Euphorbia lactea problems

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Mike

Euphorbia lactea problems

Post by Mike »

Hi,

I have serious problems with 2 euphorbia lactea, one variegated and the other veriegated crested. Both started going brown and mushy at the tips thoughout and it continuues to spread. The crest is history already and the other has undergone rather radical surgery. About half the time when I cut there is no latex.

Is this just some form of rot that manifests itself at the tips, not the base. I didn't water much, if at all, during the winter and the other euphorbias seem fine.

Thanks for any ideas.

Mike
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Mike,

I find them to be mysterious plants. Every time I think I've got them figured out, they get a little too much cold or wet and cold and start rotting on me.

The only thing I can say is, keep cutting down the stem until you get some sap. Check the roots and if they are in bad shape (probably) just leave it out keep it warm and dry until mid to late April (warm enough in SoCal) and root it like a cutting. My mentor (Harvey Welton) always says about euphorbia cuttings, that you can cut them in September, January, March or May and they will all glady root for you in May.
Buck Hemenway
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks buck, I have done some major surgery and we will see. Do you have the same issues wiht lactea - see my next post.
Mike
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

I had a beautiful crested variegated lactea grafted on pereskia. It appears it won't take any cold or humidity. Mine died a couple of months ago and it happened the very same to a friend who got one for Xmas. I have another friend who kept it at 15°C all winter long and it is OK.
Dominique