Hi everyone

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
globetrottersara

Hi everyone

Post by globetrottersara »

Hi everyone,
I'm Sara from Italy. I'm currently living near Pisa (Tuscany) and I'm a brand new cacti fan. It all started about a month ago, it's like an addiction now :P
Great site Daiv! Thank you!
Ciao,
s
John C

Post by John C »

Welcome to the forums!

Hope you have fun and learn a lot!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Sara,
I too extend a warm welcome! Are you able to grow your cacti in the ground where you live? The low temperatures in the winter months should be high enough to allow growing most cacti outdoors.
Well, I hope you are going to enjoy being a member of this forum. :D

Harald
globetrottersara

Thank you, John and Harald :)

Yes, I think some could grow well outside. There are quite some ficus-indica (sp?) around, so I guess most of my cacti could be fine outside. But there have been a lot of storms in the past week, so I took them all inside. The attic of my house has a corner with quite some light, I moved the pots there. I wasn't sure it would be okay, but they all seem fine after a week. Maybe I should take a picture of each plant and post them here.
I read some topics about the light. I'm thinking, Winters here can be very humid (like in Portland, OR, to give you an idea) so if I end up keeping them inside, I might need to set up some lighting thing...
We'll see :)
I had no idea the world of cacti and its fans was so.... HUGE! :P Man, I sure have a lot of things to learn!

Happy Sunday everyone :D

s
Tony

Post by Tony »

Ciao Sara. :wave:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Hi, Welcome!
globetrottersara

Hi Tony and Darryl :D

This afternoon I took some photos of my plants and set up a quick gallery on a website I haven't updated in quite some time, haha. Well... anyway, I still have to write down the complete names, I think some Lithops are karasmontana, for instance. Plus, I'm not sure of some names.

Ok so, here's the link to the gallery.
I'm planning on adding a short page for each plant, with basic info, not just the bigger photo.

http://thefoolishvet.altervista.org/gal ... page=cacti

If you have any corrections or suggestions, please feel free to write them! I'm a total noob, I started colleting cacti etc. about a month ago, so go figure... ;)

Thank you!!!

s
*Barracuda_52*

Re: Hi everyone

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

globetrottersara wrote: It all started about a month ago, it's like an addiction now :P
You got that right it is a real addiction :thumbleft: for me its more of a love and passion for these plants.
Hello Sara :hello2: and WELCOME, nice to meet you and hope you enjoy it here. :D You have a beautiful collection of cacti & succulents. I love Lithops.. :P

*Cuda*
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

I too say Welcome :hello2: . You have a nice collection and the obsession will grow if you hang around here :lol:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
globetrottersara

Dang, it's true... I lost count of the times I thought "Wow, nice! I want that too!!!" while wandering around the site and forum, haha... :D

I'm gonna 'shoot' a question now... :roll:

I'm thinking of keeping the plants outside, but it can be rainy here. I had a look at the hardiness maps and according to the map I found, I'm in Zone 9. Honestly, I haven't really experienced such low temperatures. Looks more like I'm in a zone between 9 and 10.
So... I guess having a greenhouse is doable, but it will probably need some heating in the Winter or I will have to move everything inside for a month or too anyway.

My house has no porch :( Any suggestions regarding greenhouses or waterproof corners? I've never had one :idea:

Thanks everyone for your comments!
daiv
Site Admin

Re: Hi everyone

Post by daiv »

globetrottersara wrote: Great site Daiv! Thank you!
Hey thanks and glad you're here. I guess I get credit for starting the site, but it is the contributions of everyone that MAKES the site! I am still learning too!

But don't worry, you will learn a lot in a short time here if you do search and ask questions. Then before you know it, you will be helping answer other people's questions!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Welcome to our forum Sara, I've just had a look at your little collection, you have some really nice plants there.

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.