Growing Lithops and Other Difficult Mesembs

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mrs.Green

Re: Growing Lithops and Other Difficult Mesembs

Post by Mrs.Green »

I came across this blogpost; https://lithopsblog.wordpress.com/2020/ ... -watering/. Any thoughts about this?
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Mrs.Green wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:40 pm I came across this blogpost; https://lithopsblog.wordpress.com/2020/ ... -watering/. Any thoughts about this?
Towards the end of winter my Lithops seem to stall their absorption of the old leaves and that's my signal for their first water of the season. Soon after, they continue pushing themselves out of the old leaves and fully absorb them. By the next time they show signs of thirst, their old leaves are completely dry.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

MrXeric wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:19 am
Mrs.Green wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:40 pm I came across this blogpost; https://lithopsblog.wordpress.com/2020/ ... -watering/. Any thoughts about this?
Towards the end of winter my Lithops seem to stall their absorption of the old leaves and that's my signal for their first water of the season. Soon after, they continue pushing themselves out of the old leaves and fully absorb them. By the next time they show signs of thirst, their old leaves are completely dry.
Thank you MrXeric :) That info was helpful.
keith

Post by keith »

My Lithops got rained on in DEC by mistake and they are fine and started growing in Winter outside but this is a warm climate. Its mid Summer they die if watered too much in my collection. it gets very dry in Winter plus we had a drought winter rain year.
C And D

Post by C And D »

I start watering my Lithops selectively around Late March, early April
Some still have there old leaves, but by May, it's all dried up
Some species dry up quicker.

But that's my conditions in Sunny So. Cal
I water them weekly May until Sept
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
Catigrappler_

Post by Catigrappler_ »

I feel like I have a better understanding of when to water according to the season with the great info in this thread. It’s mid September and the nights are a lot cooler here in Dallas, Texas so I know I can start to water my Lithops more generously with fall around the corner and they haven’t flowered yet (my vendor says these are about 6 yrs old). I have them potted in basically 100% in-organic material, I recently repotted and successfully rooted them so I had been water sparingly. One of my Lithops got bit fat and swollen so I haven’t watered it much and I was watering the other just around it to get it a little more plump, so long story short 😅 my question is do I have to wait until it shrinks a bit before I can water again even if I’m in a growing season? And if it’s swollen and I don’t water for a bit I’ve read you don’t want to let the soil get bone dry so I’m conflicted about watering to moisten the soil but also not to over water.
Attachments
rsz_cc2872ad-cc1c-48ea-8b1c-d3c6be87cefd 2.jpg
rsz_cc2872ad-cc1c-48ea-8b1c-d3c6be87cefd 2.jpg (173.93 KiB) Viewed 7946 times
keith

Post by keith »

You can just spray them if you don't want wet soil they will absorb water. Some Species can take more water than others and even can take Summer water. And others just die with Summer water in hot climates. Lithops aucampiae can survive Summer water at least mine can. Now Sept I water the lithops a little more.
Lupask01

Post by Lupask01 »

For me, lithops sometime are very tricky to care for. They grow their new leaves 5 or 6 months ago, in April or May, and until now they haven't completely absorbed the old leave, despite I gave them no water at all. What should I do?
I put them in a shaded area, maybe 50 to 70% shade cloth. I have only grown them for about 2 years. Sometimes, they just collapse without any signs or symtomps.
keith

Post by keith »

What should I do?" Light spray of water ?
kwesiobruni

Post by kwesiobruni »

Lupask01 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:53 am For me, lithops sometime are very tricky to care for. They grow their new leaves 5 or 6 months ago, in April or May, and until now they haven't completely absorbed the old leave, despite I gave them no water at all. What should I do?
I put them in a shaded area, maybe 50 to 70% shade cloth. I have only grown them for about 2 years. Sometimes, they just collapse without any signs or symtomps.
I would suggest less shade to start with. I use a 30% cloth in the summer and nothing in the winter. I also don't believe in letting them go completely without water. I am sure in Taiwan you are much more humid and so maybe that works but even during their dormancy I still give them just a bit of water, maybe enough to go into the top 1/4 to 1/2 inch of soil every week or two just depending on whether the sun is shining. I have great success this way but every situation is different so just experiment a little and you will find what works for you. Good luck:)