A small collection: 2015 and beyond

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Steve Johnson

Re: A small collection: 2015 and beyond

Post by Steve Johnson »

brixtertabun wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:21 pmThanks! I'm just using pumice. I'll buy the 3-6 mm pumice then.
Actually, I'd recommend using a combination of the 1-3 mm and 3-6 mm grades. While open aeration is a major advantage soil-less mixes have over the soil-based kind, too much in the way of airspace between grains can make it difficult for cactus roots to grow as they should. I've posted the following photo before, but an occasional reminder is helpful:

You're seeing the mix of pumice and granite gravel I use, but the basic principle behind using a wide range of grain sizes will apply with straight pumice too. The only argument in favor of using just the 3-6 mm grade would be if the humidity in your climate is so high that pumice in the wide range of grain sizes I'm recommending would take too long to dry out. On this one, I can only guess -- if your RH is less than about 60% on average, I think you should be fine with my recommendation. However, if you have to deal with persistently high humidity in the monsoon season, you may want to stick with the 3-6 mm grade.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

The relative humidity in my area is 75% on average.Thanks! I'll buy both 1-3 mm and 3-6 mm packs and combine them. I'm using a kitchen sieve too to remove the fines.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

brixtertabun wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:17 am The relative humidity in my area is 75% on average.Thanks! I'll buy both 1-3 mm and 3-6 mm packs and combine them. I'm using a kitchen sieve too to remove the fines.
Glad to help! :) Please remember that growing cacti in pure mineral mix (including straight pumice) means that they'll need to be fertilized pretty much every time they're watered. I don't know what kind of ferts you have access to in Malaysia, but if you can get Dyna Gro, I'll highly recommend either the 7-7-7 or 7-8-6. And if you can store enough rainwater to water your plants on a regular basis, you won't have to worry about the long-term effects of Bicarbonate buildup we'll find with hard tap/well water.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
Steve Johnson

2017 End-of-summer review (conclusion)

Post by Steve Johnson »

We made it! And the timing couldn't be better, as I'm eager to get started on reviewing the summer that's about to end.

2017 was a light year for buying cacti -- only 2, and the first item was covered in Things 'n stuff 'n such -- July special (scroll down and see "Replacing an F. castanea"). The only thing we're missing is an update with "before and after" photos to benchmark the plant's growth, so we'll take care of that now -- here it is on 7/8 and 10/1/17:

Same dates with a bird's-eye view:

The bud on the left did go into bloom, and you'll see my first (and most likely only) Frailea castanea flower in the above link. Since then, the plant has been going straight from buds to seed pods -- the pic on the right shows a bunch of seeds that dehisced last summer.

While the new castanea from Miles' To Go settled in well, 3 months wasn't enough to show us much in the way of new growth yet. I know what the old one from CoronaCactus looked like when it died, so when 2018 transitioned from winter to spring, it was important to check and see if the M2G plant would respond to its first deep drink of the year. From winter shriveling on 3/27 to spring plumping on 4/21:

Sweet! And with the biggest seed pods I've ever seen on a castanea, it's been fun to watch them quietly explode this year. I'm just letting the seeds settle into the pot, so if you follow what I said in the link, you'll know what I have in mind! The new growth has been pretty amazing too, so a nice update will be included for the 2018 review.

To set up the rest of today's post, here's a view of Shady Glen on 10/12/17:

3 cacti you see in the photo aren't there anymore. The Discocactus sitting in front of my Mammillaria guelzowiana was a crystallophilus I got from the Sunset Succulent Society in January 2015. When I repotted it at the end of that February, the unpotting revealed a nasty spot of necrosis on the base. You'll find out what happened here. The plant seemed to be on the road to recovery that year, and it did well enough to flower for me, as you'll see here. Unfortunately the story wasn't so good in 2016 when the necrosis slowly gained the upper hand -- a before-and-after on 9/20/15 and 9/24/16:

The crystallophilus made a valiant effort to heal the necrotic tissue by callusing, but the necrosis finally won -- the view going from 9/24/16 to 10/9/17:

I'm quite satisfied with how well my buenekeri is doing, so I didn't feel the need to find another Disco species for the collection. The dead crystallophilus' pot is being gainfully employed by something else, and I'll show you what took its place in my 2018 review. Going back to the Shady Glen photo, the other 2 cacti you won't see these days are a Leuchtenbergia principis on the upper right, and an Obregonia denegrii to the left of the Astrophytum asterias in flower. Their replacements will be part of the 2018 review too, but in the meantime, the tiny cactus sitting in between the Disco and Obregonia is a perfect way to end my 2017 review...

I never thought I would find an Aztekium ritteri on its own roots, but every once in awhile I still had to look on eBay just in case I could get lucky. As the old saying goes, "never say never", and a seller in L.A. put one up for auction in January 2017. Score!!! Here it is a few days after arrival (1/28) and repotted the following day:

A tiny plant needing a tiny pot, and I'm glad that I held onto the 2" terracotta pot that should work just fine. (By the way -- even today, I find that terracotta pots sometimes come in handy. If you use terracotta, I highly recommend that you waterproof it with acrylic paint. I prefer clear, but you can do it with your choice of colors!)

A. ritteri is well-known for being the slowest of all plants in the cactus Family, growing at a rate of 1 mm. per year. The seller grew it from seed, so going by that growth rate, I thought I was looking at a 30-year-old plant. Imagine my surprise when I found out that my new ritteri was only 8 years old! He was kind enough to provide me with a few details, so I'll quote what he had to say:

"Hi Steve, the 1 mm per year growth might be in habitat. My A. hintonii's grow around 2 cm a year, and I get 0.5-0.75 cm per year on A ritteri. (For A. valdezii, I only have grafted ones, so data is irrelevant). I grow in a heavy pumice mix (80%), with 20% compost (with no peat moss or pine park). I use 20-20-20 fertilizer, which I use full strength twice a month in spring, half strength weekly in summer. Grown under 40-50% shade cloth. Good luck!"

We have some interesting thoughts to unpack here. First -- in the wild, Aztekium's native soils contain either limestone or gypsum. Calcium is a natural growth inhibitor, so it stands to reason that Aztekiums growing in a Calcium-free mix will grow more than their habitat brethren. I don't subscribe to the idea that we should be supplementing our mixes with Calcium for so-called "Calcium-lovers" (I believe the term is a myth, anyway), and I totally agree with the seller on this one. Second -- while his mix is nice and lean, there's nothing leaner than pure pumice-granite gravel mix. Compared to what the seller was using, the ritteri should be able to grow a more extensive root system, so my first order of business was to let those roots take advantage of growing in the mineral mix. How did I do it? You'll learn about the strategy I came up with here. It certainly worked, with the results on 3/17 and 9/27/17:

The ritteri blessed me with its very first flower on 8/3/17, so the bud on the right was on its way to another round of blooming. A view from the side on transplanting day (1/29) and the plant in bloom on 9/29/17:

A close-up of the flower opening wide in the space of a few minutes:

Oddly enough, the ritteri's flowers are wide open between 9 and 10 a.m., and it's the only cactus I've seen that starts closing up shop in the late morning. I missed a 2nd early-morning flower on 9/30, but I find the "leftovers" to be kinda pretty -- the plant catching some rays in Shady Glen that afternoon:

And yes, that's yet another bud hiding in there. What the next morning revealed:

Although I fertilize every time I water, I'm fertilizing at a much lower dosage than what the seller was doing. Another difference in our respective regimens is the fact that he watered the ritteri once a week during the summer, and I've opted to water it every 2 weeks during late spring and summer. Such being the case, I'm not sure if I'll match his growth rate, but whatever I get should be decent. I've been quite lucky so far, and you'll see this gem again in the next end-of-summer review.

