Lithops shriveling

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
pokie

Re: Lithops shriveling

Post by pokie »

Good to know. I thought the opposite regarding the sun. The sources I have read up to know have not pointed this out. I ended up just moving the thops in the shadow of large pots. Hopefully in time for the ones that are doing well to be fine.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Lithops like plenty of light, but heat can be a problem. They don't have the ability to cool themselves by evaporation (transpiration) - their stomata open to absorb CO2 only at night when it's cooler, to minimize moisture loss. They keep themselves cool by being mostly buried in the ground. The soil in pots doesn't stay as cool as the ground, pots in the sun can get quite warm, so potted Lithops are in danger of overheating.

Best to use light-colored pots with light-colored gravel as a top dressing, to minimized the heating of the pots - and give them sun only in the morning when it's cooler.
Spence :mrgreen:
keith

Post by keith »

Lithops try adding more sand less pumice. I have some trouble with Lithops in mostly pumice they seem to rot about a week after I water them.

Use Course sand or tiny gravel. That's what I'm doing but I'm still not 100% sure whats going on but I never had problems before I went too much pumice.
It rotted some cactus also so...

They can take sun under 50% shade cloth in coastal CA. but not full sun. I am not a Lithops expert but I do have a bunch I grew from seed and some old ones I bought.

Conophytums are dormant now I don't think Lithops are unless its really hot ???
pokie

Post by pokie »

Thanks again, greenknight. Hopefully some shade in the afternoon will help them!

Keith, I have not had issues with rotting with pumice for a full year, but i will try a sandy loam mix next spring.
I have some seeds too - I imagine I should start planting them in the early fall after adult plants typically bloom - is that right?
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

After reading a bit more, I think there's solid ground to consider Lithops to go into a summer dormancy...in natural habitat.
- First : http://pza.sanbi.org/lithops says : 'They occur mainly in the western, drier areas of South Africa. However, they are known also to occur just outside Johannesburg and even in parts of the central Free State.'
So most of them grow in winter rain fall areas of SA, and mixed climate areas, which means in natural habitat they are hot and dry in the summer.
- Second : 'Another interesting phenomenon is that during extreme droughts, lithops plants can pull themselves into the soil to such an extent that they actually become semi-subterranean! In this way they are not exposed to the harsh outside elements that could dry them out even further.'
So I think they know how to protect themselves from heat and drought.

So probably they fall under the category of opportunist spring and fall growers, like many SA plants who go into summer dormancy out of neccesity, but not really need it. I have noticed with my plants that after a period of extreme heat (it gets hot in my greenhouse) they stop growing, and even drop their leaves, watering or not. So I think in Pokie's case, them being in full sun, in mid summer heat the plants react by going into dormancy and shriveling a bit.

And I think that
- www.lithops.info describes a growing pattern close to their natural habitat, and
- www.smale-conophytum.co.uk/grow_lithops.htm describes how to best grow them in UK conditions.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I agree with Jangaudi, the heat has probably induced Summer dormancy. You need to be more conservative about sun exposure in CA than those in the UK or similar climates, though. While the site he linked recommends providing good air circulation to keep the plants cool, that's not going to be enough in very hot weather.

It can get much worse than what you've seen so far, more extreme overheating will cause Lithops to turn white and die. It's happened to me, and I'm a long way north of you. Don't risk it, avoid direct sun in the heat of the afternoon.
Spence :mrgreen:
pokie

Post by pokie »

I have lost a couple already where they completely shriveled and became husks. One was indoor in cooler weather though, so the causes for that one are less clear.
pokie

Post by pokie »

I just remembered that one of the shriveling lithops did not split this season. All the other ones grew new leaves except this one. Is this a sign of something in particular?