Flowering lophophora Williamsii Caesipitosa...White Flowers?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
stormer88

Flowering lophophora Williamsii Caesipitosa...White Flowers?

Post by stormer88 »

I posted a pic earlier of a Loph I bought as a Flowering LoWill Caesipitosa. It only has one small head growing from a large big head grafted to a Pereskiopsis Sp.

Now that it's started to bloom it's bloomed 2 flowers side by side and they are a pinkish white with more white being evident.

I'm posting a pic of it before blooming and after maybe someone could let me know if they think it is actually a LoWill Caesipitosa or maybe something else. The ribs actually looked similat to a fricii with how they look but that could be just because hjow bloated it's become from the peresk. I'm also no expert so I could totally be wrong in my observation. I have also read that fricii usually dosn't have white flowers but Pink. Could this be a Caesipitosa? It dosn't seem to be pupping like my other caseiptosa's. Only 1 on it's side. Maybe it's just a regular Williamsii?

CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Pretty sure it's not williamsii. I'd guess at L. diffusa.
iann

Post by iann »

It wouldn't be normal for L. fricii to have flowers like that.

It also wouldn't be normal for L. williamsii var caespitosa which is not considered to have stripy flowers, but my personal thoughts are that var caespitosa is not a coherent related group of plants and can look like anything it wants, with the proviso that it clumps. Var caespitosa on a graft should pup up like a complete lunatic.

Fattened up on Pereskiopsis I can't really say much more about it, I wouldn't trust what the body looks like and the flowers don't narrow things down for sure. Even the colour is odd, not what I would expect for L. diffusa but also a striking grass green for L. williamsii.
--ian
stormer88

Post by stormer88 »

Thanks. I was thinking more towards Diffusa because of the flower color. It does have some pink in it thoe. I would also think that since it only has one pup that wouldn't be normal for Caesipitosa. I have a few Caesipitosa grafts and they have pupped like crazy. I have some of the Clumping kind and some of the regular Caesipitosa. I agree it also has a much darker green than my others.

Heres what my confirmed L Williamsii Caesipitosa looks like flowering and the flower and color is totally different.

This one is grafted to a Harrisa and has over 20 heads already, but it is supposed to be the Clumping variation. It's nothing like the one in question when comparing pupping or flower colors.
Loph

Post by Loph »

my guess would be koehresii, as the flowers look very similar and its not pupping much. but like Iann says, grafts, especially pereskiopsis, can make the scion look very unnatural to what it may have looked seed grown.

but even grafted, i would still put my money, maybe just a little money though, on koehresii.
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
stormer88

Post by stormer88 »

Most people I've asked agree with you loph. It's probably koehresii. I had originally thought before it bloomed that it could of been Fricii due to the rib structure looked nothing like a Williamsii but now it's bloomed it sure does look like Koehresii. Especially since only one pup had formed. From what I understand a Caesipitosa would of pupped much more by the time it got that large.

Thanks for the ID guys. I'm glad I can depend on you guys with so much more experience than I.
Loph

Post by Loph »

keep in mind, like mentioned above, they care vary a lot....event eh same plant can have variable flower colour. koehresii can be white to pink, but usually striped. Fricii is *usually* darker pink, but i have some that are the same shade of pink as regular L. williamsii but they came from a fricii breeding. but i dont think fricii can get that white except for fricii f. albiflora which is pure white like diffusa.

food for thought.
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.