My flowering Cacti 2018

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
hegar

Re: My flowering Cacti 2018

Post by hegar »

Well, 7george, there are some places, where cacti can be grown better than here, e.g. parts of Mexico. However, Texas is the state with the most cactus species within the United States of America.
I do not have a very extensive cactus collection and only one or two plants of many species. Because I do work full-time, I also do not get to photograph all the plants that are in bloom. However, this month and the next are the pinnacle of flowering for most of my plants.
Tomorrow, another one of my 34 species of Echinocereus should be flowering. Hopefully, my wife will agree to take a picture or two.

Harald
hegar

Post by hegar »

The images I am posting today were all taken yesterday. For the first three images I do have to thank my wife, who went out with her cell phone and photographed the plants before they closed their blossoms for the day. The last image I took with my camera. However, by then the lighting was not favorable and the flower color did not come out like it would have earlier in the day (see my wife's image of same plant).
I hope, that tomorrow I will be able to photograph a few additional plants.
The first image shows a "peanut cactus" (Echinopsis chamaecereus). The second an unusual specimen of Echinocereus pentalophus, which does not change its stem color to "purple", when being stressed. The last two images are of my only specimen of Echinocereus reichenbachii ssp. fitchii.
That plant suffered some sunburn, after I took all the large prickly pear cacti out of the cactus bed. However, it did produce four blossoms. Last year it had two and most of the years before that only one flower.

Harald
E_chamaecereus1.JPG
E_chamaecereus1.JPG (102.28 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
E_pentalophus1.JPG
E_pentalophus1.JPG (92.12 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
E_reichenbachii ssp fitchii3.JPG
E_reichenbachii ssp fitchii3.JPG (85.43 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
E_reichenbachii ssp fitchii9.JPG
E_reichenbachii ssp fitchii9.JPG (73.25 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Here are the latest two cacti, both belonging to the genus Turbinicarpus. The first one pictured is a T. schmiedeckianus ssp. klinkerianus. The image was taken on April 25th in the evening. The next day I had to work and most likely the flowers were open then also. However, today I did not see it opening.
The other one is a plant I purchased not too long ago. It is Turbinicarpus horridipilus. I do like the nice pink blossom. I hope, that this plant and probably a few more of this species in the future will become a permanent part of my cactus collection. .

Harald
T_schmiedeckianus ssp klinkerianus.JPG
T_schmiedeckianus ssp klinkerianus.JPG (103.45 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
T_horripilus3.JPG
T_horripilus3.JPG (85.05 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
T_horripilus7.JPG
T_horripilus7.JPG (64.09 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
T_horripilus10.JPG
T_horripilus10.JPG (66.57 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Today some more cacti did bloom.
One of the peanut cacti (Echinopsis chamaecereus) did have three blossoms. Two fo the prickly pear cacti (Opuntia engelmannii and O. aciculata) were also opening flowers. Another cactus, which is a tiny clumping plant with rather small blossoms did open one flower today. It is an Escobaria sneedii ssp. leei. Finally, a plant that I do like, both for its unusual body shape and also its flowers was in full bloom today. This plant is yet another one of the genus Echinocereus. The species name is poselgeri. In the future I may need to tie the thin stems to a stake, because they are getting too long.

Harald
E_chamaecereus2.JPG
E_chamaecereus2.JPG (112.73 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
E_chamaecereus4.JPG
E_chamaecereus4.JPG (88.42 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
E_chamaecereus5.JPG
E_chamaecereus5.JPG (93.92 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
O_engelmannii1.JPG
O_engelmannii1.JPG (72.56 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
O_engelmannii2.JPG
O_engelmannii2.JPG (82.12 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
O_aciculata2.JPG
O_aciculata2.JPG (90.42 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
O_aciculata3.JPG
O_aciculata3.JPG (72.78 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
O_aciculata4.JPG
O_aciculata4.JPG (49.07 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
E_sneedii ssp leei1.JPG
E_sneedii ssp leei1.JPG (92.34 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
E_sneedii ssp leei3.JPG
E_sneedii ssp leei3.JPG (60.24 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
E_poselgeri1.JPG
E_poselgeri1.JPG (117.44 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
E_poselgeri3.JPG
E_poselgeri3.JPG (67.34 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
E_poselgeri5.JPG
E_poselgeri5.JPG (62.48 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
Attachments
O_engelmannii4.JPG
O_engelmannii4.JPG (48.6 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

What an amazing collection really! Love the aciculata
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
hegar

Post by hegar »