The first day of fall is less than a week away, but the growing season here in Casa de Jefferson Park ain't over yet. It'll be time to get seriously busy with the camera again, and before I start working on the 2018 review, I do have a nice backlog of pics from this year I haven't posted yet. I'll parcel them out as we keep the party going -- I can't thank all of you enough for your interest in following my activities here on the forum! :D
ntang920

Post by ntang920 »

Hi Steve!

First and foremost, this is one of the most interesting posts I've ever read! I'm so amazed at your results and the before/after photos you post on this forum. It really gives an amateur collector like myself some glimmering hope. That being said, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me. I live in Socal, Palos Verdes, to be exact so I'm lucky to share the same weather as you, give or take a few degrees bc I'm by the coast.

I was wondering where do you get your DG from? And I've read somewhere in the posts that you made your shade cloth? Or that could've been a misread on my part. I've seen shade cloths on Amazon, and the knit on yours seems much finer/higher quality. I plan to eventually build my own greenhouse in the near future, but I was wondering where did you get your materials from and how did you make the shade cloth with the edging and grommets? I've done some research into it, bc I was looking to customize different sizes instead of just buying one whole piece. The process of buying raw shade cloth, sewing the edging, and punching grommets just seem too tedious and tiring.

Lastly, how often do you water in the Fall and Winter? I'm use to just sticking a wooden skewer into my pots to determine if they need watering, but with your current system how do you know when to water? During the summer I watered my plants like once a week, but if you're using the 'clean' soil then doesn't it dry out faster?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions, all of this is just so fascinating to me and I would really like to get the same healthy roots as yours have :D
ntang920

Post by ntang920 »

Also, I saw that greenhouse mega store is selling the dyna gro all-pro 777 for $44!

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/dyn ... -pro-7-7-7
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

ntang920 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:34 am Hi Steve!

First and foremost, this is one of the most interesting posts I've ever read! I'm so amazed at your results and the before/after photos you post on this forum. It really gives an amateur collector like myself some glimmering hope. That being said, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me. I live in Socal, Palos Verdes, to be exact so I'm lucky to share the same weather as you, give or take a few degrees bc I'm by the coast.

I was wondering where do you get your DG from? And I've read somewhere in the posts that you made your shade cloth? Or that could've been a misread on my part. I've seen shade cloths on Amazon, and the knit on yours seems much finer/higher quality. I plan to eventually build my own greenhouse in the near future, but I was wondering where did you get your materials from and how did you make the shade cloth with the edging and grommets? I've done some research into it, bc I was looking to customize different sizes instead of just buying one whole piece. The process of buying raw shade cloth, sewing the edging, and punching grommets just seem too tedious and tiring.

Lastly, how often do you water in the Fall and Winter? I'm use to just sticking a wooden skewer into my pots to determine if they need watering, but with your current system how do you know when to water? During the summer I watered my plants like once a week, but if you're using the 'clean' soil then doesn't it dry out faster?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions, all of this is just so fascinating to me and I would really like to get the same healthy roots as yours have :D
Well, thank you so much for your kind feedback. I'm a lifelong Angeleno, and I have very fond memories of my visits to Marineland on the Palos Verdes peninsula back in the 1960s and early '70s. As a "man of the sea", I love coastal California, and Palos Verdes is a beautiful part of it. You sure are lucky to live there! Now, to your questions...

I got my DG from La Canada Rustic Stone in Pasadena. If you're willing to go that far, here's their website for more info:

http://rusticstone.com/

You can buy DG by the shovelful, so how much you need will depend on the size of your collection. Please bear in mind that about 60% of it is "play sand" you'll need to sift out and throw away, yielding about 40% usable DG gravel. (I can't emphasize often enough how important it is to thoroughly rinse the granite gravel and pumice before you use it in a mix.) Oddly enough, my shade cloth also came from Pasadena -- the California Cactus Center to be more precise. Here's their website:

http://www.cactuscenter.com/

When I got the current collection going in 2011, the helpful ladies there recommended 40% shade cloth. I sent them a diagram with all the dimensions I needed, then they had someone cut the shade cloth to my specs, sew the borders and install gromets. It was kinda expensive, but IMO worth it since shade cloth lasts for 20 years before it needs to be replaced. However, you may be able to get something more cost-effective online at the ShadeCloth Store:

http://www.shadeclothstore.com/

I don't know whether or not they'd sew the borders and put in gromets for you, but it's worth investigating.

