Hello from Estonia!

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
AnuT

Hello from Estonia!

Post by AnuT »

Hello!

I'm Anu Tähemaa, a female cacti-grower from Estonia (Northern-Europe, south of Finland). I "infected" with this disease when I was 7 ... Today I have more than 250 species (not too much, isn't it?). Especially I love the Chileans. And the others, too. I know user "Breky" from this forum, she is from Estonia too, and we meet sometimes.
I have an account a while ago, but I have not posted yet. I was a thankful reader :D

Estonian climate is wet and cold. It is near to be zone 5, but it is really wet usually. Actually is our climate different every year, it could be cold and wet in summer, it could be warm and arid. Warm is more than about 75F (24C) :wink: Winter can be over zero and rainy, and can be more than -20F (-30C) and without snow :|

I try to add some pics of my collection.

Image Copiapoa laui fma. FK 1053

Image Neochilenia deherdtiana KK 114

Image Frailea angelesii P 390 n.n

Image Echinocereus russanthus SB 965

More pictures you can see in my homepage http://www.cacti.planet.ee/minu_kaktused.html. You need to scroll down somewhat to reach the table in where are listed my older cacti; I have a lot of young seedlings too. To see a picture you have to click on Latin name. Sorry, my page is only in Estonian :(

My best wishes to all of you,
Anu
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Anu,
welcome to this cactus forum. I see that you are already a proficient grower and have a large cactus collection. Do you have a sizeable greenhouse that you are using for your hobby?
The plant images posted show, that you do know what you are doing and that you are successful with the task of growing cacti.

Harald
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Welcome Anu, good to have you on the forum. Those are some great looking cacti you posted.
Looking forward to having on the forum :)
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hello Anu, :hello2: You have a beautifull collection!!!
Looking forward to seeing more from Estonia. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

Welcome! :D your plants are really nice and well grown
AnuT

Post by AnuT »

hegar wrote: Do you have a sizeable greenhouse that you are using for your hobby?
No, I don't have a greenhouse. During summer my cacti are in 2,5 square m coldframe and in this small "greenhouse".

[center]Image Image [/center]

To find places suitable for wintering is quite a problem. When collection was smaller, they were on windowsill, a polycarbonate shield isolating from warm air.

[center]Image [/center]

But now I try to overwinter them in basement. Some Echinocerei were last winter in same coldframe where in summer. Successfully :D , but some Mamms and Feros (supposed to be hardy to -12C/10F) did not tolerate this. Actually I have to sell some plants to make room for new species.
john b

Post by john b »

Welcome!

You have some beautiful plants. Hope to see more of them. :D

Space is a problem for me, too. Fortunately it does not get very cold here.

Best,

John B
John C

Post by John C »

Welcome to the forums Anu! :wave: You have some nice cacti! I can't wait to see more pics!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Anu,
As you pointed out you are not new to the forum, but just posting for the first time. So I say "Hello" and so glad you shared your plants with us. You have some very nice cacti and I see you even have collection numbers so I know you are seriously "infected"! Just what we need! :wink: :P

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti