Growing Lithops and Other Difficult Mesembs

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
iann

Re: Growing Lithops and Other Difficult Mesembs

Post by iann »

You can start Lithops off more or less like cactus seed, but they'll fairly rapidly need higher light and better ventilation. Although they can be grown for several weeks in 100% humidity (and I do) or even longer (I know one person who grows them for several months in bags), they will bulk up very quickly and then explode from taking on too much water, or the first true leaves will struggle to get out past the bloated seed leaves. Best to get the germination done, then ventilate. Direct sun is OK but be very careful to avoid overheating. A pot full of white seedlings that were healthy 2 hours earlier means they boiled.

Avoid commercial potting soils for Lithops. They're not keen on peat or bark, although the seedlings will do OK in it until you need to repot and can't get the peat off the single taproot without snapping it. Even small seedlings are not hard to keep watered.
--ian
1bigfruit

Post by 1bigfruit »

I like the muria like some kind of secret whale!
A Moth is Lighter than the Sea, but Dimmer than the Light it Sees.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Ok. I bought this Pleiospilos nelii in April 2013 not having the faintest idea of how to care for it. I have read and read until I become confused by sometimes conflicting advice on the subject, so I have blindly tried to combine what I have read (mainly on here) with the common sense advice taking into account.ew;l./;3wsedddddd of where it comes from and the conditions it lives in, always remembering that our climate is so unnatural for it. Well, I've managed to pull it through it's first year, much to my surprise and satisfaction, it grew it's new leaves, and the old ones are nicely shrivelled. My question is: Is there any way that I can encourage it to flower by improving conditions taking into account that we have had a terrible spring here with lots of cloud. This is what it looks like today-
P1080605.JPG
P1080605.JPG (130.41 KiB) Viewed 22279 times
P1080604.JPG
P1080604.JPG (99.39 KiB) Viewed 22279 times
I am trying so hard to get this plant to flourish. I would like to get some more but not until I know that I am capable of looking after them properly. It is out when the weather is good but I always move it if there is a risk of rain, I mainly just mist it rather than watering as I know it that it doesn't receive rain in habitat. Just need an opinion that it looks alright and that I am looking after it properly. ANY advice welcome.
Thankyou
Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iann

Post by iann »

Looks a bit thirsty. And a bit over-potted. Could go another year with hardly any water though :lol:

Can't use common sense on these plants ;)
--ian
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Tiggy wrote:ANY advice welcome.
I wish I could give you solid advice. But for some reason these Pleiospilos nelii plants always die on me within a few weeks as bought plants. I don't seem to have troubles with self sown ones, though. I just noticed today a rotting Pleiospilis nelii I obtained last autumn. An amazing half a year I managed to keep it alive. Must be a record. I wish I could understand why I cannot keep them alive after buying a bigger plant...
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Thank you Iann. I have been very mean with the water after reading that many people often lose them through over-watering. It's only really had one drink all year (this year that is) although I do spray it regular, and if we happen to have had a cloud sitting on top of us I have let it get some moisture from all the humidity. I'll try re-potting it then Iann and give it a little more water. Do these plants need feeding?
Aiko wrote:
Tiggy wrote:ANY advice welcome.
I wish I could give you solid advice. But for some reason these Pleiospilos nelii plants always die on me within a few weeks as bought plants. I don't seem to have troubles with self sown ones, though. I just noticed today a rotting Pleiospilis nelii I obtained last autumn. An amazing half a year I managed to keep it alive. Must be a record. I wish I could understand why I cannot keep them alive after buying a bigger plant...
Oh dear Aiko, that's not very encouraging :( I only have this one. It's a challenge for me, if successful I will probably get some more. Otherwise I will try with maybe just one more at a time until I can "crack it". Not too sure about seeds, maybe one day......

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I have just re-read all the posts on this argument to re-fresh the "old grey matter", and feel a bit more confident and hopeful for success :? (I think). Thank you again for the replies.

Susi
Nature Lover
iann

Post by iann »

Not watering is just a band-aid for anything else that might be wrong. It means your plant will die slowly instead of quickly :lol: The two important things to get right are the soil and the timing of when to water. Just like the "impossible" cacti, these things don't tolerate rich organic soils. Even more than those cacti, they don't like to be completely dry for extended periods but they also don't like to be too wet. One approach is to "spray" (ie. water very lightly) frequently, but I find it easier to use a gritty soil in a clay pot. I can water relatively normally but they dry out very quickly. Don't be afraid to leave them dry for a few weeks, but don't be afraid to water them either if they need it. Avoid heavy watering during very hot weather.

If you've had the plant for a year then it probably isn't in the pre-killed state that Aiko buys his plants. The colour looks about right so it should have been getting enough light and have toughened up from the state it was in when it left the Pleiospilos factory. They do need feeding but not much. Over-feeding will put them back in the fat green state that rots so easily.

If you're going to repot then just check that they have a reasonable set of roots. Don't expect too much, but roots should probably be bigger than the body of the plant except for very large specimens. Pick a pot the size of the roots.
--ian
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Thank you so much Iann. I will follow your advice and re-post on any progress. Very helpful information. I was hoping for a response from you as I know that you (among others on the forum)have good knowledge and experience of these plants. Thanks again.

Susi
Nature Lover
david90531

Post by david90531 »

I'm recently going to receive my first batch of mesembs. I think there are three lithops, a Argyroderma Crateriforme, and a pleiospilos royal flush.
I know Lithops have very different watering regime compared to others. Is it okay for me to pot the Lithops in one pot, and Argyroderma and pleiospilos in another pot?
david90531

Post by david90531 »

david90531 wrote:I'm recently going to receive my first batch of mesembs. I think there are three lithops, a Argyroderma Crateriforme, and a pleiospilos royal flush.
I know Lithops have very different watering regime compared to others. Is it okay for me to pot the Lithops in one pot, and Argyroderma and pleiospilos in another pot?
Any ideas? Pretty please :?
fenestrane

Post by fenestrane »

david90531 wrote:I'm recently going to receive my first batch of mesembs. I think there are three lithops, a Argyroderma Crateriforme, and a pleiospilos royal flush.
I would not put Pleiospilos and Argyrodermas in one pot. Pleiospilos need a little water all year long, while Argyroderma's watering regime is VERY dependent on the amount of sun they get. Lots of sun - little water, moderate amount of sun - no water at all.
david90531

Post by david90531 »

fenestrane wrote:
I would not put Pleiospilos and Argyrodermas in one pot. Pleiospilos need a little water all year long, while Argyroderma's watering regime is VERY dependent on the amount of sun they get. Lots of sun - little water, moderate amount of sun - no water at all.
Thanks! That's good to know.. the place that's sending me the plants told me Lithops have to be in one pot and the other two can go together.
I grow my succulents at an apartment window that gets good indirect sun most of the day and direct sun for 3-4 hours so it's not that much sun I think.
Yay Canadian!
fenestrane

Post by fenestrane »

My Argyrodermas get about 1/10th of the water that my Pleiospilos (in the same conditions) get.
david90531

Post by david90531 »

fenestrane wrote:My Argyrodermas get about 1/10th of the water that my Pleiospilos (in the same conditions) get.
I see. Sounds good, I've got 2 pots prepared for them separately. Does argy have similar watering schedule as Lithops (a bit in summer, nothing in winter, etc.)? Do they flower around the same time? I know Pleiospilos flower in February or early spring so it's quite different.