I LOVE THIS FORUM !

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
kevin63129

I LOVE THIS FORUM !

Post by kevin63129 »

I recently bought a few cactus and caught the cactus bug.I am divorced,live alone,and get visitation to my 2 boys,12 and 14.My 14 yr old is into growing some of the worlds hottest peppers,we have 20 in my kitchen now.The hobby has really helped him.After i brought the cactus home,my 12 yr old showed an interest,and even brought a list to me of his favs that I was going to get from mesa garden.I really want him to get a hobby we can both enjoy.I am going to order some seeds from the depot.I am on disabilty,and dont get much money,and I am glad I found a hobby that isnt so expensive,but has so much enjoyment.I plan on growing seeds mostly,but wouldnt mind getting cuttings and offshoots to start me out faster.I have read all the relevant info on seedlings,and spend hours a day on this site.Many thanks to daiv for providing this enjoyment,and also to the people that have already offered assistance.I will gladly accept seeds or any cuttings and will pay postage.thanks again. Kevin and sons
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for the kind words and welcome aboard. The Seed depot is definitely a good place to start. I'm really glad to hear your boys are interested in growing plants too. We're also committed to keeping this site clean and safe for all ages. Any school projects that involve cacti, we're happy to help with too.

Here is an example:
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10960

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Welcome to the forums. :D :hello2: I'm glad you like it. :)

P.S. I am a fan of spicy food.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Welcome, Kevin and sons!

I think the club in the area where you live (St. Louis?) is very active and a great bunch of folks.

http://www.hscactus.org/

I think one of the first Cactus and Succulent Society of America national conventions was hosted by this club many years ago. Local clubs are a great way to pick up great advice and a lot of plants!

I started being interested in growing cacti at about age 10. I haven't always been able to keep it as part of my life due to moving around a lot, etc, but I've always come back to it.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Saguaro123 wrote: P.S. I am a fan of spicy food.
I forgot about that. Add me to the list of hot pepper fans! :thumbup:

I found some Habenero Chedder at Costco on the last visit - way better than any Jalepeno chedder I ever had.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
John C

Post by John C »

Welcome to the forums from John in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas! :hello2:

I also enjoy growing very hot peppers in my garden, I grow many different types of peppers, from banana peppers to habanero peppers. The hotter the better!!!!! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) :hello2: Hello Kevin and welcome to Cacti Guide, hope you enjoy it here. :D
I totaly understand about disability both my hubby and daughter is are on SSI, at times its a real strugle. :( Thats awsome your children are into growing plants, cacti and succulents are a wonderful hobby. I to am a big hot pepper fan. Nice to meet you. 8)

John C wrote: I grow many different types of peppers, from banana peppers to habanero peppers. The hotter the better!!!!! 8)
Right on John, same here the hotter the better WOOT!! :wink: :D
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
CelticRose

Post by CelticRose »

Welcome to forum! :)

I, too, was pleasantly surprised to find out how inexpensive this hobby can be -- as long as you're not into rarities, that is. :wink:
My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

CelticRose wrote: I, too, was pleasantly surprised to find out how inexpensive this hobby can be -- as long as you're not into rarities, that is. :wink:
Yup. I've notivced that this hobby gets more and more expensive as you get more into it. 8)
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hello again Kevin, we met earlier in an other post. :)
I too started out very slowly and very inexpensivly, growing mostly from cuttings and buying a few little things here and there. As I met more people in the hobby, my collection grew as a result, cactus and succulent people just love to give away cuttings. After a few years I ended up haveing so much stuff I started throwing things away cause one person can only grow so much stuff, right? So then I joined a club and now I take lots of stuff to the meetings for raffels and give aways, and to trade for things I dont have. :D
As mentioned before, joining a club is a great way for you and your boys to get plants you may not otherwise get a chance to get and learn a thing or two in the process.

Oh, and I DONT like peppers, vile weed! :P
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
kevin63129

Post by kevin63129 »

Thanks for all the great replies .I can only hope that my son is as interested in cactus as i am.I have pm'd coronacactus and emailed him and I am waiting for his address.He told me to.As soon as i can I will place an order for seeds.I cant wait to get my seeds planted.Thanks again everone.Kevin,brett,and kyle.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Kevin, brett and kyle, there is nothing more awsome than sowing cacti seeds and having them germinate, brings great joy and makes one VERY PROUD that they have succeded in brining life to a cactus and watching it grow over time. :wink:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
John C

Post by John C »

*Barracuda_47* wrote:8) Kevin, brett and kyle, there is nothing more awsome than sowing cacti seeds and having them germinate, brings great joy and makes one VERY PROUD that they have succeded in brining life to a cactus and watching it grow over time. :wink:
Agreed!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Hello again Kevin and sons :)

It's great to see such enthusiasum! But be carefull, it can get out of hand... i may just be the poster child for *out of control cacti collections* 8) :P

PM replied to ;)
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Kevin,
I also want to welcome you to the cactus and succulent forums. It is nice to hear, that your boys are interested in growing cacti too.
The hobby of growing hot chili peppers is a neat one also. I did get introduced to hot peppers when I was stationed here in El Paso with the German Airforce. Since that time these fruits have been an integral part of my life. I even wrote a Master's thesis about the effects of various fertilizer treatments on the growth of chili pepper plants. Habanero peppers are a little too hot for my taste, but Jalapenos and Cayenne cultivars are fine. So are those small, spicy ones like "chile pequin" and the one with black seeds "chile manzano".

Harald