Ungrafting

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Franj

Ungrafting

Post by Franj »

Hello again :D

I have a question about grafting, or rather ungrafting. Some may wonder why I want to do this, it's just that I so hate the look of grafted cacti. I understand that in the case of some variegated cultivars it's the only way to grow them. But what about the species that are grafted simply because they may be difficult to grow on their own roots? Can they be ungrafted successfully?

I picked up a gorgeous Astrophytum cultivar recently. For some reason grafted. I've never had any problem growing Astros on their own roots or rooting offsets of any types of cacti. Do you think I could cut it off the grafting stock and root it like an offset? Should I leave some of the grafting stock, or cut it completely away?

Thanks,
Franj
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

If you're sure about yourself, cut if off and let it root like a plain cutting. I don't know how likely it is that it'll be successful, but it shouldn't be too difficult (especially with Astrophytum).
Franj

Post by Franj »

Hello DieTer-Xz,

Yes I think it would be successfull. I would sure hate to kill this plant though. It's a beausty. I think it would look great without the grafting stock. Here's a pic

DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Wow, it's very, very nice! Maybe you should wait 'till the others react, it's always possible they think you shouldn't risk it.
Congratulations with this one! It's just fabulous!
Franj

Post by Franj »

Yes thats good advice. It's still winter here so I think I would wait another month anyway.

Thanks, Franj
Franj

Post by Franj »

Here's a view from the top.

DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

That's an even nicer picture :D!
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Franj,

As I said in the other post (species) I would de-graft it, but not until it is showing signs of growth, i.e. the sap is rising.

There are a number of schools of thought and as they say you pays your money and takes your choice.

One school is that you make your cut just below the graft, thus leaving a small portion of the grafting stock on the Astrophytum, leave the cut to heal and then encourage roots to grow in the usual way. The plant then is to all intents and purposes still on a graft but one that is invisible. Thus you have the benefits of a graft without it being seen. Possible better growth, more immunity to cold (depending on the stock) etc.

The second school of thought and the one that I would use, certainly with an Astrophytum is to make the cut above the graft, i.e. through the body of the Astrophytum. Again allow to heal and then encourage roots in the usual way. I would cherish the stock with the small portion of Astrophytum attached and hope that it started to throw small offsets of the Astrophytum. Always a possibility.

Regarding why it was grafted in the first place. many of the Japanese growers who are obsessed with producing differing forms of Astrophytum look through their seedlings and any that are showing signs of being unique in some way are grafted to speed up the growth of the plant as much as possible. Some of the more unique forms are treated like their Koi carp and bring enormous sums of money.

Yours is a beautiful plant and I am very envious, but I wouldn't dash out and buy that big ranch just yet. :wink:

P.S. If you already own a big ranch, just send me the plant.

John
Franj

Post by Franj »

Hello John,

LOL, no big ranch yet :D Just a little house on the desert. Thanks for your reply. The first method you mentioned was suggested to me on another board as a safer way to do it. But I'm intigued with the prospect of possibly getting some offsets, who knows maybe a year from now I could send you a little one of these gems :D. For now I'm going to re-pot it and fatten it up so It's good and healthy for it's future surgery some time in early summer. I'll decide then on the method.

Also, while I have your ear (or I guess it would be eyes) I want to congratulate you on your Cacti of the Month presentations. They are wonderfully done and very informative. Specially this last one. You've got me looking at my M. theresae with a magnifying glass :D

Regards,
Franj
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Degrafting is not a problem IF, your growing conditions allow successful culture of the ungrafted plant. In the case of Astrophytum, these conditons are easily met by most. Just make sure the the grafted plant is growing and healthy then cut away. Dry off as any cuting and pot it up. Best to do this during an active growing period for the scion in question. Reguarding offsets, cut ABOVE the graft, leaving a good bit of the scion on the stock. The remaining bit should produce offsets soon.