Hello

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
Gelboy

Hello

Post by Gelboy »

hello i'm new HI! Here is a little backround-- i am 14 and might be the only kid on this Forum, i live in Maryland and for the past week i have been in love with my cacti that i have just gotten i think i'm turning into a cactus head because all i want for christmas are more cacti! well #1 hi and thanks for making this because i can us this place for my Q&A, here is my conflict---- I have 4 cacti, one is a Cylindropuntia another is a Escobaria sneedii and another is a Parodia leninghausii (yellow tower) and the last one is a Acanthocereus tetragonus. i got the Cylindropuntia, the yellow tower and the Acanthocereus tetragonus from home-depot(a store) about 5-6 years ago, but my sister had them those 5-6 years because i gave them to her as a gift along with another. The other cactus died (in her care) after that cactus died she gave the rest of them (Cylindropuntia, the yellow tower and the Acanthocereus tetragonus) to me. I got them about a week ago and i have no idea what i'm doing and i need help to try and get the rest to live!!! The Escobaria sneedii was given to me by a friend around a week ago too, it's a baby and very small but the weird thing is, is that it's starting to bud and that mean flowers soon right? Again i'm sorry i'm very new to all this cacti stuff but i think all of this stuff is very cool and i need some helpful tips! 2 of the 3 of the cacti i got from my sis are getting partful sun along with my Escobaria sneedii. The other one (Cylindropuntia) is getting slowly moved into "full sun" but i need some helpful tips on where to put and what to do with the 3 others. Thank you and i no this is not the place to ask this stuff but i really need some help on saving these cacti! :) thank you! (below is my Cylindropuntia)>>

--Liam
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Liam,
Glad to see you joined the forum. I'm also glad to hear about some of your other cacti. Please post freely here and don't worry, we're not a group that worries so much about posting in the right spot and all that. The main rule around here is be friendly and that is done here quite well so it will be easy for you to find your way.

In Maryland, you'll probably not be able to give any of your cactus the amount of sun they need over winter. In that case, keeping them dry and cool is the best thing to do. Do you have a room in the basement or something like that where you can keep them at around 45-50 degrees F?

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
John C

Post by John C »

Welcome to the forums Liam! Hope you have fun and learn alot here!

o, and you are not the only kid on the forums...

...I am 13!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Liam,
a warm welcome to this forum from the west Texas city of El Paso. I do hope that you are going to enjoy the company of the forum members. There are quite a number of young folks from all over the world that do regularly post here, including one fellow from El Paso, Texas.

Harald
Gelboy

Post by Gelboy »

Thanks (to everyone)

#1-- yes i do have a room perfect for that but sadly it doens't get a lot of sun but i guess thats ok because we want to keep it dry and cool. The room is my bedroom!
Last edited by Gelboy on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Liam
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Liam and welcome. Your room is 45-50F? I hope you wear warm clothes and have a down comforter. :-)

Anyway the advice is right, try to keep the plants cool and dry enough to not grow at all until spring.

peterb
Zone 9
Gelboy

Post by Gelboy »

Yes it is, my room is in the basement. I sleep with a bunch of stuff on. Thanks guys ill move it today. Why dont we want it to grow at all until the spring?
--Liam
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Gelboy wrote:Why dont we want it to grow at all until the spring?
With the shorter days of winter and the sun not being as strong as it is in the summer, plants will etiolate (meaning they grow thin and lankey) with the lower light.

Oh and Welcome to forums!
Gelboy

Post by Gelboy »

o okay and thanks
--Liam
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Liam,
If the plants are dormant, they don't need any light. Mine are in total darkness for the winter.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti