Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
neely9820022000

contest

Post by neely9820022000 »

i think it is immaterial how many votes do you get.it is important to participate n all are doing the same!its great to see most of us are participating.2nd contest should be held if three or more have a tie?one should be allowed to post other images of the same subject in 2 days time after voting is over so that few more better pics can be viewed.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

It sure is good not to make arbitrary decisions on this. What I assumed everybody wanted wasn't exactly right. I like the idea of tournament style elimination, but then how can you decide how to group them? The tie breaker idea is good too.

Remember we can always change the contest and we can also have different rules for different contests if we want to change things up a bit. This is brainstorming time so let your ideas fly! :o
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Another approach would be to continue the bi-weekly contests and on a Quarterly (or some other agreed upon increment of contests, time, themes) out in the top two or three from each contest in the period and let them vie for a larger acolade!!

GeneS
Who didn't enter contest 5 because he miss-read the contest dates, but can and did vote:-)

Here was my planned entry -- E. texensis, showing the amazing frilled corolla tips. -Enjoy
http://dgimages.smugmug.com/photos/57123482-M.jpg
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

All,

I think that this process is getting exactly the intended results which is the sharing of unbelievable pictures of our favorite plants that we would never otherwise see. Why would anyone post these fabulous macro pictures under normal circumstances?

It's just my opinion, but I think that limiting the entries or trying to form a concensus winner will be in the end self defeating to the process. Some feelings are going to get hurt, and why? These "contests" are all about what we are getting out of them, which is the wonderful results, the pictures themselves.
Buck Hemenway
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well, I think by this time it is definately safe to say, no limits to the entries! I get crazy ideas sometimes, but will admit they're not always crazy in the right direction. :roll:

Anyway, I think some good came out of this after all. Having, a "tournament of champions" would be a lot of fun -and also not a bad idea to have tie-breaker voting.

How about every 10 contests we can take the winners and run a favorite of favorites. It would be interesting to see which "theme" gets the most votes too. Flowers will definately have an advantage, but there have been some good spine/fruit shots that could rival them in a contest.
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Hi, GeneS,
That's a lovely photo ! Next generation of photographer and plants lover ?
Dominique
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Thank you, Dominique !!

You asked: [Next generation of photographer and plants lover ?]

Good question, next relative to??

I've been playing at photography for 40+ years. C&S is a more recent hobby - only about 25 years, 15 with some seriousness. It was only natural to combine the two! I still have a tremendous amount to learn about both.

GeneS
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

:-s

Gene, you do realize that your picture link is to a human baby don't you?
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Dave wrote:
>Gene, you do realize that your picture link is to a human baby don't you?
>
NO ??? I'll check it tonight ... I can't see the actual link content from here.

GeneS
Amapola

Post by Amapola »

Hi Daiv,

you're right about the baby. But perhaps you didn't see that the little one is staring at the spines of a Stetsonia coryne. Of course such a little one can't have seen something like that before. :lol:

Greetings,

Polly
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

OK, thanks to a bit of help from Daiv, I have recognized my error, and the somewhat odd posts that followed.

Let's try again:
http://dgimages.smugmug.com/photos/67123482-M.jpg

The real E. texensis, showing the amazing frilled corolla tips.

Apologies to all for my error. I seem to have substituted a 5 for a 6 in the URL. Apologies also to Elijah Woolery - a supurb photographer and naturalist - who's image became the unwilling target of my error.

Dominique, I hope you like this one as well. If not, I think Polly has an excellent premise that you can use. I might have to use it too!!

GeneS -dgimages
Amapola

Post by Amapola »

Wow, Gene, that's beautiful indeed. You should have won the competition with this picture!

I wonder if it is just me whose eyes are getting worse with age and do not allow to recognize all those fine details just by looking at a plant. I often make a picture - as much macro as my camera allows it - for to count the spines. With nothing but my glasses I can't see enough. So shots like yours give me a lot.
Thanks, Gene,

Polly
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

I wonder if it is just me whose eyes are getting worse with age and do not allow to recognize all those fine details just by looking at a plant. I often make a picture - as much macro as my camera allows it - for to count the spines. With nothing but my glasses I can't see enough.
It's not just you Polly !! .. I have always been amazed by the details I can discover looking at macro or closeup images of my plants. I began collecting images of my collection because I wanted an archival reference, -plus, I already had the equipment to do so. As you have also discovered, the enlarged images open an entire new world of detail in a way that is much easier then staring through a 10x loupe or stand magnifier. And, you can continue to study and enjoy long after the moment has passed.

GeneS -dgimages
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey everyone -sorry for the delay in posting the contest! I am out of town (in AZ) and haven't been able to start it. I will get it started by tomorrow. I have tons of great wild cactus shots to share. I can't wait - at least 15 different species, many in bloom!
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

You are forgiven, Daiv, provided you do share the pictures you are talking about :wink:
Dominique