As to watering, my pumice-granite gravel mix retains moisture longer than you may think -- most cacti in the collection get watered every 2 weeks in spring and summer, although some plants have different watering needs. (For whatever it's worth, I can post the details on my watering schedule, but we'll save that for another time.) Aside from a few species that love to soak up the water, I've found that it's best to let the mix dry out from top to bottom between waterings, hence my reason for watering every 2 weeks as a general rule in the growing season. The humidity in our coastal climate works in your favor, so I don't think you'd go wrong there. The fall/winter routine is another matter...

Our rainy season runs from November (sometimes late October) through April/May. In my first 21 years of cactus collecting, I lost too many plants to rot because I didn't have a way to shelter them from the winter rains. When I built the new collection, I insisted on rigging up a rain shelter so I wouldn't have to go through that sad experience again. Last weekend, I posted something addressing the issue which may give you some helpful ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41701

The collection's last deep watering will be tonight. October can be pretty toasty, so depending on how hot it is, I may give most of my cacti enough water to moisten the mix just short of drenching it (what I call "half-watering") in a couple of weeks. However, if things are mostly on the cool side (low 70s during the day, mid- to upper-50s at night) in October, the North American cacti will get some light watering toward the end of next month. They'd be totally fine going dry through the rest of fall and winter, although the portable greenhouse I described in the above link allows me to give them light watering every 4 weeks unless and until the overnights get too chilly to chance it. Of course there are exceptions, so when I post my watering schedule, i'll include what I do for fall/winter watering care.

By the way, I saw your post about the Dyna Gro 7-7-7. Yeah, it is expensive, and I've used up only half of the gallon I purchased in early 2012. Good news is that it doesn't have a shelf-life, so I'm good for another 7 years! Unless you have a big collection, I certainly understand if you wouldn't want to pay for a whole gallon at that price. If that's the case, I'll highly recommend the Dyna Gro Orchid Pro 7-8-6, which you can find in smaller quantities on eBay. 7-8-6 is balanced enough for our purposes, plus it has the same excellent profile of minor and micronutrients you'd find with the 7-7-7.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :D
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Steve,
I have been reading your posts for quite some time now and also decided to go 100% mineral as far as the growing medium is concerned. Thus far I do not have much to report, although I can say, that the cacti I placed in the ground this April are all alive and looking good. Two of them are Ariocarpus and two Turbinicarpus spp. I do use about 4 parts of pumice, 1 part of arroyo material, and 1 part crushed granite. The pumice was rather inexpensive, but I had to drive to a company, which does sell this material wholesale. The fellow selling me the pumice wanted to know where my truck was. I pointed out my Saturn car and he almost had a laughing fit. I had emptied the trunk and placed five of those white, big paint buckets and a shovel in the trunk of my car. Well, I needed to drive my vehicle on the scale, then fill my buckets, and then have my vehicle weighed again. That kind of felt funny, being wedged in between a dump truck or big pick-up. The good thing though is, that I was only charged a little over $4.00 for
160 lbs of pumice. The arroyo material I pick up, whenever my club goes to the cactus scouting trips to Orogrande, NM. The granite was also not expensive. I bought 25 pounds of chicken grit made of that material at a local farm supply store for $10.00.
Now my question to you: You emphasise, that it is necessary to wash the fine material out of the pumice, granite, etc. You are growing your plants in pots as far as I can see. I do have mine in the ground. Does that make a difference in your opinion? I still have the opportunity to use a kitchen sieve and run all that fine grained material I do have - except of course for the small amount I used for the plants mentioned above - through the sieve and discard it.
Another thing: I did listen to you? about fertilizing my cacti using ammonium sulfate. I dissolve two tablespoons full of that fertilizer in a bottle with some water, shake the bottle, until the ammonium sulfate dissolves and then add its content into a 2 1/2 gallon watering can. Early in the spring, I do apply Miracle Gro 15-30-15 Bloom Booster Flower Food at half the recommended rate to my plants. That fertilizer also contains micronutrients.
It may not be quite as good as the Dyna Gro 7-7-7, but it is easily available at our local Lowes store. In my opinion though, the ammonium sulfate applications seem to make more of a difference with respect to plant response. I used to fertilize numerous times with the Miracle Gro and the plants tolerated it, but they did not thrive. After I applied the ammonium sulfate, my tiny Turbinicarpus alonsoi produced a blossom. Perhaps that would have happened anyway, but it may well have been the addition of ammonium sulfate that was responsible for it.

