My Greenhouse Extension

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
floyd

My Greenhouse Extension

Post by floyd »

Well after three years of collecting tempered and insulated glass I have finally enough to get my greenhouse extension started. My plan is to add a 12ft x 16 ft approx addition to my older Northern Light Greenhouse. After much reading and drawing I decided it was time to take the leap. The nice weather we had in November gave me a chance to get started. I put up forms and poured the foundation for the addition. It has taken me a long time since I have had to design the structure around the glass that I have saved up. Here are a coupld of photos of the start. One to give an idea of the formwork with the concrete pour and the other with the forms removed. Next the walls (Wish me Luck!!!) but that will come after the weather warms up again. I will try to keep updating with photos as the work progresses.

Lets Grow Cacti!!
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Nice job Floyd!
Gotta keep up with the collection! 8)
Be careful with that glass!!
globetrottersara

Post by globetrottersara »

Wow Floyd, Good job! :D
Will send some "good weather vibes" overseas!
"Ya know, life could be a lot worse, Sara. I could be driving a minivan." - JJ (horseman)
redrose999

Post by redrose999 »

Great job

Let's update about your greenhouse when you're done.
greenbaron

Post by greenbaron »

Can't wait to see it when done! It must be so nice to have that kind of talent and ingenuity...
I'll bet you're enjoying the journey, too!
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Looks like you have it all thought out and it looks good thus far. Looking forward to your updates as I'm a do-it-yourselfer also and have been toying with the idea of building a greenhouse.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Floyd, looks like you're off to a good start! So fun to "go along for the ride" on this. From your planning to completion. I especially like your reuse of material! I'm a big fan of putting old "junk" to use! I don't know why exactly - I'm not that frugal - just something about it feels right to me.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

I love to see the step-by-step greenhouse build pics. I've been "toying with the idea" of my hubby building me a greenhouse too. 8)
floyd

Greenhouse Extension Update

Post by floyd »

Hello all :) It has been a while since I have posted so thought that since the weather has been agreeable and allowed me to work on my project that I would share some photos of progress on my greenhouse extension. I will continue to post photos as additional work progresses.

Trusses being painted prior to installation onn greenhouse.
North (The Long Wall) and East Wall FramingImage
South wall with door frame and wndow opening with vent framing below.
West Wall Framing
West Wall with sheathing (Openings are for four glass windows from shower doors and two vent openings and a long double glass window goes in the long center opening)
Another view (partial) of west wall showing small existing greenhouse on opposite side.
West wall and view of North wall showing large window framing and vent framing underneath. Sheathing has been secured.
One photo of interior showing framework along west and North walls
Trusses going up.
All trusses up and secured on top with sheathing osb

I will be framing in for an automatic vent window on the east side of the roof and window glass between the trusses on both east and west sides. I decided to put a large double pane insulated window on the north side since I wanted to make use of this nice window. There is a building to the north of the greenhouse which will provide some winter protection, I hope!!. In reading about greenhouses it is advised to keep the north wall solid but since I did not want to waste the glass window I decided to see how it would work. I am puting masonite siding on the plywood sheathing that has been installed but prior to doing this I caulked all way around the bottom of the plywood where it meets the botom plate attached to my foundation. I also caulked inside along the bottom.
Lets Grow Cacti!!
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Looks Great Floyd. :) In your first picture, are the plants planted in plastic containers which landscapers use as ponds?
mendel

Post by mendel »

Nice floyd, looks like youve bought a little lumber there.....a worthwhile endeavour indeed.

Are those rabbit hutches in the background? Im having a hard time finding a few females and male to begin raising for food. If you have extras send me a pm. I would gladly pick them up.

regards,

mendel
Southeast Colorado, zone 6b
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Wow, lots of progress. Looking great Floyd!
That thing is gonna be around for a l...o...n...g time! You've gone above and beyond with your extra beefy framing job. You've done this before, haven't you ;)
CoffeeAddict

Post by CoffeeAddict »

You DO have a permit for this structure, right? :D

Nice addition. Wish I had one.
Joe

Zone 5a/5b
iann

Post by iann »

Looks nicer than my house :shock:
--ian
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

iann wrote:Looks nicer than my house :shock:
Hmm. I was just thinking it'd make a nice holiday retreat... when can I come?

:lol: :lol:

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.