Another unidentified non-flying cacti.

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
myrsky

Another unidentified non-flying cacti.

Post by myrsky »

I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me what species is my spiny little friend. Bought it from local flower-shop 2days ago and as usually it just said roomcactus.

http://nyt.nyppii.com/~myrsky/huonecacti.jpg
Last edited by myrsky on Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi and welcome to the forum! This looks a lot like what gets lumped under the name "Cereus peruvianus monstrose", but that is unnoficial. I keep waiting for someone to do the work on that one to figure out just where it's from. :|
myrsky

More anonymous cacti.

Post by myrsky »

Hello! Thanks for your help. <3
I went shopping again :oops:, and met a new spiny friend who came along to my place. But once again all the info provided by my local flowerdealer was "Cactus". :D

I was able to come over the conclusion that it most likely belongs to Echinocereus genus, but that's where the confusion started and the trail ended. (very diverse genus) :?
http://nyt.nyppii.com/~myrsky/echinocereus_perhaps.jpg

:?:
All cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti.
templegatejohn

Cacti ID

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Myrsky,

Daiv is I am sure quite right the first plant is most probably Cereus peruvianus v. monstrose, but it could be Cereus hildmannianus v. monstrose which is very similar. These plants are seen close to many computers in England and they are becoming commonly known as the Computer Plant. Supposedly they act as a "filter" to take the radiation emitted by computer screens out of the atmosphere. Maybe it's true, I don't know.
The second plant is definitely a Gymnocalycium and my money is on horstii or Gymnocalycium buenekeri. If and when it flowers if they are pink it is horstii, if they are white it's buenekeri
daiv
Site Admin

Re: Cacti ID

Post by daiv »

templegatejohn wrote: These plants are seen close to many computers in England and they are becoming commonly known as the Computer Plant. Supposedly they act as a "filter" to take the radiation emitted by computer screens out of the atmosphere. Maybe it's true, I don't know.
Ha! You ought to add that to the Uses for Cacti section. I have not heard that before. I should use that as an excuse to expand my collection on the desk space at the office I work at to increase the number of plants I can grow. A cactus on every desk! :lol:

Also I think you are correct on the ID. Gymnocalycium without a doubt.