Well, it was nice to see that Aztekium ritteri that you were fortunate to acquire in bloom. I have thus far only purchased cacti either at a local nursery or store or from Miles-2-Go. There I was not even able to find a Mammillaria herrerae or humboldtii. With as many nice cacti dead under my care, I should not be too upset about not finding any additional victims. I am, however, hell-bent to try my luck with some members of the Ariocarpus and Turbinicarpus genera. Of course, I try to buy only those that have a chance of survival outdoors here in El Paso, Texas.

Harald
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Hi Harald,

I grow all of my cacti in pots, and IMO thoroughly rinsing mineral gravels should be standard practice for container-grown plants. I'm not sure if it would make that much of a difference for cacti being grown in the ground, but I'd recommend taking the extra step anyway.

In 2012 I joined the Elton Roberts bandwagon re. supplementing fertilizers with Ammonium sulfate, but I backed away from it after I found that all of my cacti do perfectly well with just the Dyna Gro. Adding Ammonium sulfate to your fert may make a difference, although I can't honestly say if it will or not. By the
way -- Phosphorus is the nutrient responsible for the development of flowers and fruit, so the bloom on your Turb alonsoi came from the P in your Miracle Gro 15-30-15, not the Ammonium sulfate. Sorry to tell you this, but 15-30-15 is a poor balance for cacti as that much P will inhibit nutrient uptake of the N and K. If you can change to a fert with a balance closer to the 7-7-7 I use, I have a feeling your cacti will do a lot better.
ntang920

Post by ntang920 »

Many thanks for all of the information Steve! I would greatly appreciate and love it if you could show us your watering schedule as well. After you repot your plants in the 'clean; mix, how long do you wait until it's first watering? Also, is it ok to use sand as top dressing when staging the plants? I like the look of it with some small rocks, but I'm afraid the sand will fall through the "clean" mix and only contaminate it. Lastly, does the 'clean' mix work for succulents as well? I have a few succulents/ tree succulents and was wondering if this would work have the same effect as it does on cacti, but from my understanding, succulents needs organic minerals in their mix.

Unfortunately, I was too young to see Marineland, but have def heard things about it! The ladies at the CCC are wonderful! I especially love that they always wear the same color shirts but style them differently to match their personalities :D . That was very nice of them to help you out with making a custom shade cloth for your plants.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

ntang920 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:24 amMany thanks for all of the information Steve! I would greatly appreciate and love it if you could show us your watering schedule as well.
Always a pleasure to share whatever I've learned with our friends on the forum! I may have enough time to post my watering schedule later today, and hopefully I'll have it up by this evening. If not, we'll shoot for sometime this week.
ntang920 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:24 amAfter you repot your plants in the 'clean; mix, how long do you wait until it's first watering?
Whenever we repot cacti in the growing season, it's best to let them settle in for 2 weeks until they get their first watering. This applies regardless of what type of mix you'll be using. One of the blessing of life in SoCal is that there's no such thing as a bad time of year for buying plants. If you bring in new cacti during fall/winter, here are your options:

1. Potted desert cacti from a brick-and-mortar nursery -- they shouldn't be getting watered until spring anyway, so you can repot them any time you want, but be sure to keep them dry. If you do it in winter (my personal preference is mid-February), the roots have plenty of time to settle in before they're ready for their first watering of the year when the growing season begins. If you repot in early spring, go with the 2-week rule.

2. Bare-root cacti -- repot immediately, and once again keep them dry until they're ready for watering in early spring.
ntang920 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:24 amAlso, is it ok to use sand as top dressing when staging the plants? I like the look of it with some small rocks, but I'm afraid the sand will fall through the "clean" mix and only contaminate it.
Sand is horrible top dressing for cacti, and you'd be correct in assuming that it'll trickle down into the mix. Specialist nurseries like the CCC stock a nice variety of decorative gravel top dressings suitable for cacti and succulents. Aside from the decorative aspect, these top dressings also keep the floaty stuff in the mix from getting all over your plants.
ntang920 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:24 amLastly, does the 'clean' mix work for succulents as well? I have a few succulents/ tree succulents and was wondering if this would work have the same effect as it does on cacti, but from my understanding, succulents needs organic minerals in their mix.
In my younger days, I used to grow cacti and succulents. While my cacti always seemed to struggle, I did much better with succulents. That's because I was using the same rather heavy soil-based mix I was using on everything, so I think you have the right idea about succulents needing a good amount of soil in the mix. If I had more growing space to include succulents in my collection, I'd reserve the pumice and granite gravel for my soil-less cactus mix, and use something like a 50-50 pumice-to-soil mix for the succulents. By the way, I do have a few cacti which are growing really well in that mix -- Eriosyce senilis (mature specimen from the CCC plus a 6-year-old seedling volunteer) and Tephrocactus (inermis and papyracanthus).
Steve Johnson

Things 'n stuff 'n such

Post by Steve Johnson »

I did promise y'all that I'd start posting a backlog of 2018 pics, so here we go...

We'll begin with a photo from November 2017 I forgot to post. This is along Shady Glen's southern exposure on 11/18/17:

A closeup of my Turb jauernigii and Copiapoa tenuissima in bloom:

T. jauernigii blooming in November is normal, but when I saw the tenuissima still flowering that late in the year, it's one way of knowing that last fall was a hot one.

Before we continue, I just wanted to mention that my portable GH is a multi-purpose affair. Its primary function is to keep the collection dry during the rainy season, which begins in October/November and ends sometime in April or May. When the GH is up, the polyfilm also acts as a light diffuser, and the filtered sunlight it provides is great for cactus photography. We'll see this in the following pics.

Echinocereus rigidissimus rubispinus -- at the end of its winter shriveling with a new bud on 3/25/18, followed by spring plumping and more bud growth on 4/21:

Turb valdezianus is a late-winter bloomer, and flowers in February are to be expected. Mine fulfilled that expectation, but what a pleasant surprise -- the plant held a bud in reserve (4/11) that went into bloom on 5/4:

There's something irresistable about a flower that's as big as the cactus underneath it:

The valdezianus just issued another wonderful little surprise, but it'll have to wait for my upcoming end-of-summer review.

A group shot of the top shelf on 4/21:

Another angle on 5/5:

The front of the portable GH goes on when rains are imminent, then after the rain has passed, it comes off. But if there's no rain in the forecast and things are on the cool side, the front can go back up to use the GH as a hothouse. L.A. went through something of a delayed winter this year, with more unusually cool days in April and May than I would've liked, so this feature of the GH sure came in handy. Here's one of those days as we take a tantalizing peak "behind the curtain" on 5/19:

We have a few things to unpack in that photo -- first up, Sulcorebutia callichroma longispina showing a nice flush:

Next, E. rubispinus as the bud starts opening on 5/19, followed by a gorgeous bloom the next day:

Zooming in on a side view of the flower:

The rubispinus flanked by my E. viridiflorus canus and Gymno vatteri:

Big wide smile for the camera!

