Good places to get Cactus

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- Yeah, I love those little things. The plant you'll get will be *small*. But raised with tlc. I hand sowed 3,000 individual Agave toumeyana v. bella seeds with a tweezers! They germinate at about 85-90% that way, stuck edgewise in the soil.

peterb
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

For the Epi folks,dont miss this one :wink:
Click [url]
Messed up the url but it works 8-[
Last edited by cactusbutt on Fri May 25, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

peterb wrote:Hi- Yeah, I love those little things. The plant you'll get will be *small*. But raised with tlc. I hand sowed 3,000 individual Agave toumeyana v. bella seeds with a tweezers! They germinate at about 85-90% that way, stuck edgewise in the soil.

peterb
Cool,I get them next week
I figured they wouldnt be to big for $5
JuanKilo

Post by JuanKilo »

Some lesser known however very worthy vendors I've enjoyed. These are my trusted mail order vendors, since I'm sorta out here in no-cacti land.

Grisby Cactus Gardens in California. Awesome plants, packed well and shipped quick. Link is on Cactus Mall Vendors list. They surprise me with selection most every year.

J&J Cactus and Succulents in Oklahoma City. I called to see if they had some plants available listed on their website, which they did and was very pleased with the quality of plants I recieved. I have since met the owner at two midwest cactus and succulent shows where she had plants for sale. Nice selection of choices, well grown, knowledgeable owner.

Of course I use some of the vendors previously mentioned in this thread, such as Miles Anderson and Bob Smoley also. :wink:

now where's the thread for Succulent Vendors? :wink:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

JuanKilo wrote: Grisby Cactus Gardens in California. Awesome plants, packed well and shipped quick. Link is on Cactus Mall Vendors list. They surprise me with selection most every year.

now where's the thread for Succulent Vendors? :wink:
Grigsby is listed here too under "Places".

Post succulents here too as many (like Grigsby) do both.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

J&J brought a truckload of very nice plants to the CSSA Convention in Seattle. They should be a good bet.

We recently bought a few plants from Arid Lands http://www.aridlands.com in Tucson over the net. Very professional and again, nice looking plants.
Buck Hemenway
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

Very nice seeds from Juan and Florencia from Chile, who post occasionally on our forum. "spiniflores".

I recommend them highly.
Tokaia

Post by Tokaia »

If you're in the St. Louis area, Ahner's Greenhouse is an excellent place to get cacti and succulents. They've got things there I've NEVER seen anywhere else. Also, the Missouri Botanical Gardens has a lovely gift shop full of even more lovely (and rare!) cacti.
NOODLEME20

Post by NOODLEME20 »

Maybe I am restating old news, but Shoal Creek Succulents said they have closed. Said it will be indefinite. What a bummer, I've heard many good things about them!!!!
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- sorry to hear about Shoal Creek. Just saw some folks from there a couple of months ago here in Phoenix at the CACSS meeting.

peterb
Zone 9
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

Shoal Creek has been sold and will be opened in April
under new ownership 8)
NOODLEME20

Post by NOODLEME20 »

Oh good! I heard they are a very good cacti place, and wanted to get a few.

I ordered off of Logee's and they were GREAT!!!!!
lordarutha

Post by lordarutha »

Amazing, here I am struggling to find a decent supplier and you have listed loads. I have recently placed an order with cactusplaza based in Holland so as soon as they arrive I will let you know how good the plants/service are/is.
hob

Post by hob »

lordarutha wrote:Amazing, here I am struggling to find a decent supplier and you have listed loads. I have recently placed an order with cactusplaza based in Holland so as soon as they arrive I will let you know how good the plants/service are/is.
places in the UK

http://www.bcss.org.uk/nursery.html
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

Slightly different list (scroll down) here and here. Could do with rationalising, really.