My Greenhouse Extension

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Good to see the progress is coming along Floyd :)
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

Great job! Nice to hear from you again been woundering were you've been. 8)
From the High Desert Steppe
of the Great Basin and foot hills
of the Sierra Nevada Range
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sierrarainshadow/
sierrarainshadow
floyd

Post by floyd »

Byron....Yes, those are tubs which are used to make a water garden. My son-in-law bought the setup cheap enough and gave them to me. We have quite a mosquito problem here so I decided not to do the pond. I also have a problem with bermuda grass gettin into all my beds if I don't think of ways to keep it in check. :protest: So....whalla, I turned the two tubs into two small cactus gardens. There are also two tubs that were used for cattle supplements that were given to me. I planted some cacti in them last year. I hope to dig holes and place them in the ground with the top a little above ground level.
Lets Grow Cacti!!
floyd

Post by floyd »

Carona...I have some woodworking experience and I don't mind reading and re-reading and asking others for input when I need help. I have enclosed a patio before but other than that, gained general experience by working with others.
Lets Grow Cacti!!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Heavy duty!

I notice that there is not as much window space on the west wall. Are you going for some afternoon shade with that part?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
floyd

Post by floyd »

Daiv.... On the west wall I will be installing four pieces of glass 2'4" W by 4'-6"Long that I removed from salvaged shower doors. In addition, I have two long narrow pieces of glass that are 10"W by 7'5"Long that will be doubled to fit in the center of that wall as well. The total width of the glass area on the west will be a little over ten feet and with the shower doors being four and one-half feet long plus the narrow piece of glass being approx seven and one-half feet long, I figured that I would get adequate sunlight from the west. Each end of that wall is sheathed with approx two feet wide by the eight foot height of the wall. Time will tell if I would need to add more glass. If so, I could cut windows on those two ends as well and install window glass there. Were you perhaps looking at the north wall with the single large glass window?
Lets Grow Cacti!!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thats going to be some greenhouse Floyd! :D
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Floyd, no I was thinking about the west. But like you say, time will tell. It actually might be a handy thing to have slightly more shaded spots in the corners where you could put Obregonia or others that don't want full direct sun.

What are you be putting up for the roof?
floyd

Post by floyd »

Dave I have tempered window glass sheets that are 5ft. Long X 21-1/2In. wide which I plan on putting on the roof between rafters. I was planning on placing eight of them on the west side of the roof and four on the north east side of the roof but now I am thinking that I should put roof sheathing on the ends because of my concern for stability. The fact that I had to make adjustments to the new east wall next to my existing Northern Light Greenhouse has presented a new challange. It was necessary to modify the trusses on that side by shortening them. If I can manage to make the five foot long window glass fit, I will also use them on that part of the roof also. If I run into a problem fitting them there, I will have to use some smaller pieces of tempered glass that I have. At any rate, I will be getting some sunlight through the roof which should halp. Since this is my first attempt at greenhouse building, I am learning as the project progresses. It has been a real challange so far but I am having fun and looking forward to its completion. By the way, I will be building frames with hail screen (hardware cloth) to place above each roof window for the purpose of hail protection.
Lets Grow Cacti!!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yeah, sounds good so far. What have you decided for ventalation?
floyd

Post by floyd »

Dave I forgot to mention that I will be installing a 32" x 17" Greenhouse automatic vent window near the peak of the roof. In addition, I will install two 9-1/2" x 29-1/2" aluminum vents on the west wall, one 17-1/2" x 23-1/2" aluminum vent on the south wall and one 17-1/2" x 41-1/2" aluminum vent on the north wall. All are centered under windows. I got these at a scrap yard and there are no control on any of them. Basicly they are aluminum frames with louvers and I plan to put screening on the inside of each one to keep out the mosquitos, fly's and ??. In the winter I plan to put two inch thick rigid insulation on the inside of the vet openings. I have a large 30" heavy duty inclosed fan with shutters that I plan to use to move air around and out of the greenhouse when it gets to hot. I would like to put this fan on a thermostat to turn on and off automatically.
Lets Grow Cacti!!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That ought to be plenty of ventalation!
floyd

Greenhouse progress

Post by floyd »

After a long delay these are updated photos of my greenhouse project. Sorry about so many photos but I am hopeful that these will be of some help to others undergoing construction of a hobby greenhouse.

I am nearing completion of the project by working on window and door trim on the outside and installation of metal roofing.

Enjoy....

Basic Framing North and West Walls
Sheathing being installed South wall with entry door opening, window and vent below window

img]http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/userpix ... 1414_2.jpg[/img]
Sheathing installed west and and other walls
West wall showing relation of Northern Light Greenhouse on east side of addition
West and North walls showing window and vent openings below

Interior framing north and short east walls
Interior framing west wall
Another view of west wall and relation of existing Northern Light Greenhouse to addition
Installing trusses
View of trusses on addition
showing material holding trusses in place at peak
Finally installing siding over plywood underlayment on west and north walls
Installing glass on roof and polycarbonate on top of south wall. This was also done on the north wall.
West Wall
Recent photos of my greenhouse project interior
Lets Grow Cacti!!
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Holy Crap! That is one serious looking greenhouse, well done. I could live in there!