Sydney hello

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
Isometric

Sydney hello

Post by Isometric »

Good day to all. I've owned a cactus (E. grusonii below, about 20cm diameter) for about five years, the longest ever. But that's not to say I'm a bad carer of cacti, I never had that many to start with. I forgot about it for five years and I'm so thankful now that it's still alive.

So I've just recently been bitten by the cactus bug and I can't stop collecting. It all started when we cleaned up the garden and I decided to repot my Golden Barrel. They're all over the place now.

Sometimes I wish I lived in Mexico, where all the cacti are native. I see very little variety in Sydney's cacti distribution places (what is Collector's Corner like?).

That's about it really, I have about 20 plants of succulents and cacti, of which most have at least mild sunburn (my fault). I have plans to obtain many more, especially some rare genera such as Aztekium and Uebelmannia, but hear those aren't the easiest to care for so maybe I shouldn't be so quick to kill innocent beautiful cacti. Hopefully this forum will give me the knowledge and confidence to grow all the cacti in the world.

I'm so glad there is such a thing as this CactiForum.

Roger

Ps Any thoughts or experiences on Sydney climate for growing certain species or succulents in general outdoors?
Paralysis by analysis...sigh
MicroNinja

Post by MicroNinja »

hello Isometric, im in Brisvegas.
welcome, cool grusonii.

Im sure this forum will give you more than enough knowledge and confidence.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

welcome from Melbourne! :)
peterb

Post by peterb »

Welcome from freezing cold Phoenix Arizona USA, where it's down into the low 60sF overnight. :-)

"Down under" is well represented here, glad you joined the club!

peterb
Zone 9
CoronaCactus

Re: Sydney hello

Post by CoronaCactus »

Isometric wrote:Hopefully this forum will give me the knowledge and confidence to grow all the cacti in the world.

I'm so glad there is such a thing as this CactiForum.
Welcome Roger!

No hope is needed, this forum WILL give you the knowledge and confidence 8)

Oh yes, we are all very glad the CactiForum exists!
John C

Post by John C »

Welcome to the forum Roger!

I couldn't answer your question but there are plenty of other members from Australia that probably could.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Roger,
I also welcome you to the cactus forum. As John C. said, there are a good number of cactus and succulent collectors here from "down under". While our flowering season is either over or about to end, yours is just starting. That is good so, because as a result we do have blooming cacti year round. :)

Harald
Tony

Post by Tony »

:hello2: Hello Roger.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
echinopsis ed

Post by echinopsis ed »

Isometric wrote: Sometimes I wish I lived in Mexico, where all the cacti are native.
I'd prefer to enjoy the cacti in the north of Brasil myself, but I luckily have family living there. 8)

Mexico ain't half bad either. Why not live in a tent out in Baja, California and enjoy the cacti as well as Baja itself? :wink:
Isometric wrote:I see very little variety in Sydney's cacti distribution places (what is Collector's Corner like?).
Picture Coles or Safeway full of cacti and succulents and that's what Collector's Corner is like.
Isometric wrote:Ps Any thoughts or experiences on Sydney climate for growing certain species or succulents in general outdoors?
Apparently Sydney's weather is better than in Melbourne, although you do seem to have many downpours compared to us, not to mention hailstorms? :wink:

Check out the cacti species growing in my garden.

BACK GARDEN:
http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

BACK PATIO:
http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

FRONT GARDEN PATCH - which is under going change.
http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ight=front
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

echinopsis ed wrote: Apparently Sydney's weather is better than in Melbourne, although you do seem to have many downpours compared to us, not to mention hailstorms? :wink:
it's a common myth. Melbourne receives barely over half of Sydneys average annual rainfall. wait it that a good thing or bad thing?
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Welcome Isometric, From the Sunshine Coast of Taz.

Nice Golden Ball!!

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.