Native Pennsylvania cactus

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
Zhanna

Native Pennsylvania cactus

Post by Zhanna »

These are the only native cacti I've found so far in northeastern Pennsylvania! They certainly aren't impressive by Arizona or California standards, but we'll take what we can get around here. :D

They are located on gorgeous cliffs in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. If you have a GPS, you can find some of the cacti at N 41°17.849' W 074°49.747'.

—Our prickly little friends—

—Rocky cliffs to the south—

—View of fields and Delaware River—

—If the cacti had eyes, this is the view they'd have over the fields and river. They are slightly visible in the foreground, but difficult to see because of the shadows.—
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

THose are incredible views. :) Never heard of any cacti native to PA, could it be naturalized?

—If the cacti had eyes, this is the view they'd have over the fields and river. They are slightly visible in the foreground, but difficult to see because of the shadows.—
Googly Eyed Cacti! :!: :toothy10:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11022
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Great find and a breathtaking view. Thanks for sharing!
Tom2643

Post by Tom2643 »

Wow, I'm really sad I missed that when I was out in PA! It looks absolutely gorgeous! How far is that from Philly? I might have to go take a peek next time I'm out there.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Delaware Water Gap is a few hours by car from Philadelphia, maybe 4. Great photos, how wonderful to see Opuntia humifusa (aka Opuntia compressa) from my old home state of PA. Definitely native, Byron.

I grew up in Bethlehem. I also remember finding a few clumps of cacti along the Appalachian Trail somewhere in the Poconos, forget exactly where now.

Thanks for posting!

peterb
Zone 9
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

Tom, these "cactus cliffs" are located near Milford, in the northernmost part of the Delaware Water Gap NRA. Depending on where you'll be in Philly and what the traffic is like, you should be able to make it in under 3 hours.

If you need another reason to visit this particular spot, it's also the home of what we call the "million dollar toilet." (Not quite a million, but you get the idea: http://www.theplumber.com/outhouse.html) :roll:

Oh, and nearby Raymondskill Falls and Grey Towers are also very nice! :D
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

Peterb, I'll keep an eye out when I'm on the A-T. I've hiked all of NJ and most of central and northern PA on the Trail and I haven't noticed any other cacti clumps yet. :)

I'm further north, near Scranton. Bethlehem is a pretty area. And the weather there always seems much sunnier and warmer than up here!

I'm actually looking for another source of this same species. I'd love to see if they would grow in my yard, but taking anything from national park land is a no-no.
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

Byron, I loved the Googly Eyed sketch! I too have heard about such horrible acts of cactus mutilation but I haven't witnessed them firsthand. Just look at the poor things in the video clip ... they look mortified!
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Zhanna wrote: I'm actually looking for another source of this same species. I'd love to see if they would grow in my yard, but taking anything from national park land is a no-no.
The only location specific O. humifusa from the northeast I've seen for sale is from Mesa Garden. You can get a cutting from Chatham, Mass and also from Washington DC or they have seeds from Monmouth County, NJ.

BTW, awesome pictures!!
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

Thanks for the lead on Mesa Garden! I'll check them out.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the photos! For anyone interested in finding these cacti, I'd recommend going in the summer or fall. These photos were taken in August, a few years ago. The landscape doesn't look that pretty at this time of year! :( They flower in early July and are in fruit in the fall (but I'm not sure just when).
John C

Post by John C »

Nice views! And cacti!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
RayC

Post by RayC »

Very nice pics. I have traveled trhough that area a couple times, but only on the roads.

From my very limited knowledge it seems these rocky ridges where the tall trees can't live well are fairly popular spots for our native Cactus (besides sunny shorelines of course). The metacomet ridgeline here in Ct and Hudson highlands area in NY are other spots that sit up high and can support them.

As far as obtaining a plant or 2 it shouldn't be that difficult if your not to fussy about its origin.

Edge of the woods plant nusery in Orefield,Pa supposedly has them :

http://www.edgeofthewoodsnursery.com/perennials.php

and I'm fairly certain they may be at other local places.
Tripplebrook farm in Massachusetts (mail order place) also carries them, supposedly from connecticut shoreline source.
http://www.tripplebrookfarm.com/
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Ray- are the shoreline ones humifusa or some other form?

peterb
Zone 9
RayC

Post by RayC »

peterb wrote:Hi Ray- are the shoreline ones humifusa or some other form?

peterb
humifusa, it is the only native one aound here so I can only guess thats why they specify where it came from.
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

Thanks for more sources! I can't wait to try these. I have a spot that they may like.

I love hiking the Hudson highlands, but I haven't noticed any cacti there yet. I'll be sure to look for them!