Indoor Flowers in Minnesota 2009

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks all - and yes Gene, there are certainly more than one of your old friends. I'm quite positive the Matucana weberbaueri is one of them!

Regarding bloom times... I notice that early spring bloomers I'm behind you mild-climate growers. While everyone was posting their Echinocereus pics, mine were still "blinking their eyes" trying to get used to the bright light. But once they start going, having the greenhouse and long summer days speeds things up a lot.

We average about an hour more daylight than you guys do. I think that adds up over the summer and helps speed things along.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Cereusly

Post by Cereusly »

Daiv, I don't know how I missed this post, but all your plants are really looking great and putting on quite a show. The biggest surprise :o to me is the flower on your Gymnocalicium baldianum. I've never seen a bloom like that on this plant. :o And, what can I say, your L. principis is beautiful. Yeah, I lost many blooms until I figured out how sensitive the developing buds are to any water getting on them. Good growing! Tony
kevin63129

Post by kevin63129 »

Man,that greenhouse has em cranking out flowers.Nice collection.
Addicted to crackti !
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks guys.

Tony, I am going to start a new thread regarding that Gymno flower. I'll come back and add a link to it...

Here it is: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125044
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Can anybody see why I'm so excited?!?!

\:D/
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Cool bud Daiv, can't wait to see it open. 8)
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

daiv wrote:Can anybody see why I'm so excited?!?!
Is that a T. Erectoclada about to flower? nice!
Cereusly

Post by Cereusly »

WOW! Daiv, I've given up a long time ago on my T. erectoclada blooming. :( This gives me hope. :) Can't wait to see the bloom fully opened. Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

You got it! I was glad the the ceiling in the greenhouse is 8 feet because I jumped for joy when I spotted the bud. :o

I fear that I might not get to see it in person since I am leaving Friday noon for Alaska and won't be back until the 24th. :?
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

daiv wrote:You got it! I was glad the the ceiling in the greenhouse is 8 feet because I jumped for joy when I spotted the bud. :o
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:wink:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Another few pics here. I have been getting lots of blooms on the same plants already posted earlier in this post. I won't re-post all those, but just to prove it is true, here is are some new flowers half-open on the A. capricorne:

And the ONE flower that I most wanted to see opened while I was away and my brother failed to get a pic of it for me (not surprised). :idea:

Here is M. krahnii - this is an offset of an offset. I lost the mother plant and salvaged an offset last year. Then that offset put out an offset, but it died. So this is it and it flowered!

Closer view:

For you Opuntia fans - O. salmaniana
Cereusly

Post by Cereusly »

Nice show Daiv! :D I'm as dissapointed as you are about not seeing your T. erectoclada bloom. :( It looks like from that spent flower it was REALLY RED! There's always next season. :) Tony
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Glad you got some blooms there Daiv. :D I'm surprised that your cacti are still very active up in Minnesota! Do they have an earlier dormant period up there?

Bummer on the Tunilla. :( There's always next year :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

We've had sunny days up here in the upper 60's/low 70's. It is often hotter than that at this time of year, but in any case, these are in the greenhouse and so the temps in there are in the 90's during the day. It has been cooling off at night into the 40's or 50's and the greenhouse retains almost no heat. They seem to like the hot days and cool nights, however.

If I can, I want to keep them out in the greenhouse up to November. It will require some night heating, but the sun should do all the heating in the day.

Daiv
John C

Post by John C »

Looking good! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"