Mammillaria theresae getting in on the act:

Rewinding back to 4/21, we'll move down to Sun Valley (not looking all that sunny due to the artificial "overcast"):

We have a couple of things to unpack there too. A bird's-eye view of my Turb klinkerianus from Desert Creations:

A view from the side:

Right in front of the "old man" cactus, you may have noticed an Eriosyce odieri with 3 pretty little puffballs on top. Yep, those are buds -- developing nicely on 5/5, then blooms on 5/16:

Let's investigate those lovely flowers:

That wraps up May, so in our next installment, we'll take a look at what June had in store.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Steve,
Yesterday I did receive a few very small plants, which I had ordered from Miles. Four of them are only about 1/2 inch in diameter (Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus and Ariocarpus fissuratus ssp hintonii), while the others are somewhat larger and belong to the genus Turbinicarpus.
I was going to place these plants temporarily into one or several pots and have prepared a coarse, clean growing medium, consisting of 4 parts pumice, 1 part granite chicken grit and 1 part desert coarse material from the bottom of temporary creeks called "arroyos" here.
I have been pretty successful rooting cuttings in just that arroyo derived mineral growing medium, which does have also finer particles in it.
Would the washed growing medium mix be too coarse for these tiny plants? I unfortunately have already killed a good number of cacti and lost most of them to root rot. At times, however, I do not know, if a tiny cactus died because of too much water or not enough water. My latest victim was a Rebutia heliosa, which a cactus club member purchased for me, because he had heard, that I was trying to grow tiny cacti. I did not water that plant for two weeks after I put it in the ground in late spring. The tiny stems did start to cave in after some time and did not bulge after I did water again.
The stems were dried out.
We do have rather dry air most of the time, with the humidity below 20%, compounded by high temperatures. So seedling cacti have a hard time surviving the environment, unless it is modified by humans.

Another question: Because I intend to grow all my cacti in the ground and I still need to prepare the cactus bed with my mineral mix mentioned above, I am going to place the new cactus acquisitions temporarily in pots. Unfortunately, I do not have any of these tiny pots, which the nurseries use. Do you think that a larger pot will be fine, if I put all eight plants into it? I do not quite understand the "over potting" issue at times mentioned when it comes to growing cacti. I did put a Turbinicarpus valdezianus right in the ground and it is still alive after 10 years.

Well, as you can see from my lines, it seems like the growing medium and the correct watering are the major problems faced by cactus growers, especially if they try to grow "finicky" genera and are dealing with tiny plants. I have been out in the field numerous times and have seen, that baby cacti can be there one year and gone the next, because it was too dry for them to survive. On the other hand, I have killed some of my plants through overwatering. Do you use a soil moisture meter?

Harald
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Hi Harald,

You're asking some really good questions, and hopefully I'll be able to give you some helpful answers.

Your half-inch Arios are still relatively young seedlings, and the somewhat larger Turbs are probably in the same category. Unfortunately, I think their chances of survival are rather slim if you try growing them in the ground. You're on the right track growing them in pots until they're bigger and have more well-developed root systems, at which point they should be ready for growing in the ground. If you can't grow your tiny cacti in individual pots, there's nothing wrong with putting them into 1 pot as long as they have the same watering needs. Since they're slow growers, my guess is that your Arios and Turbs should be fine with this for a few years.

