My Cacti 2009

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
CelticRose

Post by CelticRose »

Nice plant. :) Sorry you missed the flowers. :(
My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com
hegar

Post by hegar »

Before I go to bed I wanted to post some digital images of my Harrisia jusbertii. It is a night flowering cactus. However, if you do not need to obtain the most pristine photo you can wait until the next morning and photograph it then. The color rendition is better in any case and you do not need to be there by 5:30 or 6:00 a.m.. I took these images after 7:30 a.m.. It did help, that the sky was overcast.

The last image was taken using the super-macro setting on my camera. I do like it a lot! :D

Harald
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Beautiful flower Harold!
It's just stunning! :D
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That flower stalk does confirm the Harrisia ID too. Is that the first flower on this one?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
peter

Post by peter »

A beauty! :)
CelticRose

Post by CelticRose »

Gorgeous flower! :)
My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thank you for your comments! Some of the night-flowering cacti do have beautiful and huge blossoms. However, they seem to be always white, which is the easiest color to see when it is dark.
Daiv, the Harrisia jusbertii did already flower last year. Then the small stem piece was dwarfed by the huge blossom. I got this plant as a stem section and I was afraid that the reserves and moisture that the basically unrooted cutting was going to expend would perhaps kill the plant. It did look a little emaciated after the flowering was over, but then it did recover.
In the meantime two more of my plants put out flowers. The first one, as also the second plant are repeat bloomers. By the time I arrived at my house - after having spent time at the cactus club meeting and also a little at work - it was already 3:30 p.m. and the colors were a little washed out. However, it is still a pretty cactus and deserving of the name "Pride of Texas". The plant in question is of course Thelocactus bicolor. Here are two images of it.

The next cactus in bloom is also a Thelocactus. This one also delights me with repeat flowering. Its name is Thelocactus setispinus.

There are some buds showing on two of my Echinopsis eyrisii plants. However, it will be some time before they will be ready. Also, some of the cacti have yet to bloom and may still do so. I am crossing my fingers!

Harald
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

You've got a good cross-section of plants to get such a long season of flowers Harald. Here, the cold-hardy's get all their blooms out of the way as fast as they can in spring and then it is just new pad growth.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Nice flowers. 8)
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

Nice pics Harald, the flowers of the T. setispinus with their red throats are sehr schoen!

-R
kevin63129

Post by kevin63129 »

Nice shots .That Harrisia bloom is great.
Addicted to crackti !
John C

Post by John C »

Nice ones! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Awesome shots and plants, very nice! :)
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thank you all for your kind comments. While some of my cacti have been flowering several times this year already, some others that did bloom years ago are not doing anything. This could be, because of the nematode problems I am plagued with. I am in contact with a scientist in India who will most likely give me some remedies, using microbial organisms to combat the root knot nematode. If that kind of treatment does work, my plants should be doing a lot better in the near future. :D

Harald
hegar

Post by hegar »

Well, finally I did get a series of good photos from a cactus that I had only seen with partially open, i.e. closed blossoms last year and also this one. While I was cleaning fallen leaves and blossoms that had fallen on my cacti from my Chitalpa tree I stumbled on this little fellow. Almost missed the flower on the Obregonia denegrii.
Here are a series of shots of the fully expanded blossom.

HaraldImage