Mammillaria Bocasana

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Bryony Skelton

Mammillaria Bocasana

Post by Bryony Skelton »

Hi
I'm new here but I think this site is really helpful.

I have a Mammilaria Bocasana. It is about 5cm high and 8cm wide. I bought it from a nursery quite recently. The bottom areoles are dark green but all in about the top half are much lighter. Does anyone know why this might be and if it is supposed to be like that?

Also, at the bottom of the cactus, the hairs have gone brown. Could this be because they are against the side of the pot because they are touching the pot.

Thanks very much

Bryony
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Bryony, I think that your plant sounds perfectly normal. The newer top growth of a plant is almost always lighter than the older growth below and the older spines also tend to become more brown and brittle than the new ones.

All of this is perfectly normal. Some cacti as they age also become brown and 'corky' at the bottom of the plant. Although some people think this is a little unsightly it is perfectly normal for the plant.

If your plant is very light green, it may have been in poor light and needs to be given as much bright light as possible. This would also happen if the plant has been grown through the darker winter months. Cacti, certainly in England should not be watered from October to late March. If they are dry during this period, they can stand the cold much better and also get their winter rest which is beneficial to the plant.

If the plant is in a warm centrally heated room, a little water about once a month is sufficient to stop the plant from shrivelling, without bringing it into active growth.

Hope this helps,

John
Bryony Skelton

Post by Bryony Skelton »

Thanks a lot.

I think I may have been watering them a bit often but now I think it is OK.

Bryony