 2 Things work against us...housing development grows faster than weeds. You need a fat bank roll to buy around here. It's either get he land and have 2 plants and live off mac & cheese or use what ya have, eat steak and have a ton of plants :D
TimN

Post by TimN »

Cactusveda wrote: 2.requesting the people having cacti but not caring them to hand it over to your collection!

I had to laugh at this one. My mother has some nice plants but does not invest much time/effort (not a problem, just not her thing). I have given her some nice plants that I've been tempted to ask for back.

Excellent additions, CV!

Tim
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

CoronaCactus wrote: However, living in Southern California, getting a large plot of land for a really big garden is next to impossible. 2 Things work against us...housing development grows faster than weeds. You need a fat bank roll to buy around here. It's either get the land and have 2 plants and live off mac & cheese or use what ya have, eat steak and have a ton of plants :D
I can totally relate to that!

One of our members in the OCCSS bought a place in Borrego Springs -prices are still fairly low there as you can imagine. Of course you can't live there and make a living and commuting is not feasable, so they have to visit their plants. Certainly some trade offs with that setup, the worst they told me was rabbits decimating their plants while they are not there.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
hablu

Post by hablu »

What stage? mmm... an overloaded greenhouse, a cactished for the summer, in wintertime the livingroom, the veranda, the study and the bedroom full of cacti and succulents. Getting sad and angry when something dies. Taking cacti with on the hollidays to see them flower. Having a quarrel with the stewardess when I try to take a large Opuntia in the plane back from Crete. In one dutch, two english and one french forum.
What stage is that?? 4??

Harry
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

I don't think these stages are neccessary. We all know we're beyond turning back :lol:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

daiv wrote:
CoronaCactus wrote: However, living in Southern California, getting a large plot of land for a really big garden is next to impossible. 2 Things work against us...housing development grows faster than weeds. You need a fat bank roll to buy around here. It's either get the land and have 2 plants and live off mac & cheese or use what ya have, eat steak and have a ton of plants :D
I can totally relate to that!

One of our members in the OCCSS bought a place in Borrego Springs -prices are still fairly low there as you can imagine. Of course you can't live there and make a living and commuting is not feasable, so they have to visit their plants. Certainly some trade offs with that setup, the worst they told me was rabbits decimating their plants while they are not there.
Yup, thats about where we are at...actually, land can be bought reasonably cheap, still nothing to just drop cash on! but it's the commute and not being able to be close to your plants for proper care that really bugs me. But it seems like the only solution if your a regular joe living in SoCal.

hehehe, you can buy a nice plot of land near Joshua Tree Natl. Park...if ya like being within a stones throw of the San Andreas fault line :roll: