Information on wooden greenhouse

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
floyd

Information on wooden greenhouse

Post by floyd »

I am just about to start building an 12 x 16 foot WOOD extension to my greenhouse. Actually I have a 8x10 ft Northern Light Greenhouse and I have run out of room :( . This structure will be next to it.

I have a couple of items which I need help with.

a. I have tempered glass sheets 20-1/4 inches x 5 ft long. I notice that one side of the glass is smooth and the other rough to the touch. Which side should face the outside of the greenhouse or does it matter??

b. I am planning on placing the glass between the rafters and the wall studs. The glass will be resting on a strip of 1x3 nailed to the inside of the roof trusses and the wall studs. My question here is, Do I have to get some sort of rubber gasketing to go around the glass sheets before installation or would I use the appropriate caulking on the 1x3 strips and then sit the glass on top of the caulking?
Lets Grow Cacti!!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Floyd,
I'm not a professional, but I'll give my two cents on this.

a. So the glass is "rough" on one side like a shower door? I would put the rough side out as it will be easier to blast with a hose to clean from the outside as opposed to the inside.

b. I'm sure the appropriate caulk would do the job without a gasket.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
floyd

Post by floyd »

Daiv thanks for your reply.....
. Actually two of the glass pieces that I will be using are from shower doors. I have several other pieces of glas that also have a rough surface on one side. Do you know of anyone else who has used shower door glass on their greenhouse? I am a greenhorn at this but was thinking that the glass would allow good lighting into the greenhouse. Any other comments would be appreciated.
Lets Grow Cacti!!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey, I'm a big fan of reusing materials. I've not heard of others doing this. The only drawback I see would be the size/weight of the pieces. But at least if it breaks you'll have a million little pieces and not have a big sharp piece come down like a guillotine.

As for light transfer and such, I'm sure it will work as well as any other glass. That is, I don't know of any light blocking properties added to shower doors.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

I say go for it Floyd. I agree to put the textured side out for ease of cleaning. I don't think you need a gasket, caulking applied correctly should do the job. I would imagine the textured finish will allow enough light threw to do the job.
I also like using whats on hand over spending a bunch of money. Do keep us updated on your Handymans Greenhouse addition :)
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Oh yes, pictures of the project are a must! :wink: