prune dead looking "branches" of large pereskia?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
joycere

prune dead looking "branches" of large pereskia?

Post by joycere »

I have a pereskia (now taller than my (one story) house that I planted 20 plus years ago when it was small. Every winter it drops its leaves and leafs out in the spring, blooms, eventually fruits (by late summer) and the cycle repeats. I have never pruned it. Now (early spring) a couple of branches are leafing out, some areas look green but no leaves, and much of it is brown. Would it be harmful to cut back the brown part? It has always lived through such weather extremes as we have (Tucson AZ, 2500 ft., 12 inches rainfall/year on average). I irrigate some, the same this year as in previous. Help!
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello joycere,
first of all, welcome to this forum. I am sure you are going to enjoy the people and hope, that you will benefit from our exchange of ideas and knowledge.
Now to your question: As a person with a Master's degree in Horticulture I learned long ago, that pruning back dead plant material is always a good idea. So, if you are certain that some stems (branches) of your Pereskia sp. plant are dead, go ahead and cut them off. If nothing else, your plant will look better. Pruning, especially in early spring will cause the plant to form side branches and it is invigorating to the plant. The major problem that could crop up is that pathogens could be introduced into the injured part that remains on the plant. So, if you do decide to cut into live plant tissue, make sure that your pruning shear or knife, saw, etc. is truly clean. Desinfect the tool with either isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol or with a water/bleach solution. I do prefer to use the alcohol, because it does not corrode the pruning tool and evaporates quickly, but still will kill fungi and bacteria. Your cactus plant would callous over, usually in a short time. Here in dry El Paso, Texas, a protective callous layer is already formed within a day or two. I would only cut into a live cactus, if the plant is either too large and thus causing a problem or if a rot has started and "emergency surgery" is indicated.
If you only chop off dead wood, make sure that you do make a flush and smooth cut. Because the plant part is already dead, it is not important to sterilize your pruning tool.
I hope, that these lines will be helpful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to post them on this forum. Somebody will most likely respond within a reasonable time frame. You may get several different answers. Then of course it is up to you to go with the majority or pick what you believe is the best response.

Harald