Areole grafting and Crested cacti

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Loph

Areole grafting and Crested cacti

Post by Loph »

its been a bit and i think i have, for the most part, got areole grafting down.

Some interesting finds.

there seems to be a lot of theories as to why a crest crests....from grafting various species of crested cacti *areoles* it would see they do NOT carry on the trait!

this makes me *think* it is not really an inheritable trait (breeding???) and is more of an apical meristem issue.

i have tried some mammillaria, turbinicarpus, trichocereus, myrtillocactus and lophophora all of which grew more or less normal compared to the crested parent.

just thought i would share. it seems, and only seems, that cristate is a non-inheritable mutation. and it seems only grafts/cuts of the apical meristem will continue to the trait. i wonder why? i may play with some areoles right from the "crack" later on see if they do anything....but for now i am going to stop wasting all my grafting stocks lol.
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Interesting!
Have any photos?

Not really a waste of stock when you gain knowledge :D
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

More interesting info. With the spine observations in Tim's post and some of the other stuff posted lately, we really should start compiling these observations in a reference format. :-k
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Loph

Post by Loph »

i am leaving for canada in t-8hours and we have a typhoon right now with PISSING rain, soooooooo no pics right now lol. they look just like normal ones though, nothing out of the ordinary. not even a stretch on the growing point :( i was hoping to find a way of making LOTS of crests....but i think its safe to say that every large cacti nursery has tried this already to try and get lots fast.....oh well, now we know :)

ohhh scratch that, i have some old pics of a loph crest is did this to! i will update them when i get back from canada (one month). they are much bigger now, maybe 3-4 cm....in the pic its not even 1.

Areole first starting to grow

after a few weeks its like this. Dont think its ribs are anything weird, they are just forming...all loph seedling grafts look like this :(

peace
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Have a good trip to Canada!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
dovev

mmmmmmm..................

Post by dovev »

i'm not very suprised, crests are origind frome one meristemic growth usualy the main one , usualy the apex of the cacti( surry for my english..... :oops: )
the other will grow normal if posible, many cacti grow normal become crested and becomming normal again
Loph

Post by Loph »

yes, sounds logical eh?