My pumice-granite gravel mix has a range of grain sizes going from about 4 mm. down to 1 mm., with a preponderance of grains at the lower end of that range. If your growing medium has a similar consistency, you'll have a suitable mineral mix for your potted cacti. With that said, I'd be concerned about your hot, dry conditions, and a soil-less mix may dry out too quickly (especially in summer!). If that's the case, adding some soil for better moisture retention wouldn't be a bad idea. Commercially-made potting soils are pretty horrible for desert cacti because the organic materials in those soils can lead all too easily to rot. Sandy loam would be ideal, although not easy to come by. In the absence of a suitable soil, a number of growers do well using coir since it's essentially inorganic. I've never had the need for trying it, but there may be other members on the forum who can guide you on how to use coir in a mix. Unfortunately I can't give you any advice as to how much of it you should use in your mix.

Overpotting hasn't been explained well by others, so I'll take a stab at it here. Regardless of what kind of mix we're using, we'll describe the growing medium as "soil mass". When the soil mass in a pot exceeds the ability of cactus roots to efficiently take up water, the medium will retain moisture longer than it should because there's not enough of a root system to take it up in a timely manner. For those who don't know much about cacti -- remember that desert cacti are thirsty by nature, and their roots are designed to go through long periods of drought. They expect cycles of wet and dry, so when we grow them in pots and the medium never dries out, their roots are likely to suffer. While some desert species will tolerate a small amount of moisture when they're watered again, others won't tolerate it at all. I'll use an extreme example -- if you try growing one of your half-inch Arios in a 4-inch "long Tom", the roots would rot away before they ever have a chance of growing. I see overpotting as a more of a problem regarding depth, not diameter (although a diameter that's too big can be a problem as well), so my rule of thumb is to calculate pot depth by measuring the length of the root system. Add 1/2"-3/4" to that length, and that's how deep the pot should be.

Some people rely on the porosity of terracotta pots to dry out their growing media, but this is a bad idea. First, it's a beginner's trick which sets up a competition between the pot and the roots for water and nutrients that should be going only to the roots. And second, the trick tries to compensate for overpotting and/or using the wrong mix. Plastic pots are cheap, so if you have the right pot dimensions and your mix is good, it's a viable option. If you want (or need) to go with terracotta, I strongly suggest that you seal it with acrylic paint first.

Since I grow the vast majority of my cacti in soil-less mix, a moisture meter is useless. Some people can weigh their pots by feel to tell when the mix is dry enough for watering, although I never developed the talent for it. In my case, a digital scale came in handy -- if you want to go that far, here's what you can do. First, pot up your plants with dry mix and weigh the pot(s). Then give them a good drench and weight it (them) again (be sure to take note of the weights!). Keep weighing every day or so, and when the pot(s) go back to its (their) dry weight, you'll know when it's time to water again. With 64 cacti in my collection, the process was way too time-consuming, so I did a "tale of the scale" with selected representative pot sizes. That's how I arrived at the watering schedule I've been following reliably over the last 5 years. If you're working with only a few pots, you can weigh each one for some peace of mind.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Steve,
thank you very much for your quick reply and all the cactus growing wisdom you dispensed. I do not have pumice that is as uniform in size as what you do have. My pumice pieces range in size from dust to 15 mm in length. I did purchase the smallest pumice that the business was selling. However, it looks like they are doing mainly business for gardeners who want to have their yards covered with rock mulch. There certainly is quite a bit of material present which can be passed through my kitchen strainer that has a mesh size of 1 mm. However, because of the larger pumice pieces, my sifted material looks more like top dressing. I do like the pumice, because it is so much lighter in weight than either the desert arroyo gravel or the granite chicken grit.
My indoor growing conditions do not lend themselves to growing anything but perhaps ferns and other low-light accepting plants. I also do not have a greenhouse. That situation forces me to grow all my cacti outdoors.
One last question: When I looked at the newly acquired cacti and transplanted them into a few small square pots of about 3 inch side width, the Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus seedlings, despite being rather tiny, did have such a long taproot, that a bit of the collar is sticking out of the top of the pot. I do have two options: 1. I leave the plants in that small pot and hope for the best, or 2. I could convert a 2 inch diameter, 5 1/4 inch plastic medicine container into a tubal pot by drilling a 1/4 inch hole for drainage in the bottom.
What would you do?

Harald