A small collection: 2015 and beyond

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Steve Johnson

Re: A small collection 2015

Post by Steve Johnson »

Mertzi wrote:none of the images in the your latest post works for me :S anyone know why? The old ones show...
See the OneDrive advisory I posted on 6/23. Unfortunately the problem is happening more often these days, and I honestly don't know why OneDrive's service is less reliable than it should be. If the situation doesn't get better soon, I may have to start posting my images as file attachments through the forum interface. Not the way I'd prefer to go, but then again I don't want to lose people trying to follow my thread just because of OneDrive's shenanigans. :x
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Steve Johnson

July 1 -- buds a poppin'

Post by Steve Johnson »

Getting ready for Independence Day weekend...

Astrophytum myriostigma quadricostatum.

Gymnocalycium stenopleurum.

My 2013 Mamm guelzowiana (AKA #1).

A. 'capristigma' and #2 -- I'm posting more group shots these days, and I can't let photo ops like this go to waste!

The blooms on both Astros came and went yesterday. But since they're rather generous about flowering, I'll be able to get good pics of them in flower over the summer. In the meantime, we'll have a look at some colorful doings over the July 4th weekend. Coming soon, my friends!
Last edited by Steve Johnson on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
Steve Johnson

A small collection: July 4th Special

Post by Steve Johnson »

It's July 4th weekend already, and here are some fireworks of a different kind to kick off what should be an excellent summer.

Mammillaria grahamii with just a few flowers at the moment, but here's one showing off its lovely size, form, and color:

The flowers on my Gymno stenopleurum take a long time to open this early in summer. August is the hottest month of the year in my part of L.A., so that'll be the time to see a good display out of the stenopleurum and vatteri. Big enough, although to be honest they're not all that colorful. That's okay -- if you want big and colorful, I can oblige...

Well, #2 acted like it as the plant did this going from 6/28 to yesterday:

The 1st would've been the photo op day for both flowers looking their best. Too bad I wasn't there to see it. No problemo as guelzowiana #1 came through with the goods. Here's a wonderfully-framed group shot with the star of our show in back:

The flower is opening, and this sly boots was also kind enough to tip its hand with a new bud:

And here come the fireworks!

Although you can't see it in the last pic, there's actually not 1, but 2 new buds. The flowers on guelzowiana are drop-dead gorgeous, and it's a special treat to see them outside of the species' normal blooming months. More fireworks for July perhaps? And I'm not talking about just our current star either. Yep, Mamm deherdtiana -- again??!!??

A few more brand-new buds to show you -- Strombocactus disciformis:

The disciformis is obviously established well enough after I repotted it at the beginning of February, and I'm really pleased to see an active growing point at work here. As the new bud appears, more are likely to follow, so we may see blooms on my spiny pineapple well into August. And last, but not least...

I just cleared the recently-spent flower on my tease of an Astrophytum asterias, and it revealed this:

The buds look like they could produce a double flower. Maybe a bit premature to see if it happens, but I'll be keeping a keen eye out as they develop.

I promised y'all another installment of "Is this cactus growing?", but there was too much to try cramming it in here. So that's coming up, plus I have 3 cacti prepped and ready for repotting. In the meantime -- have a happy Independence Day, my fellow Americans! :D
Last edited by Steve Johnson on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
Steve Johnson

Is this cactus growing? (Part 2)

Post by Steve Johnson »

In this installment we'll look at the progress of 6 more cacti that were moved from terracotta to glazed ceramic pots. As a point of reference, I'll list them by species and their repotting dates.

Coryphantha retusa (3/29/15).

This specimen is notable for 2 reasons. First, the species rarely offsets, and even then it'll normally be on an old plant. My retusa isn't old enough, but a scale infestation in the spring of 2014 was the likely reason behind the adventitious pups that suddenly appeared about 5 months later. If I'm correct, it's sweet revenge, and scale is unlikely to come back given the plant's strong health. Second, it would be logical to ask if the retusa went blind after the scale attack. Did it? Nope -- the parent's growing point is still alive, although by what we see here, it appears that the plant is concentrating most of its energy on growing the pups. I haven't seen a flower on my retusa yet, but since their normal blooming period is between June and October, I may get to see its first flower before the growing season ends.

Echinocereus rigidissimus rubispinus (4/26/15).

After 2 efforts with rubispinus broke my heart, I can't tell you how gratifying it is to see such good progress with the current one in its 3rd growing season under my care. All that's missing is a flower, but with another summer of strong growth under its belt, I have a feeling that next year will be magic for the plant's first time going from bud to bloom. The best things worth having are worth waiting for, so I'm more than happy to wait for gorgeous blossoms on my favorite Echinocereus.

Sulcorebutia callichroma longispina (4/26/15).

I was a bit concerned about how the plant might respond after its taproots took a "haircut" in the transplanting process. Clearly the longispina wasn't bothered by it, and because I find its new pot with the staging so darned attractive, I'm seriously tempted to keep the plant as-is instead of moving it to a deeper pot. If there are any Sulco experts paying attention to this thread, your feedback would be much appreciated!

Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele (5/18/15). In "terracotta out, glazed ceramic in" Part 9, I detailed the TLC I gave to the plant's roots before I repotted it. On the day of its repot (left), followed by the results after watering on 5/30 and 6/27:

Although changes in the "after" pic are subtle, close observation will tell you that the pseudomacrochele is taking up water, and the apex is exhbiting new growth. Something you won't see in the photo I took on July 4 -- there's a new bud hiding in that tangle of black spines on top. Yes, this cactus is growing!

I believe these last 2 entries should be especially interesting...

Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus (4/18/15). The paper-spine you see here started out as a stem that fell off soon after I brought the intact plant home from the California Cactus Center in 2011. The one I call "Sr." grew a lot, but it turned ugly over time -- now under the care of a friend with the Sunset Succulent Society who was happy to take it off my hands. IMO I got the best of the bargain since Jr.'s base has been producing the attractive stems I'd like to see. Here's my keeper, and it didn't waste any time when a new stem popped out in early April:

On the left, I'll show you the exact spot when glochids gave way to a patch of wool signaling the birth of a brand-new stem -- that was on Memorial Day weekend. And on the right, you'll see how much those stems have grown (I shot the "after" pic on 6/28):

While the paper-spine will grow however it wants, I'm hoping that it'll continue keeping to that nice, even V-shaped pattern. By the way, this replicates the way the original plant looked before the boo-boo that led to my case of accidental propagation.

Pelecyphora strobiliformis (2/14/15). Pelecyphoras are uniquely fascinating, although very difficult to find as grown plants from US cactus nurseries. I believe the fact that they're very slow growers would explain their relative scarcity, so as it is with rare cacti, time and patience was required as I went on the hunt for both species. TimN was the first one who answered my call, and I was very lucky to win the bid for a 4-head strobiliformis he had up at auction through eBay. If the plant was growing at all in 2013, it was inside the pot -- nothing to see on top that year. I wasn't expecting much anyway, and based on the history Tim had with it, I figured on a long wait before the heads would wake up and show me signs of noticeable activity. As in 3 years? That was his experience -- imagine my pleasant surprise when the strobiliformis got way ahead of Tim's curve by growing last summer. Given my own (albeit limited) experience, I figured the repot 5 months ago would mean a year of getting the roots re-established before the plant starts growing again. Now here's another pleasant surprise -- the strobiliformis asleep in early March, and clearly awake as shown on July 3:

Also on July 3, showing the opposite side of the plant:

A before-and-after with the view from above:

New growth on the subadult heads has been obvious from the moment I started noticing activity last summer. Not so obvious with the juveniles, but a slow (and interesting!) transition can be detected when we do a close-up comparison between May 2013 and today:

So there we are -- all 4 heads are definitely growing! In several of my "terracotta out, glazed ceramic in" presentations, I made a big point of the fact that rinsing the fines out of my pumice-DG mix was an important correction to the only mistake that could've set me up with some long-term trouble. Since the cacti are now growing in clean mineral mix, my hope has been to see a positive response in more vigorous behavior of root systems that were being held back by the all the DG fines I left in the mix before. I think the strobiliformis is providing us with a good example of the response I was hoping for. I'll have other examples for you, but we'll get some additional mileage on our summer before I post up the pics. (Hint -- you may like what my other Pelecyphora is doing!)
Last edited by Steve Johnson on Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Steve Johnson

Another OneDrive advisory

Post by Steve Johnson »

It's so annoying that we even have to talk about this, but...

Here's what I notice about OneDrive. As soon as I post up new digital pics, the images in the post or two behind it disappear temporarily. Then when you come back and try again, they reappear. Could be simply a matter of reloading the page after a few minutes, although not even that is reliable. After weighing the pros and cons, I've made an executive decision in favor of continuing to host my pics through OneDrive so I can keep them nice and big for y'all. Such being the case, once again all I can say is -- thanks so much for your patience!
Steve Johnson

After the fireworks, here's a sparkler

Post by Steve Johnson »

Frailea grahliana.

Last edited by Steve Johnson on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
george76904

Post by george76904 »

That frailea looks good! Keep up the posts. And hopefully one drive will catch up sooner or later. Either way I will read for content if nothing else :wink:
Keep up the posts!
Will
Steve Johnson

OneDrive out, flickr in!

Post by Steve Johnson »

I finally went on the Microsoft Community forum last night to try and get a definitive answer re. what's happening with the disappearing images. Well, my friends -- OneDrive has decided to dispense with static file URLs, so the service is now essentially useless for hosting digital images at places like the forum. :evil: :x :P After thinking a few thoughts I wouldn't say out loud in polite company, I decided to give flickr a try. Thus far it's working great, and I'll be hosting my digital photos through flickr from here on out. Just in time too, since I'll have some nice surprises that would've been spoiled if I stayed with OneDrive.

Okay, I'm caught up with everything I've posted since the 1st, but I'll have to go back and see if there are more missing images that need to be replaced in flickr. Thanks for sticking with me through the OneDrive troubles, and we can move forward with the knowledge that you won't see disappearing pics anymore.

Cheers, everyone! :)
Steve Johnson

More fireworks

Post by Steve Johnson »

July 6 -- my Astrophytum quadricostatum on day shift:

The day felt more like spring than summer, so the flower didn't want to open up all the way. However, this week of "June gloom" in July isn't unusual, and once we get past that into the real heat, I'll show you some honkin' big flowers on the plant. But wait, there's more!

On night shift, Discocactus buenekeri:

Here's a nice close-up set as the bud goes into full bloom:

Zooming back again for a full view:

I was blessed with the opportunity to view my first-ever Discocactus flower when the buenekeri bloomed once last year. It was wonderful to see its magic again 2 nights ago, so hopefully I'll have more nocturnal submissions for you this summer. If not the buenekeri, then I do have another night-bloomer, and this one likes to put on repeat performances -- Pygmaeocereus bylesianus.

Housekeeping note -- the images in my 6/6 and 6/14 posts have permanently disappeared, thanks to that :evil: service I shall not mention by name. As soon as I can, I'll replace the AWOL pics with what I'm outsourcing through flickr. Once those posts are updated, you'll get to see what you may have missed. By the way, is it just me, or are the flickr photos loading faster? If so, then I kinda wish I ditched YouKnowWhat a long time ago. Oh well, live and learn!
george76904

Re: A small collection 2015 (night-blooming update on page 6

Post by george76904 »

Man I love that astrophytum! The discocactus buenekeri flower is truly somethingi love how many layers of petals it has.
Steve Johnson

Flickr to the rescue

Post by Steve Johnson »

Although it took some figuring out, I've found the flickr interface to be rather smartly designed and easy to use. All remaining AWOL images are now up through flickr, so if you go back to page 5, you'll be able to see whatever you missed when Microsoft made their decision to mess up their customers' work on YouKnowWhat. Since I'm highly confident about the reliability of an image-sharing service that won't let us down, I'll get back to posting new stuff for you soon.

Cheers everyone! :)
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

george76904 wrote:Man I love that astrophytum! The discocactus buenekeri flower is truly somethingi love how many layers of petals it has.
The quadricostatum is looking great, isn't it? I think the plant is as wide as it'll get, but definitely on the way to being a columnar. My capricorne is the other large Astrophytum I got when I started the collection in 2011. Since both species become columnar with age, the capricorne will be heading in that direction too. Re. the buenekeri, I'm getting a ringside seat on some interesting Discocactus growing behavior. As I add more benchmark photos to the archive this summer, I'll post up a nice little presentation on what this lovely Brazilian cactus is doing.
Last edited by Steve Johnson on Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Johnson

Terracotta out, glazed ceramic in (Part 12)

Post by Steve Johnson »

My first visit to the Huntington show on June 27 was disappointing for a couple of reasons. The first had nothing to do with the show itself, as a scheduling jam-up left me with all of an hour and a half before I had to hightail it back to my place. The second disappointment came when my "potter in residence" Joe Wujcik was laid up and couldn't be there, although the outing wasn't a complete bust thanks to the Skyview Succulents sale table and 4 pots in sizes I need. Here's what came home with me that day:

The pot on the upper right is a buy-ahead I've reserved as my Pygmaeocereus bylesianus needs a deeper pot than the one I have it in now. The other 3 pots are about to be gainfully employed. Now let's see what happened over the July 4th weekend. First up is a 2011 "veteran"...

This Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus klinkerianus was already old when I found it at the California Cactus Center. How old is anyone's guess, although it could be positively ancient by Turb standards. Most of the corking you're about to see took place last year -- on the north- and south-facing sides of the plant, and you'll notice that the better part of the corking is on the southern exposure:

Given the plant's advanced age, corking is not unexpected, although it seemed to happen awfully fast. With that said, I hoped the klinkerianus would be done with its corking, but the orange patches clearly show that it isn't. (In case you were wondering, those patches aren't coming from mite attacks -- just the corking process.) The roots look like what one should expect, so that part isn't bad. A wonderful development came with the arrival of 2 brand-new pups in August 2013, and they're doing rather nicely:

Upon closer inspection of the plant I just unpotted, I discovered something that had been hidden in the top dressing:

Yes, indeed -- that pup is growing a double head! Time for the repot:

A common theme running in my work on the forum over the last 3 years has been discussion of the need for thorough root preparation before we repot cacti, especially when there's a change in the type of mix to be used. After moving the collection from the CCC's heavy soil-based mix to pumice-DG mix in 2012, I found myself coming up short in that regard, so I've given the roots of my 2011 "veterans" some extra attention during this project. The klinkerianus certainly needed it, and with squeaky-clean roots going into mineral mix free of DG fines to muck up the situation, I believe that my old Turb will appreciate getting the best care I can give it from now on. And since we already know it can grow pups, perhaps the plant will be motivated to pop out more of them in all that corking. By the way, my klinkerianus was healthy enough to sprout a bud when I repotted it. While the bud didn't show up well in the pics you saw, I may be able to show you the bloom.

Astrophytum asterias is on the list of cacti I had horrible luck with in my young days. Unfortunately my track record wasn't any better when I included one with the cacti I purchased at the CCC in 2011. First, their mix was all wrong for it. Second, I knew nothing about the species and how tricky it can be to grow. I had to learn this the hard way when my CCC asterias lost its roots and went to the great compost heap in the sky. No reason to be depressed about it, though -- in my first spring using mineral mix I was already impressed enough by the results to get bold about trying again with cacti I might've given up on otherwise. Since I had great first-time experience with plants from CoronaCactus Nursery that spring, I made another purchase in July 2012, and with some sound advice from the grower to guide me, I finally had an asterias that actually started growing for me. Even better, I was thrilled to see my first-ever asterias flower 2 summers ago, and the plant has favored me with additional blooms ever since.

Then and now -- this is what mineral mix can do:

Aren't those roots fantastic? Here are 2 different angles, although to be honest there's a good side and a not-so-good side:

The not-so-good side is a spot of corking that advanced far enough to be visible above the top dressing. I haven't seen a sufficient number of in-person examples to know if corking is normal with asterias, although if it is, my guess is that it would be visible only on older specimens. Mine isn't all that old yet, but even if something about my particular growing conditions (humid microclimate perhaps?) caused premature corking, I won't complain at all given how well the asterias is doing in general. Here we are in its new pot:

As the plant settles in, it'll be a good test to see if the buds abort or continue on for blooming. The asterias didn't seem to mind DG fines in the mineral mix. However, with a potful of clean mix for the roots to live in, I wouldn't be surprised if this encourages it to follow through with flowers.

The 3 cacti in this presentation are special cases, albeit it for obviously different reasons. Which brings me to case #3 and a species that IMO deserves much better representation than it gets among US collections. 2012 was a game-changing year in so many ways, one being a decision to lift my self-imposed ban on buying cacti in fall and winter. The Echinocereus rubispinus and Frailea castanea you've seen before came from CCN that December, and when I was preparing to make the purchase, the grower was kind enough to let me know about a Gymmnocactus ysabelae he had for sale. Seeing photos of the species on Cactuspedia, there was no way I'd pass it up. Such a beautiful plant, plus it helped seal the deal to know that I would be getting a rarity. I'll show you how far the ysabelae has come, here on 3/6/13 followed by repotting day last weekend:

Oh yeah! If these pics blow your mind just a little bit, check out the following -- another example of what mineral mix can do:

And the repot:

I was hoping the "terracotta out, glazed ceramic in" project would be done by now. But regardless of the unforeseen circumstances that leave me with 2 cacti still in need of glazed ceramic, I'm pleased to give you a photographic survey of the collection as it is today:

Going section by section, here's the top shelf...

...Shady Glen...

...and Sun Valley:

There's no urgency about finding the pots I have left on the "to buy" list. As much as I'd prefer getting them from Joe, he's not the only game in town -- since there's plenty of time, the remaining glazed ceramic pots will be in my hands by the beginning of next spring one way or 'tother. In the meantime, I'll leave y'all with a brief review of my concerted effort to replace the unintentionally dirty pumice-DG mix with thoroughly rinsed "play sand"-free mix.

Any signs of transplant shock I've seen were minimal, and in a few cases none at all. Because the mix basically hasn't changed since I started using it over 3 years ago, that certainly helps. What has changed emphasizes the point I've made several times concerning the importance of being diligent about getting the fines out of the mix if decomposed granite happens to be one of your ingredients. Although the improvements are subtle, I'm noticing faster response time with new growth among cacti that were slow to establish in the past. Since it's still early in summer, dramatic progress won't start showing up in before-and-after photos yet. I'll leave that for my End-of-summer review, and when I put it together, we'll know if I can back up the claims I'm trying to make. If those claims pan out, then guess what? I have a bunch of cacti in glazed ceramic pots that are sitting in dirty mineral mix. Thus far they haven't suffered any, but since I need to be ahead of the curve before potential problems get the chance to show their ugly selves, I'll be repotting these plants in clean mix sometime in winter as they wait for the next growing season. I'm also ready for the prospect that some of them will need bigger pots too. I've run into that problem over the course of my "terracotta out, glazed ceramic in" adventure, and it sure is a nice one to have!

Up next, I'll post a few pretty flowers for you as we move toward mid-July.
Last edited by Steve Johnson on Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Johnson

Flowers of summer: July 11-12

Post by Steve Johnson »

Before we get to a review of the weekend's festivities, I just wanted to give you a brief description of "the summer that wasn't" I've referred to elsewhere on the forum. In the greater Los Angeles area, our first week of July 2013 was hot and very humid due to the effects of a tropical storm down in Baja -- miserable for us humans, but great for the cacti. Then not long after the July 4th holiday, the weather suddenly changed to being unseasonably cool and cloudy. Daytime highs rarely got above the mid-70s with a very persistent marine layer that wouldn't burn off until late afternoon. In fact, there were days when I didn't see the sun at all. This weather pattern kept up for about 6 weeks until it finally broke and brought back the heat in late August. But by that point, the cacti which were relying on summer heat for growth and flowering hadn't done much of either. Unfortunate, since late summer didn't suffice to make up for lost time. That's why I call 2013 the summer that wasn't. Unusual yes, but with all my years of living in L.A., I know that our weather is fickle enough to throw curveballs like this every now and then. Nice local history lesson -- what about the summer that is?

While last week was a bit on the cool and cloudy side (not unusual), our coastal overnight marine layer is burning off in the early morning, and the 7-day forecast in my area is showing upper 70s to about 81. Normal for this time of year, so I think that a repeat of "the summer that wasn't" will be unlikely. As an inveterate weather-watcher, I pay very close attention to patterns -- if clear overnights are par for the course by the end of July, I know that we'll have a wonderful summer going on. Ironically enough, this human doesn't like hot summers. However, if I can see my cacti performing their magic, I'll gladly put up with the heat! Speaking of...

Here's a Frailea castanea showing its first bud of the year in May:

I haven't actually seen the castanea in flower before, although the species needs a lot of heat to do that. Maybe it hasn't been hot enough for the plant, or simply bad timing (or a combination of both), so all I can offer for the moment is from yesterday with the castanea's seed pod about to burst:

I'll pull the pod off before it dehisces, and we'll find out if there's another bud under it. If I get lucky, the next bud I see could be the one that blooms. Fine as far as it goes, but you'd rather see flowers, wouldn't you? I'll start you off with 3 Turbs.

Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele.

My Turb klinkerianus kept its flower going just long enough for a decent pic yesterday. Nice to see it with the pseudomacrochele in the background:

A close-up from the side:

And a couple of top views:

Turb polaskii yesterday and today:

My Mamm guelzowiana from 2013 (AKA #1) suddenly comes alive with buds and flowers:

Well, only one, but it's a beauty!

Not the best lighting there. In this close-up of the flower, I blew out the brightness and contrast so you can see the colors better:

#2 with a bud:

I forgot that the species has a May-July blooming period, so it's not a surprise to see my guelzowianas getting busy now.

This is surprising -- Mamm deherdtiana at the end of an incredibly long flower run that began way back in March:

Oops -- I stand corrected!

After I repotted it at the end of January, it's pretty clear that the deherdtiana is concentrating its energy on root growth and flowering. Certainly well beyond the normal spring blooming season for the species, and I think it would be fair to chalk this up as another success story when I moved the plant into a potful of clean mineral mix. Since the summer is still young, that energy could start going to the production of new pups too. An amazing Mammillaria definitely worth watching, isn't it?
Steve Johnson

Flowers of summer: July 18-19

Post by Steve Johnson »

SoCal has been in for some pretty wild weather, as tropical storm Delores spread a monsoonal system out into parts of L.A. that normally wouldn't get what we experienced yesterday. And that would be -- lots of rain plus thunder and lightning reaching all the way to the coast. That part of the story is covered here, so the other part will be a look at another wonderfully busy week on the plant bench.

The sun was already out when I got up to get ready for work Tuesday morning. With the overnight marine layer nowhere to be seen, the Turb polaskii from CoronaCactus was up too -- day 3 and its flower still looking good:

Another early riser -- here's the Mamm deherdtiana bud I showed you last Sunday, followed by the view Tuesday morning:

Since there are no more buds on the horizon, the deherdtiana may be starting on another little project. What could it be? You'll find out soon!

Mamm guelzowiana #1 just waking up:

Melo matanzanus (AKA "tail-end Charlie") with a touch of summer magic Tuesday evening:

Late afternoon/evening is also a good time for Gymnocalyciums in bloom during summer. Not exactly the fastest when they go from buds to flowers, so this gives you an example featuring a vatteri on 6/28 and again Tuesday evening:

Another example -- Gymno stenopleurum on 7/1 followed by 2 weeks later:

I'll give you somewhat better pics of the stenopleurum shortly. As I've mentioned earlier, the flowers on my vatteri and stenopleurum won't look their best until the real heat of August kicks in. And yes -- big, but not all that colorful. If it's colorful you want, nothing beats Gymno baldianum. Oddly enough, I should've seen a flower or two out of mine by now. Hmmmmm, I wonder what gives. Perhaps because the baldianum hasn't fully re-established after I repotted it at the end of March. Not to worry, though -- the plant's first bud of the year has finally arrived. Better late than never!

While Delores was putting on a show for the massive open-air theater we call SoCal, there was a much smaller show much closer to home...

Mamm guelzowiana can go into bloom surprisingly fast when it's hot enough (as in now!). Here's #2 with a bud on Thursday, followed by a gorgeous blossom yesterday:

A tiny sideshow provided by my Frailea castanea:

Most of the time, the castanea doesn't photograph as well as I'd like because of dust buildup on those spines. However, the rain really helped, and the wet look did produce a rare and appropriately flattering shot. Right before that, I did take off the seed pod, revealing what I hoped to see -- another bud. Well, that and nice new growth. Such a lovely little thing, ain't it? :)

Delores broke up fast overnight, so whatever rain may be happening today is confined to the mountain and desert regions of SoCal. My part of L.A. is mostly sunny, and aside from some scattered clouds, this is a perfect July Sunday for showcasing the current stars. We'll set the stage with the latest on a couple of cacti. Epithelantha micromeris tends to be stealthy about hiding its buds before they flower. Not so with E. gregii 'rufispina':

Unfortunately I'll have to miss the flower, although the gregii loves getting busy in summer. Since there's so much going on with that plant, I have a feeling the best is yet to come!

More stage-setting -- Turb pseudomacrochele:

And now for the main event -- Mamm guelzowiana #1 with a wide-open flower:

I cranked the field stop all the way up to f/22 so I could get #1 and #2 pretty much in focus for this pic:

A side-by-side comparison of the flowers:

I'll end this weekend's flower session with the Gymno stenopleurum:

Actually, those shots aren't bad, but I'll get rid of the sunlight to give you a nicer close-up of the flower (new bud at no extra charge):

While Delores stands off in the distance, it's still feeling awfully tropical around here. Overnight low was 66, the daytime high hit 94, and the humidity? Yeccchhhhh!!!!! But with all the summertime activity I'm enjoying on the plant bench, I'll consider it a small price to pay!

Okay, that was the week in flowers. However, there's some other good stuff that went with it, so that'll be covered in my next post. See y'all then!