New backyard Beds

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Cool pics man.
Exit sign? What exit sign? I don't see no stinking exit sign! :lol:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I like the view from up there! That yard of yours sure has changed a lot since I visited you!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
jmdupuyoo

Post by jmdupuyoo »

Your garden is very nice and interresting. I would like to known if your plastic shelter protect well from rain. Some drop may move not horizontaly with wind. Do you cover with plastic on lateral side? If yes does strong wind is a big problem.
I'd build two cover for cactus here in south of France and I have to find a latteral protection. Does horticultural net (use to protection Citrus against frost) can be use?
Sincerely.

Jean-Michel
Tony

Post by Tony »

jmdupuyoo wrote:Your garden is very nice and interresting. I would like to known if your plastic shelter protect well from rain. Some drop may move not horizontaly with wind. Do you cover with plastic on lateral side? If yes does strong wind is a big problem.
I'd build two cover for cactus here in south of France and I have to find a latteral protection. Does horticultural net (use to protection Citrus against frost) can be use?
Sincerely.

Jean-Michel
Thanks Jean-Michel.

Yes, they protect suprisingly well from both rain and frost.
I do use plastic sheeting temporarily on my covered benches to protect plants from rain coming in from the sides. I have not had a lot of problems with wind with this setup, but so far, my yard seems well protected from the full force of most strong wind events.

Sorry, I have no experience with horticultural net so cant comment on that.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

WoW! Everything looks so great Tony. Im very jealous...in a good way. I love cactus and have plenty but because I live in southern Louisiana, as far as having anything in the ground cactus-wise is pretty much impossible. We get too much rain here and along with the humidity nothing would last in the ground. I will suffer growing in pots. But again, WOW!! I really love your landscaping.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thank you for the compliments Joel, and thanks for the bump, I have been wanting to update the last project.
I will return with new images soon. :)

Tony
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

Your very welcome Tony. I really like your columners. May I ask did you get them at your local nurseries? Here the nurseries we do have don't carry cactus. I must get all mine from the local home/lumber stores (with very few cacti at that) or try and find nurseries with online sites.

Since you started your landscaping, have you had any "trial and errors"? Having to dig up and move a plant to another spot?

Im just awed by all your different cacti and succulents.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Joel143 wrote:Your very welcome Tony. I really like your columners. May I ask did you get them at your local nurseries? Here the nurseries we do have don't carry cactus. I must get all mine from the local home/lumber stores (with very few cacti at that) or try and find nurseries with online sites.

Since you started your landscaping, have you had any "trial and errors"? Having to dig up and move a plant to another spot?

Im just awed by all your different cacti and succulents.
Yes most of the columners I have came from friends, local nurseries and a few I grew from seed.
I have had to move plants on occation.
Some plants do really well and grow faster then others, so the slower growing ones need to be moved, or sometimes the faster growing plants get the boot altogether.
Last summer I had the Gates club plant rescue team here and they filled a trailer with plants (mostly euphorbias) that had grown to big and just grow to fast to be welcome anymore.
Its a constant battle with so little space.

Tony
Tony

Post by Tony »

The final bed with Aloes in bloom.
Aloe wickensii
Aloe aculeata

Some random images.

Deuterocohnia lorentziana

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Aloe suprafoliata

Tony
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

Beautiful. 8)
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

Mesmerizing!
That curly curvy opuntia looks awesome... and thats the first time i'm praising an opuntia in my life!
-Mughal
Tony

Post by Tony »

And now some comparison pics just for fun....

Ferocactus macrodiscus and Tephrocactus articulatus var. diadematus then.
And now.

Aloe dichotoma (right center) with an almost invisible aloe microstigma offset below and to the right.

And now.

Consolea rubescens with Opuntia macrocentra from El passo TX. to the left and Opuntia aurea? below.

Last edited by Tony on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

The growth on that Tephrocactus articulatus var. diadematus is unbelievable. I got a small plant this year. I would be delighted if it grows to even ten percent of that size.
-Mughal
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Love the before and after pictures! Watching the plants every day is like watching your children grow. You don't realize how much they have grown until you see an old picture. (Or, maybe have to buy them new pants...)
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Tony, nice growth. I wish it was warmer here in the winter :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.