Help with Identifying Cacti w. Yellow flowers

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
daviddad

Help with Identifying Cacti w. Yellow flowers

Post by daviddad »

I've recd many cactus/succulents? as gifts over the years, and given them as well. However, we've never had much luck keeping them healthy, or alive even. This time I decided to go to the experts for help. I kinda figured I should know the species before I ask for any "how to" advise. So, I've posted several photos of my new cacti/succulents friends. Any help on species ID, and thoughts of how to help keep them green?

I need help in identifying this plant. Please check out this site for photos:

http://daviddadz.tripod.com/id6.html
David A DeWitt
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Hi David,

The first one is a Cereus tetragonus(monstrose) Please remove those yellow paper flowers :wink:
The second is a African succulent Pachypodium Lamerei.
And the last one is a Austrocylindropuntia subulata -some monstrose variant.

-Magnus
daviddad

Post by daviddad »

Thank you Magnus. I appreciate your thorough identification of all of my mystery plants. And, as it turns out, I just discovered that those "flowers" were indeed fake, GLUED on with hot glue no less?? But, they have live seeds on them, so appear to be a "real" flowers, Straw Fowers I think. I can't believe that they actually GLUE on flowers...amazing what sellers will do to get us to buy. Obvously you already KNEW that these were NOT natural flowers. Thanks again for the quick ID info. I am now ready to start searching for the "how to care for" instructions for each of these plants. Any sugestions on where to start? Danka!
David A DeWitt
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Obvously you already KNEW that these were NOT natural flowers.
Good call Magnus, an imposter amid the cacti :lol:

I'm not as smart as Magnus when it comes to IDing cacti but I suggest ya change direction in which the third plant recieves sunlight.

Bill
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

daviddad wrote: Any sugestions on where to start? Danka!
I think that you can find some info here on CactiGuide. You can also try http://www.desert-tropicals.com.

-Magnus
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

ihc6480 wrote:
Obvously you already KNEW that these were NOT natural flowers.
Good call Magnus, an imposter amid the cacti :lol:

I'm not as smart as Magnus when it comes to IDing cacti but I suggest ya change direction in which the third plant recieves sunlight.

Bill
Pheww.....Bill..... :roll:

-Magnus :lol:
daviddad

Post by daviddad »

[suggest ya change direction in which the third plant recieves sunlight]
You are absolutly right there Bill. I took that picture of a neighbors catus because she also wanted help with identification. I did say I thought she had left it in the same exact window location too long. Sorta obvious right? Anyway, we are both working on re-potting and generally taking better care of our small collection of cacti, and as you pointed out, proper light conditions will be a good start, eh?

To Magnus, et all... How dumb am I? I didn't even realize those were "fake" flowers until my neighbor noticed it on the one I gave her. Was just too taken by their color to look more closely. You learn something every day...Son-of-a-gun!!!

Thanks again for all your cacti support.
David A DeWitt