growing cactus seeds and using GA3 and general(new to forum)

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Sounds like good progress for a weeks time.
Thanks for the update, hopefully you can get some pics up soon ;)
snopuppy13

Post by snopuppy13 »

hello all,
while checking back through some of my old notes,
i found that ga does not always help with germination
some types(astros for 1)are not affected very much
some others,in my case strombocactus,the germination rate is severely reduced.
while ga is great for older seed of any type,i have not been able to find any research on its effects on newer seed.
i was hoping someone here may have some info on its use with different varities.
thanx in advance for any and all help
peace
pat
buck tumbleweed

Post by buck tumbleweed »

Well so far the GA3 seems to be working well for the trichocereus species and the epithelantha micromeris but I'm not having any luck with it helping germinate the pachycereus pecten-aboriginum,pachycereus pringlei,mammillaria craigii,or azureocereus hertlingianus seeds .
With the trichocereus seeds I seem to be getting around 85-90% on most and the epithelantha micromereis I have only got about half sprouted so far so I dont know for sure if the GA3 is a deciding factor with the epithelantha as I have never grown them before and I did not separate any out to do a comparison germination rate ,all the seeds planted and soaked in GA3 were about a year old that I know of as I did not get around to planting them last year with the rest so I have had them for a year and they probably have another 6 months of age on them from being at the vendors place of bussiness.
I will get pics up as soon as I lite a fire under my backside to fix my camera program problem.Later Patrick
iann

Post by iann »

Epithelantha micromeris germinates quickly and well for me, but that is fresh seed from my own plants.
--ian