E_engelmannii1.JPG
E_engelmannii1.JPG (129.86 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
E_engelmannii2.JPG
E_engelmannii2.JPG (111.84 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
E_engelmannii3.JPG
E_engelmannii3.JPG (76.26 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

I do not know how it happened, but the message got separated from the images and was not posted
So here it is again: The cactus I wanted to present today is an Echinocereus engelmannii. On the first image you can see three other cacti, which also did flower today. One is the peanut cactus (Echinopsis chamaecereus), the other the Texas Rainbow (Echinocereus dasyacanthus), and the third a hybrid named Echinocereus x roetteri. Of the last two mentioned, the former flowered on April 8th first and the latter on March 25th. However, those plants are in a sunny location, while the ones shown with the E. engelmannii are receiving filtered light.
This is one way a cactus grower can either extend the flowering time or have plants flower at the same time, which usually will not do so. I shall try to hybridize an E. stramineus with either a claret cup or a Texas Rainbow using this method. The Strawberry Pitaya (Beehive Cactus) does flower a month later than the other two cacti. I did plant two specimens in a sunny location. The other parent will be obtained from the shady area. Of course, I could also just save some pollen from the earlier flowering plants and use them to pollinate the E. stramineus.

Harald
hegar

Post by hegar »

The only plant that flowered today - and I would have missed it, if I had not just returned from a doctor's visit - was one of my few Turbinicarpus cacti.
I believe, this is a T. pseudomacrochele, but it could also be a T. schmiedeckianus ssp. klinkerianus. Over time, the labels have been lost and I am not even convinced, that the label from the cactus nursery is always correct.
These small cacti always surprise me with their blossoms; not because the flowers are huge or the prettiest of cactus blossoms, but because I do not even see them. Those twisted spines at the top of the plant cover them up. Then, all of a sudden, there is a flower! :)

Harald
Turbi1.JPG
Turbi1.JPG (79.07 KiB) Viewed 4524 times
Turbi2.JPG
Turbi2.JPG (61.86 KiB) Viewed 4524 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Today a good number of plants were in flower and I took images of all of them, except one that will open its first blossom of the year this evening after dark. First in line is a plant, which I already did photograph on April 26th. That plant is unusual, because its stems stay green year round. Today two blossoms were open on my "normal" Echinocereus pentalophus, which responds to any kind of stress by displaying purplish stems. Next is one image showing the small, recumbent cactus Echinopsis chamaecereus with a multitude of bright orange red flowers, followed by another more red flowering cactus, the easy to grow Gymnocalycium baldianum, and finally another large-padded prickly pear (Opuntia sp.), which is almost spine-less, but does not produce large, edible fruit.
The next few images I should be posting before 11 p.m.. I hope, that I will get the illumination to be acceptable and also the focus. I usually take these images with a flashlight in one hand and the camera in the other. Perhaps I should look around, if I can find a tripod somewhere. :idea:
Harald
E_pentalophus purple1.JPG
E_pentalophus purple1.JPG (92.85 KiB) Viewed 4475 times
E_pentalophus purple3.JPG
E_pentalophus purple3.JPG (69.61 KiB) Viewed 4475 times
Echin_chamaecereus8.JPG
Echin_chamaecereus8.JPG (98.45 KiB) Viewed 4475 times
G_baldianum1.JPG
G_baldianum1.JPG (73.88 KiB) Viewed 4475 times
G_baldianum2.JPG
G_baldianum2.JPG (69.66 KiB) Viewed 4475 times
G_baldianum5.JPG
G_baldianum5.JPG (87.41 KiB) Viewed 4475 times
Opuntia2.JPG
Opuntia2.JPG (56.43 KiB) Viewed 4475 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Here is the first blossom this year on one of my Peniocereus greggii (Queen of the Night) cactus
I did take a photo this afternoon at around 3 p.m. and noticed, that there was one flower bud that was starting to open up. That plant does have three branches and each of them holds two large flower buds, for a total of six blossoms.
My other Peniocereus greggii plant does have more top growth and that one does have 10 flower buds. So perhaps tomorrow night, I will be able to see more of these fragrant blossoms in flower.
Most likely, both plants will be in bloom together within the next few days. That will allow me to use pollen from one plant and place it on the stigma of the other E. greggii. It would be nice, to also produce some fruits. I did read, that the fruit is about the size of a chicken egg and has a red color.

Harald
Peniocereus greggii1.JPG
Peniocereus greggii1.JPG (112.68 KiB) Viewed 4457 times
Peniocereus greggii2.JPG
Peniocereus greggii2.JPG (35.95 KiB) Viewed 4457 times
Peniocereus greggii3.JPG
Peniocereus greggii3.JPG (35.72 KiB) Viewed 4457 times
Peniocereus greggii7.JPG
Peniocereus greggii7.JPG (36.94 KiB) Viewed 4457 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Last night the Queen of the Night (Peniocereus greggii) in my front garden displayed three open flowers. Thanks to my daughter and her significant other, who helped with the illumination, using two flashlights, I was finally able to photograph using both hands. LOL
Now my front yard plant has used up four of its six flower buds, while the one in the back yard still has nine to go. However, one of those will be open tonight.
Today my only Echinocereus fendleri var. kuenzleri was also in flower when I returned from work. The plant is slow-growing and not very big. The blossoms seem to open wider than those of the E. fendleri and the spines are larger, more sparse, and not as long, with the central spine missing.
I am going to add the image of the E. fendleri for comparison. I do rate both as beautiful cacti, which are worth having in any cactus collection.
Both E. fendleri plants were in flower today, separated by about one yard.

Harald
P_greggii12.JPG
P_greggii12.JPG (53.99 KiB) Viewed 4407 times
E_fendleri var kuenzleri1.JPG
E_fendleri var kuenzleri1.JPG (94.85 KiB) Viewed 4407 times
E_fendleri var kuenzleri2.JPG
E_fendleri var kuenzleri2.JPG (88.79 KiB) Viewed 4407 times
E_fendleri5.JPG
E_fendleri5.JPG (95.54 KiB) Viewed 4407 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

I just returned from a meeting this evening and noticed, that a total of eight queen-of-the-night (Peniocereus greggii) blossoms were open.
The larger plant did display six of them, with four being close enough together to get them all in the picture. This is definitely the last image of this cactus I shall be placing this year.
Tomorrow, I hope to find some other plants in bloom. I know, that one did flower today, but I expect it to open its blossom also tomorrow.
Until the next time.

Harald
P_greggii 05-10-18.JPG
P_greggii 05-10-18.JPG (46.38 KiB) Viewed 4369 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Well, the cactus I had hoped to photograph today decided to not open its flower. It did bloom yesterday and perhaps because we have had two days in a row exceeding 100 degrees F, the plant was pollinated on its first day of flowering and needed to conserve water.
However, another cactus did bloom. It is a Thelocactus hexaedrophorus, a very dependable bloomer like most members of that genus.

Harald
T_hexaedrophorus1.JPG
T_hexaedrophorus1.JPG (88.75 KiB) Viewed 4318 times
T_hexaedrophorus2.JPG
T_hexaedrophorus2.JPG (75.28 KiB) Viewed 4318 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Today, my wife was nice enough to photograph the second blossom on the Echinocereus rigidissimus ssp. rubispinus plant. I have had this cactus for about ten years now and it still consists of only one stem. Also in all these years it only produced one flower. This time around though I was lucky and two flowers developed. The blossom depicted was produced rather low at the stem. For some time I thought, that the cactus was in the process of growing a side arm. There are still two more knobby growths visible on top of the plant. Perhaps it will develop two heads? Who knows? :idea:

Harald
E_rigid_ssp rubispinus3.JPG
E_rigid_ssp rubispinus3.JPG (80.01 KiB) Viewed 4265 times
E_rigid_ssp rubispinus7.JPG
E_rigid_ssp rubispinus7.JPG (72.11 KiB) Viewed 4265 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Today two cacti were flowering. One of them does have flowers, which can easily be overlooked. It is a cactus native to where I live. Its common name is "pencil cholla" or "Christmas cholla". The former indicates the very thin stems of the plant, while the latter refers to the tree-like growth and the red fruit, which may be present on the plant at Christmas time. The scientific name of the plant is Opuntia leptocaulis.
The second cactus is an Astrophytum asterias hybrid. I have tried to grow the other Astrophytum species, but only these two A. asterias hybrids and two A. capricorne plants are left standing. I am convinced, that the hybridization is giving those two plants extra vigor and makes them less susceptible to root rot.

Harald
O_leptoaulis1.JPG
O_leptoaulis1.JPG (78.5 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
O_leptocaulis2.JPG
O_leptocaulis2.JPG (59.07 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
O_leptocaulis3.JPG
O_leptocaulis3.JPG (55.85 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
A_asterias hybrid3.JPG
A_asterias hybrid3.JPG (87.48 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
A_asterias hybrid4.JPG
A_asterias hybrid4.JPG (78.16 KiB) Viewed 4202 times