cosmo's grafts

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
cosmotoad

Re: cosmo's grafts

Post by cosmotoad »

Yeah, I think it had some webs and spider mites on it at one point. But it is a bit of a spectacle in it's own way, and it's growing a bit now. My next grafts should do better, and I'm getting some more grafting stock (some from you if you still have a few) so I'll be scaling up a little. Things are moving along nicely
DevilKnight

Post by DevilKnight »

cosmotoad wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:15 am I do have water at the bottom of the chamber for my current attempt, but on the failed one there wasn't (not in the first 48hrs at least). So humidity should be higher this time around.
No additional humidity needed if you use parafilm as your container.

As an added benefit, you can continue actively growing your stock the day you graft by continuing to water your stock plants as usual and keeping your specimens growing in the same light conditions they were used to prior to grafting.
The only container you'll ever need.
The only container you'll ever need.
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 11.21.15 AM.png (174.06 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

Thanks, I'll have to look into that once I've got more stocks to work on. Right now I've only got one or two available, but that's good enough for practicing on.

The ariocarpus and trichocereus grafts from earlier didn't take, unfortunately, but this lophophora diffusa appears to be healthy after being out of humidity overnight. Forgot to write down the date, so I'll just say it was grafted Sept. 2018 some time.
rsz_20181001_112520.jpg
rsz_20181001_112520.jpg (38.49 KiB) Viewed 4604 times
I've got some seeds I'm planning to start soon which would be interesting graft subjects, including the two aztekiums, but I suppose it'll be a year or two before they'd be big enough to attempt a graft.

Have a nice day
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

The only graft so far that's held on is the lophophora diffusa that I did about a month ago. Looked kind of shriveled up for a while, but is now starting to bulk up a bit more. A few minutes ago I did a trichocereus bridgesii and another lophophora diffusa, no pictures this time (and I figure there's enough failed attempt pictures in the thread anyway). I'll see how these turn out and then maybe post something later on. I've got plenty of rooted pereskiopsis now, don't even know exactly how many but probably around 20, so I'll be trying more frequently. Plus lots more scions are being born every day here, so there should be a good selection of seedlings big enough for grafting pretty soon.
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

20181027_121023.jpg
20181027_121023.jpg (46.69 KiB) Viewed 4444 times
Lophophora diffusa is starting to take off, grown quite a bit in the last week or so.
20181027_121046.jpg
20181027_121046.jpg (55.46 KiB) Viewed 4444 times
This is another diffusa, the one in the first picture looked kind of like this for a while but eventually figured it out. It's attached, at least
20181027_121132.jpg
20181027_121132.jpg (56.01 KiB) Viewed 4444 times
And a trichocereus bridgesii which is looking a little ragged but should be alright

The last two were done in a ziploc freezer bag and somehow managed to make it but I've got parafilm now which I haven't got around to trying yet. Maybe today although I've been saying that for the past few days
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

Today I did an astrophytum coahuilense graft with parafilm, looks like it'll work out pretty well. I feel a little more confident with this stuff than just the ziploc bags.

Just for my own reference:
Oct. 16th 2018: lophophora diffusa, trichocereus bridgesii
Oct. 27th 2018: astrophytum coahuilense
Dawnstar75

Post by Dawnstar75 »

cosmotoad wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:21 pm 20181027_121023.jpg
Lophophora diffusa is starting to take off, grown quite a bit in the last week or so.

20181027_121046.jpg
This is another diffusa, the one in the first picture looked kind of like this for a while but eventually figured it out. It's attached, at least

20181027_121132.jpg
And a trichocereus bridgesii which is looking a little ragged but should be alright

The last two were done in a ziploc freezer bag and somehow managed to make it but I've got parafilm now which I haven't got around to trying yet. Maybe today although I've been saying that for the past few days
Cosmo! You have got to try that parafilm! ~*~the ragged Trich pic...is that i graft upon a graft???? ohh and hey if the Gymnocalycium mihonovichii scion I grafted onto Echinopsis rootstock if it hasnt shriveled or wrinkled then does that mean it was a successful graft? I think i might take the straight pins out today. 8-[
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

Sounds like your graft may have been a success, I think I might have taken the graft out of humidity a little early so that could be why mine looks all deflated. The bridgesii is just a normal graft but the seedling was a little odd, it had a kind of pinched stem and then a bulbous growth point on top of that, it'll be interesting to see how it grows up. Seems like you've got a good start on the whole cactus obsession journey :mrgreen:
Dawnstar75

Post by Dawnstar75 »

yes sir! I have been blessed with tiny itsy bitsy babies on some succulent leaves i am propagating which is so rewarding~*~ I have been working on my steampunk jewelry for the Roswell Galactacon in July..From your avatar i gather you are a fellow punk. LOVE IT!!! Ohhh check this out I was given a five foot pillar cactus (i think it may be a Trich.) when I entered the pool house where my friend had moved it i found it rotted in two places the tip was black about 10 inches and it has folded over in the middleand the humidity from the pool didnt help im sure. Anyways, I dont have much extra monies so I took it home and harvested it in1 foot sections. when i got it home i also realized that the whole darn thing had scale!!! I thought it was that corky looking stuff but I attacked it with 100% isoalcohol and a toothbrush. I feel like an idiot though because I am vectoring bad issues into my apartment trying to get some basic stock mothers when I know better! This is definately the compulsion obsession disorder.
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

Well the guy in the avatar is more of a psychedelic blues fella, but I am a fan of steampunk (I don't know what the Galactacon is but it sounds groovy). Scale is a pain but easier to take care of than mealybugs, I have to do some cactus brushing once or twice a year on my trichocereus pachanoi. You're lucky to have cactus people around you, not a whole lot here in rainy BC that I know of

Anyway, good luck with your growing adventures
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

Nah you ain't too old, you ain't too old
As long as you can boogie you ain't too old
Dawnstar75

Post by Dawnstar75 »

cosmotoad wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:57 pm Nah you ain't too old, you ain't too old
As long as you can boogie you ain't too old
Boogie oogie oogie! :lol: =D>
gallomata22

Post by gallomata22 »

i have been trying some grafts soon i will post pictures
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

awesome, best of luck to you.

this lophophora diffusa is my best looking graft as of now, starting to show some nicely developed ribs and such.
rsz_1rsz_20181113_144318.jpg
rsz_1rsz_20181113_144318.jpg (48.43 KiB) Viewed 4191 times
also had success with my first parafilm experiment, with an astrophytum coahuilense. hasn't grown much yet but definitely connected quite well. will be trying some more some day (maybe today).
gallomata22

Post by gallomata22 »

those are 2 of them so far lets wait ans see if they attach,sorry for the pic looks a bit blurry my camera is bad
Attachments
DSCF5515.JPG
DSCF5515.JPG (62.32 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
DSCF5520.JPG
DSCF5520.JPG (52.02 KiB) Viewed 4190 times